Tinted Slacko 5.5-4G v0.5

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

Tinted Slacko 5.5-4G v0.5

#1 Post by Tman »

Tinted Slacko is based on Slacko 5.5-4G
The default window manager is Openbox + Tint2 panel. (Jwm is still installed)

Known issues
The "tint2conf" app is still flaky. but you can change themes with it. For the editor to work, it requires pygtk, pycairo, and pygobject to be installed.
The "properties" function is a teaser at this moment, as I can't seem to get it to work at all.

Thanks to 01micko who did most of the heavy lifting through the creation of Slacko. Click on the link below to download Tinted Slacko. Enjoy!

Download --> TintedSlacko-5.5-4G-v0.5 (163MB)
md5sum: b65a2a57359b1ecf5014bacdb82784bd

List of Changes for Tinted Slacko

Last edited by Tman on Sun 07 Jul 2013, 20:15, edited 10 times in total.

kros54

#2 Post by kros54 »

An earlier version (slacko5.3.3) I made two Hungarian puplet.
(February, 2013).
http://puppylinux.hu/phpbb3/viewtopic.p ... 6ef9ae2840

After, made from a special version, gamechannelpuppy:
http://puppylinux.hu/index.php?option=c ... d=8:puplet

http://www.gamechannel.hu/cikk/blog/gam ... lacko533hu

Especially playable, openJDK installed.
Openbox, tint2panel, and the other...
Attachments
slackoTM-1.jpg
(28.62 KiB) Downloaded 4240 times

ally

#3 Post by ally »

I have uploaded Tman's tinted build to the puppy linux archive here: https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxTintedSlackoV0.1

:)

Tman

#4 Post by Tman »

ally wrote:I have uploaded Tman's tinted build to the puppy linux archive here: https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxTintedSlackoV0.1
Thanks, Ally! :)

@kros,
Yes I was aware of your Hungarian puplet during the days when lithpr made Rexbang. 5 out of the 6 Tint2-Panel themes in this puplet are highly modified versions of themes that I got from Rexbang.

@everyone,
My old code to get firefox to autorecover after a crash doesn't seem to work in Slacko...I'm not sure what changed.
The old code was simple.

Code: Select all

killall firefox 2> /dev/null
sleep 2
yaf-splash -bg green -fg white -placement center -timeout 2 -text "loading.." &
exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"
I spent some time today making a script that would replace it. The new code below seems to be working for me.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
if [ "`pidof firefox`" != "" ]; then
  yaf-splash -bg orange -fg white -placement center -timeout 2 -text "ending old Firefox session.." &
  killall firefox
  while [ "`pidof firefox`" != "" ]; do
    sleep 1
  done
  exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
else
  yaf-splash -bg green -fg white -placement center -timeout 2 -text "loading.." &
  exec /usr/lib/firefox/firefox
fi
I have made a pet containing the code into /usr/bin/firefox_go.
The script is run from the .desktop file (Firefox from the menu)

Try installing this pet and when Firefox crashes, try relaunching Firefox from the menu to autorecover. Note you can only run one Firefox session at a time from the menu. But you can run multiple versions of firefox from /usr/bin/defaultbrowser.

defaultbrowser does not autorecover from crashes. This is the reverse way in which I have created my previous Firefox pets.
(just to confuse people :wink: ..no just kidding, I prefer it this way, now.)
Attachments
firefox_crash_recover-0.3.pet
(2.33 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
Last edited by Tman on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 15:19, edited 3 times in total.

Tman

#5 Post by Tman »

The shutdown icon in the launchbar does not yet work, due to the lack of PupShutdown. I will install it in the next release.

It appears that Slacko is lacking a Hash Tool.
Attached, are my compiled versions of gtkhash and ghasher.
Even though its a bit bigger, I think I prefer gtkhash becuase I can cut and paste with it. I will also add it to the next release.
Attachments
ghasher-1.2.1-s.pet
ghasher - slightly modified from original posted pet
(12.37 KiB) Downloaded 612 times
gtkhash-0.6.0-s.pet
Gtk hash
(28.28 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
gtkhash_NLS-0.6.0-s.pet
locales
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 635 times

Tman

#6 Post by Tman »

firefox_crash_recover-01.pet had an error with the desktop entry being in the wrong location :oops:
I have fixed it and uploaded firefox_crash_recover-0.2.pet (2 posts above)

Note: This pet assumes that your firefox files are located in the /usr/lib/firefox folder.
If this is not the case, than you will need to create a symlink folder named /usr/lib/firefox

Tman

#7 Post by Tman »

Tinted Slacko version 0.2 has been uploaded.
This version was mainly involved polishing the looks of the menu
by editing and simplifying the name entries in the .desktop files.

A few apps were removed, and some have been added.
Other apps were taken out of the menu, but can be restored with "Pmenu menu editor".

I actually started over with version 0.2, but this time I forgot to add the extra tint2 themes during the remaster process, so here is the pet for the 6 custom themes. (does not include /usr/share/tint2 folder - for the launcher icons).
Attachments
Tman_Tint2_themes-1.0.pet
custom tint2 themes
(2.85 KiB) Downloaded 676 times

Smithy

#8 Post by Smithy »

Nice job Tman, everything seems good, just the tooltips =1 in tint config, doesn't seem to get any tooltips, which is funny, because in the openbox plus pet, the tooltips wouldn't turn off!

It's definitely quite fast this 01 Micko Slacko, things seem to move snappier.
The main font doesn't seem quite as polished as ye olde three headed dog, and don't know if qt clearlooks can be turned on.

I tried to get tint going on Slacko and it was a disaster. Pup shutdown doesn't matter really (imo) there's shutdown, restart x on the menu.

Thanks for putting this out.

Tman

#9 Post by Tman »

Smithy wrote:Nice job Tman, everything seems good, just the tooltips =1 in tint config, doesn't seem to get any tooltips, which is funny, because in the openbox plus pet, the tooltips wouldn't turn off!
Hi Smithy,

That's strange, I remember making sure that the tooltips were on for each theme, cause I modified the tooltip colors for most of them.

There are 3 different options for tooltips that I see in the config file: launcher_tooltip, tooltip, and clock_tooltip
The tooltip=1 option refers to tooltips for apps you have opened. The other two should be self explanatory.

When adjusting the tint2rc file, you need to restart the x server for the changes to take effect.. or use the command killall -SIGUSR1 tint2 from the terminal.
hmmm.. I think I will add a "tint2 refresh" option in the openbox menu for the next release.

I had problems getting tint2 to compile in Slacko at first, until I recompiled imlib2.. tint2, openbox, obconf, and wbar all compiled properly afterwards.

About qt-clearlooks: I have no experience with that, and not so much experience with qt apps in general, except for VLC. The fonts are the normal fonts that came with Slacko. I may look for new fonts to add at a later time.. thanks for your interest in Tinted Slacko.

The mouse cursor theme in the pic below will be in the next release.
I already have a new remastered version, but it seems to early to post. I tend to remaster in small chunks nowadays. I will do a few more remasters until I release version 0.3.
Does anyone wish for me to add XFCE panel to the list? I like the speed and looks of tint2, but I can't deny that the XFCE panel is a lot easier to configure.
Attachments
tint2_tooltips.jpg
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 3513 times

Smithy

#10 Post by Smithy »

Thanks Tman, I was using a different config file, and just had to add the tooltips for launcher icons, which was missing. That sorted it.

Tman

#11 Post by Tman »

Smithy, it's good to hear that you got tooltips working.

@all
The previous Firefox autorecover pet still has a bug. The last line in /usr/bin/firefox script is missing a parameter: "$@"
Without it, htm files won't open properly when clicked on. :oops:
I have uploaded the pet again with some modifcations. Hopefully, "third time is a charm" and all major bugs have been squashed.

firefox_crash_recover-0.3.pet

Also, I expect to upload TintedSlacko version 0.3 sometime tommorrow.

Tman

#12 Post by Tman »

I've uploaded TintedSlacko version 0.3, however Smokey's server seems to be down at the moment.
I hope it will be up and runnning again soon.

ally

#13 Post by ally »

hey Tman

yours is my 1800th puppy....will get it mirrored to https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxTintedSlacko this evening

Tman

#14 Post by Tman »

Thanks, Ally.
Just FYI, I plan to release at least 2 more versions. The next one will have FFPMPEG, MPlayer, and GNOME Mplayer recompiled, along with a few more installed apps. Anything after that will mainly invovle bug-fixing whatever arises. I do find version 0.3 pretty stable for day-to-day use, though.
ally wrote:yours is my 1800th puppy....
Wow, do you mean 1800th download, or 1800th mirror of a puppy/derivative? If it's the latter, I didn't know there were that many in existence :shock:

ally

#15 Post by ally »

1800 puppy versions

have uploaded only 335 of them so far so a long way to go - need more bandwidth!!!!!!

Tote

#16 Post by Tote »

Hello Tman, downloaded the latest version, posting from it now. All seems to be working okay. Updated Firefox to latest version, no problems there so far.

Manual frugal install T61 Thinkpad.

Where's the Periodic Table?? :D

Tman

#17 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote: Where's the Periodic Table?? :D
Hi Tote, I have added Gperiodic to my list just for you. :wink:

@all
I've just finished remastering version 0.3.5 with a multimedia upgrade. I will test it out for a few days and do a few more tweaks before uploading version 0.4.

primusvs

Keystroke: keyboard commands default in Tinted Slacko

#18 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

first I want to thank you for your work.
Myself have already tested some versions of Puppy Linux, currently I like this version with Openbox and tint2.

It is possible to install two keyboard commands (Keystroke) as default in your Tinted Slacko

alt + F2 = start gexex

Openbox rc.xml file can insert this:
</keybind>
<keybind key="A-F2">
<action name="execute">
<execute>gexec</execute>
</action>
</keybind>

print key = Created a fullscreen Scrrenshot, better start a screenshot program.

Sorry that my english is so bad.

Best regards

primusvs

Tman

Re: Keystroke: keyboard commands default in Tinted Slacko

#19 Post by Tman »

Hi primusvs,

Ok, I will add those shortcut commands to the next release, but I will do it with xbindkeys-config tool
That way, it will be easier for other users to set up their own key bindings.
Slacko 5.5 does have xbindkeys, but I don't see the config-tool there.

primusvs

#20 Post by primusvs »

Hi Tman,

thanks for the implementation.

Best regards

primusvs