How to compile Broadcom driver in Fatdog and/or Lighthouse?

Booting, installing, newbie
grump

How to compile Broadcom driver in Fatdog and/or Lighthouse?

#1 Post by grump »

Firstly I have Slacko running quite nicely on my newish HP Pavilion 4108au laptop, which is plagued with a Broadcom 4313GN wireless card. I thought to give the 64bit pups a run, but both Fatdog and the beta Lighthouse don't like playing with the Broadcom wireless.

I have got Fatdog to play after some pampering, but the other one just picks it up and drops it straight away. I've followed the instructions in the FAQ and they seem to work - ie it picks up an ip but only holds it for a couple of seconds before disconnecting, that's what the on screen message says anyway. So I thought I'd get the STA stuff from Broadcom ( hybrid-portsrc_x86_64-v5_100_82_112.tar.gz ) and try to build the driver in Lighthouse following the instruction I found in eHow (see below). However, when in a terminal window and I get to the 'make ...' part of the process it says there is no 'make' command. I have not 'made' anything in Puppy before, but have compiled stuff in DOS and Windows eons ago (Clipper anyone?).

What am I missing?

http://www.ehow.com/how_7409148_add-sta ... linux.html

Step 3 says:
(After changing to the broadcom directory) Type "tar xzf <path-to-tarball>/hybrid-portsrc" and press "Tab" to auto-complete the name of the tarball. Press "Enter" to extract the tarball into the "broadcom" directory. Type "make" and press "Enter" to produce the "wl.ko" file.

Where has 'make' gone?

btw the laptop goes well in Fatdog

ally

#2 Post by ally »

I'm probably not the best person to answer never having compiled but I think you will need the devx file for compiling

:)

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

For drivers, you'll need the src pkg as well. It's 'puppy' >> *tab* >> 'linux' to get in.. Allys`devx? Possibly here.

mill0001

#4 Post by mill0001 »

peebee

#5 Post by peebee »

I'm afraid that http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76495 only has 32-bit drivers.....

For 64-bit drivers you would need to download the 64-bit source from Broadcom and then reapply the patches in post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=16

then compile having first loaded both the devx sfs and the kernel sources sfs

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

grump

#6 Post by grump »

Thank you pb and others - however I've given up on this for a while. I'm quite happy with Slacko for day to day use, and Fatdog64 works as well, even if it is low on pets etc.

I will try another time when I'm feeling like learning something new.