Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 17:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Free (US) Google Phone
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
sszindian

PostPosted: Mon 03 Jun 2013, 12:01    Post subject:  Free (US) Google Phone  

For those who may not know...

If you have a GMAIL account, there is an icon with a telephone graphic on it in the L/H window.

If you click on it, a dialog box opens where you can either type-in or click-select the telephone number you want to call... but FIRST... it will ask you to install a 'plug-in' click that, it offers either 32 or 64 bit for your system and the one you want for Precise is the 'Ubuntu' one. Download this to your computer. It is a 'deb' file and Precise-6.6.1 will automatically install it just like a .pet (may work with other Puppy's than Precise? all I can say is 'try it.')

Now, go back into your GMAIL click on the phone-icon, type in the number you want to call 'INCLUDING THE AREA CODE' (Not sure if spaces are allowed, I just type in one continuous number) then select 'call.'

I have a mic plugged into my setup, I speak through that and listen via the speakers.

Calling either 'LOCAL' or 'LONG-DISTANCE' is 'FREE' within the US or CANADA for US users, not sure about other countries, you have to check.

Pretty nice feature if you don't have a regular phone or you just want to eliminate that big phone bill every month!

I use Seamonkey and it works great.

'Thanks Google'

>>>---Indian------>

Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: