Batch deleting of desktop links possible in ROX?

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
gychang

Batch deleting of desktop links possible in ROX?

#1 Post by gychang »

I am running BionicPup64 and normally there is no desktop app as default setup with Rox.

The problem started when I was downloading .jpg files from my Olympus camera during active USB transfer. By mistake I dropped hundreds of picture files to desktop!!. Now I have links to the erased files in my camera. I am able to remove one by one with right-click but since there are many, is there a batch command or Rox setup that can fix this?

thanks,
Attachments
desktop.jpg
(67.3 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
---
trying to learn puppylinux... :D
---

Puppus Dogfellow

you can add and delete icons by editing the pinboard file

#2 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

enter

Code: Select all

geany /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
in a terminal and delete your versions of

<icon x="1358" y="576" label="">somefile.jpg</icon>
save the file then enter

rox --pinboard=/root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
into a terminal. the new pinboard should be lacking the icons you deleted the code for.

if you have no root1/left click menu, you should be able to select multiple desktop items and delete them by dragging the mouse with the left button depressed and then hitting delete or using the right click menu (iirc). you should also be able to batch drag items to relocate them this way.

hth

MochiMoppel

Re: Batch deleting of desktop links possible in ROX?

#3 Post by MochiMoppel »

gychang wrote:I am able to remove one by one with right-click but since there are many, is there a batch command or Rox setup that can fix this?
The easiest way is to drag a selection around all icons, then remove them with only one "Remove Item(s)"

To make this work you'll have to temporarily change ROX default options:
1) Right-click any icon -> ROX-Filer -> Options -> Compatibility -> uncheck option "Pass all backdrop mouse clicks to window manager"
2) Select the icons you want to remove by pressing left mouse button and dragging around the icons. Right-click and select "Remove Item(s)"
3) recheck option "Pass all backdrop mouse clicks to window manager" and push OK

Above method works with whatever pinboard ROX currently uses, which - if you are a power user - may not be PuppyPin.