facebook flash game issue (Marvel avengers alliance)

Please post any bugs you have found
evan_danner

facebook flash game issue (Marvel avengers alliance)

#1 Post by evan_danner »

hey..sorry if I'm posting this thread in the wrong place and if this already discussed.. i have an issue when playing facebook games (Marvel avengers alliance)..i can play this game but can't see the character animation when attacking my opponent..the screen went to black when i attack my opponent..even i still can play it, it will be more fun if i can see the character movement... :(

for information.
i'm using puppy studio 3.1 (lucid puppy 5.11), kernel 2.6.33.5,flahplayer 10.3.183, processor athlon xp, graphic card ati radeon 9600..
i don't have any problem when watching youtube video..

thanks and sorry for my bad english.. :)
Attachments
test.jpg
screen went black
(49.64 KiB) Downloaded 770 times

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

Have you tried using the latest version of Flash? (11.2.202.285, I believe.)

Also, how much RAM do you have in your system (physical and swap file/partition)?
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

evan_danner

#3 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:Have you tried using the latest version of Flash? (11.2.202.285, I believe.)
already tried to instal it makoto, but it became even worst.. i can't even watch youtube video.. :(
i already test it with another puppy derivatives (lazzy puppy) and end with the same result..

i have 512mb ram, 1024 for swap and 22gb partition..

James C

#4 Post by James C »

evan_danner wrote:
Makoto wrote:Have you tried using the latest version of Flash? (11.2.202.285, I believe.)
already tried to instal it makoto, but it became even worst.. i can't even watch youtube video.. :(
i already test it with another puppy derivatives (lazzy puppy) and end with the same result..
For what it's worth, on my Athlon XP boxes I can't run any flash newer than 10.3r183.

Last post is to the point
http://askubuntu.com/questions/122306/f ... st-updates

Might need an updated graphics driver.

evan_danner

#5 Post by evan_danner »

James C wrote:
evan_danner wrote:
For what it's worth, on my Athlon XP boxes I can't run any flash newer than 10.3r183.

Last post is to the point
http://askubuntu.com/questions/122306/f ... st-updates

Might need an updated graphics driver.
xorg_high from quickpet is the only graphics card driver works on my comp james.. :( maybe this issue related with my graphic card driver..

test another fb game (zynga poker) = works fine..
weird.. :x

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

Try right-clicking on a YouTube video, selecting Settings, and in the window that pops up, make sure "Enable hardware acceleration" is disabled in the Display settings; see if that helps.

A driver for your specific video card would probably still help, though. :)

Flash games do tend to chew up more resources than videos, unfortunately. I don't know if more RAM would help, offhand, but I wouldn't be surprised. :oops:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

evan_danner

#7 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:Try right-clicking on a YouTube video, selecting Settings, and in the window that pops up, make sure "Enable hardware acceleration" is disabled in the Display settings; see if that helps.

A driver for your specific video card would probably still help, though. :)

Flash games do tend to chew up more resources than videos, unfortunately. I don't know if more RAM would help, offhand, but I wouldn't be surprised. :oops:
still no luck makoto..well i never face issue like this in winxp.. but still i want to make puppy linux as my primary os..this is the first linux distro i ever try..and i love it.. :)

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

I've used Flash across at least five different OS platforms, and from what I've seen, it seems as though Adobe only really bothers to optimize (or maybe even support) the Windows version. Yes, I don't recall ever really having a problem with it under Windows. :|

My Puppy system (the one listed in my sig) was originally a Vista OEM system, so it's still a bit relatively recent hardware - yet even though I'm running an older version of Puppy, taking up less overhead than the newer versions, Flash 10 and 11 still can chew everything up and send the fans into overdrive. :(

evan_danner

#9 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:I've used Flash across at least five different OS platforms, and from what I've seen, it seems as though Adobe only really bothers to optimize (or maybe even support) the Windows version. Yes, I don't recall ever really having a problem with it under Windows. :|

My Puppy system (the one listed in my sig) was originally a Vista OEM system, so it's still a bit relatively recent hardware - yet even though I'm running an older version of Puppy, taking up less overhead than the newer versions, Flash 10 and 11 still can chew everything up and send the fans into overdrive. :(
i guess so makoto.. looks like I have to get used to play this game without animation .. lol ..

well.. although I have not been able to solve this problem but I am quite happy to know there are many people in this forum who are ready to help me when I have problems with puppy linux.

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

What browser are you using?

evan_danner

#11 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:What browser are you using?
i am using SRWare iron 12 and firefox 3.6.6.. i already tried to instal the lastest one for iron..but failed to launch..same goes to opera, chromium and chrome..i don't know why but i think it related with kernel compatibility..

Makoto

#12 Post by Makoto »

I'm not sure about that, but I can't rule it out. It's always a good idea, if there's any issues (like programs not starting), to try running them from the terminal and see if any error messages are shown. You generally have to know the name of the binary you want to run and the folder which it's in for that, though.

I think most versions of Chrome come with an up-to-date version of Flash as one of their internal components. That could be causing problems for you, if you're unable to use the latest versions of Flash.

As for Firefox 3... hmm, I wonder if the userscript I have for forcing Flash to lower-quality versions would help. You'd need to have the Greasemonkey or Scriptish extensions installed, however.

evan_danner

#13 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:I'm not sure about that, but I can't rule it out. It's always a good idea, if there's any issues (like programs not starting), to try running them from the terminal and see if any error messages are shown. You generally have to know the name of the binary you want to run and the folder which it's in for that, though.

I think most versions of Chrome come with an up-to-date version of Flash as one of their internal components. That could be causing problems for you, if you're unable to use the latest versions of Flash.

As for Firefox 3... hmm, I wonder if the userscript I have for forcing Flash to lower-quality versions would help. You'd need to have the Greasemonkey or Scriptish extensions installed, however.
i am truly new in linux makoto and still learn how to use it.. i still don't know how to use terminal correctly since i don't know what syntax i have to type to launch the program and still find out where the program installed.. i heard that AMD are really bad for linux..some driver refuse to work properly but it just the rumor i heard.. i already try using flash resizing addon from firefox but still no luck.. the weird thing is the video and flash works much better when i use my graphic card in versa mode.. :?

Makoto

#14 Post by Makoto »

Resizing the Flash display generally won't change anything else about the video - if you're already having problems, you'll still have them... just in a larger or smaller window.

That said, the FlashResizer add-on does appear to have a 'quality' setting, but I've heard most of the extension-based methods (FlashResizer, the "Low Quality Flash" extension, etc.) no longer work. I don't have Firefox 3 around to test, unfortunately.

What happens if you open the terminal from the 'console' (or 'terminal'?) icon on the desktop, and run one of the following commands?

For Firefox:

Code: Select all

firefox
or

firefox-bin
For Iron:

chrome-wrapper
Do you have an actual video card in the system, or a motherboard with an integrated graphics setup? If you're unsure, you can find more info on the system by using HardInfo (probably under the System category in the Puppy menu).
I don't know about issues with AMD processors, but I don't think it should have much of a bearing on the video setup. I could be wrong, though.

evan_danner

#15 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:Resizing the Flash display generally won't change anything else about the video - if you're already having problems, you'll still have them... just in a larger or smaller window.

That said, the FlashResizer add-on does appear to have a 'quality' setting, but I've heard most of the extension-based methods (FlashResizer, the "Low Quality Flash" extension, etc.) no longer work. I don't have Firefox 3 around to test, unfortunately.

What happens if you open the terminal from the 'console' (or 'terminal'?) icon on the desktop, and run one of the following commands?

For Firefox:

firefox
or

firefox-bin
For Iron:

chrome-wrapper
Do you have an actual video card in the system, or a motherboard with an integrated graphics setup? If you're unsure, you can find more info on the system by using HardInfo (probably under the System category in the Puppy menu).
I don't know about issues with AMD processors, but I don't think it should have much of a bearing on the video setup. I could be wrong, though.

when i type firefox in terminal it launch the firefox browser,,but i got "command not found" in firefox-bin and chrome-wrapper.. i'm not sure if my graphic card driver installed properly makoto... here's the info..

in hardinfo

-OpenGL-
Vendor : DRI R300 Project
Renderer : Mesa DRI R300 (RV350 4152) 20090101 AGP 8x x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE TCL

Version : 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1
Direct Rendering : Yes

in glxgears i got 2000 -> above frames in 5.0s..

Makoto

#16 Post by Makoto »

evan_danner wrote:when i type firefox in terminal it launch the firefox browser,,
If you start Firefox that way, and then leave the terminal window open, does it print any error messages when you visit the Facebook page and play the game?
i'm not sure if my graphic card driver installed properly makoto... here's the info..
It might help to start a new topic in the Beginner's subforum, asking for help in getting Puppy set up correctly with your video hardware... and perhaps someone will know what video drivers will work best (where to find them and install). I haven't worked with Puppy 5 yet (I'm intentionally sticking with my custom 4.3.1 for the time being), and I no longer have an ATI card around to test. :|

That said, if you don't mind upgrading your video card and RAM, that probably wouldn't hurt, either. I think (but I could be wrong) Puppy 5 requires 256MB of RAM by default (overhead, copying components into RAM, etc.), so you probably have less than half of the 512MB of RAM available, normally. Add Flash games' chewing up resources to that, and... :(

evan_danner

#17 Post by evan_danner »

Makoto wrote:
evan_danner wrote:when i type firefox in terminal it launch the firefox browser,,
If you start Firefox that way, and then leave the terminal window open, does it print any error messages when you visit the Facebook page and play the game? ==didn't test it yet makoto..but i will test it soon and report it.
i'm not sure if my graphic card driver installed properly makoto... here's the info..
It might help to start a new topic in the Beginner's subforum, asking for help in getting Puppy set up correctly with your video hardware... and perhaps someone will know what video drivers will work best (where to find them and install). I haven't worked with Puppy 5 yet (I'm intentionally sticking with my custom 4.3.1 for the time being), and I no longer have an ATI card around to test. :|
==thanks for the suggestion makoto..i have a bad feeling it must be related with ATI fglrx..
That said, if you don't mind upgrading your video card and RAM, that probably wouldn't hurt, either. I think (but I could be wrong) Puppy 5 requires 256MB of RAM by default (overhead, copying components into RAM, etc.), so you probably have less than half of the 512MB of RAM available, normally. Add Flash games' chewing up resources to that, and... :(
i already planning to upgrading my ram and video card..but still i'm curious
about this issue.. but i guess it's better to create a new topic as you suggest
:) thanks makoto