Skype 4.2.0.13

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
fobq

#16 Post by fobq »

hi,
I installed exprimo.sfs in Puppy Precise 5.7.1, skype starts, but I can not sign in with my MS Outlook account, but I can sign in from firefox. What does it mean, I am really confused. Where should I sign in? See the picture.
- the ubuntu precise.sfs the same-
Attachments
capture30917.png
(116.83 KiB) Downloaded 859 times

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello fobq,

Probably best to use the Precise Skype in Precise Puppy.

The Microsoft account sign-in feature has never worked. If anyone knows how to fix this I would be interested to hear from them, but it is not essential.

The best way to sign in to Skype is with a Skype account ID. These are easy to set-up via the skype.com website.
Oscar in England

watchdog

#18 Post by watchdog »

I found that Skype access by Microsoft Account will work only with a connection speed up 3 Mbps.

shinji243

#19 Post by shinji243 »

with puppy slacko 5.3.3 i use skype-4.2.0.11-slacko14.0.pet it work good only u must close with another window the video of yourself besause the video of the other one not stable

fobq

#20 Post by fobq »

Thanks for info. I installed the Precise.sfs and created an individual skype account. Now, it is working, so I won't change it, for the present.

NickAu

#21 Post by NickAu »

Skype-4.2.0.11-Precise .SFS

Working fine on 5.7.1 Precise

drblock2

Working in Quirky 6.0.4

#22 Post by drblock2 »

The skype-4.2.0.11-wheezy.pet is working in Quirky Tahr 6.0.4. I was not able to get it to work in 6.0.2 and earlier versions.

watchdog

#23 Post by watchdog »

Skype 4.2.0.13 bugfix released. I'm using it in wary 5.3 after manual install. I think no need of urgent update.

watchdog

#24 Post by watchdog »

Skype 4.3.0.37 released. Working well in wary 5.3 after manual install and qt 4.7.1 libraries.

Edit: pulseaudio required. See below.
Last edited by watchdog on Thu 19 Jun 2014, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#25 Post by OscarTalks »

Skype 4.3.0.37 for Linux is not ideal for Puppy

Alsa support is disabled.
You are required to install Pulse Audio
How stupid is that?
Oscar in England

watchdog

#26 Post by watchdog »

Sorry. I missed to make a test call and so I did not get aware of this. It shows a virtual microphone and a virtual speaker. I have read the releases note: pulseaudio 1 onward required. Is there a chance to use latest skype in puppy? It is not a problem for me: there are a lot of alternatives. Now only a browser is needed to voip call. Sorry again.

OscarTalks

#27 Post by OscarTalks »

Very poor of Microsoft to release the new Skype built in this way.

Regarding the issue of avatars not working (which I think was mentioned in another thread) I have figured out that this is because with my slightly unorthodox method the Qt image format plugins are needed and not found. I think people using the official Skype along with a suitable full Qt package will not experience this problem but I am not certain.

Anyway, I have attempted to add the plugins and have re-uploaded most of the packages to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks. Avatars should now be working in most of them. The Racy one is refusing to work (maybe because of the libstdc++ upgrade, not sure) and I haven't tested the Exprimo one yet.

The other feature I can't find in 4.2.0.13 which is definitely present and works in 2.2.0.35 is the ability to open up a number dial pad from the call window which can be used to send tones during a call that is in progress. This is for if you are required to "Press 1 for this or press 2 for that or press 3 for the other" after the connection has been made. The dial pad which you use to initiate a call does not seem to work for this purpose which is why in 2.2.0.35 you have this second dial pad.
Oscar in England

ozsouth

Skype woes - my best option - 4.0.0.8

#28 Post by ozsouth »

The package below (4.0.0.8) is the only one I can get working - yes, it's big (40mb), but qt not required (probably enclosed). All the things I expect to work just do.
In Slacko 5.6 & 5.7 & Upup 3.8.3.1, skype 4.2.0.11 & 4.1.0.20 showed people still online who had quit days before. 2.2.0.35 just crashed constantly.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... .0.0.8.sfs

redandwhitestripes

#29 Post by redandwhitestripes »

I can't get chat to work in conference calls. A visit to the skype blog suggests this is because Skype are using a "cloud chat" system which for some reason is not supported on the Linux platform :x

That's a big blow for me. Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

BTW I'm using 4.2.0.11, on Precise. Sorry I can't remember the original package I downloaded

SlackerPup

#30 Post by SlackerPup »

I'm not sure I understand how any of this works. :(

"Dependency libraries" are mentioned in the opening post, are these builds dependent on certain files that I'll need to get somewhere else? I'm running a Live CD of Puppy Slacko 5.7. I tried to download Skype using the Puppy Package Manager, but it didn't work when I clicked it, most likely because a certain file was needed to make it work, I think.

Now I've found these, but I'm not sure how I would get them to work. Which PET file do I pick?

OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello SlackerPup,

In the first post I said that the Skype package has been "combined with" dependency libraries which means that the dependency libraries have been included. Sorry if that was a little unclear, but the idea is that you should be able to install just this one package and it should all work.

I take it you are running Puppy as Live CD with a save-file somewhere?

For Slacko 5.7 you should try the slacko14.0 Skype .pet package.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skype-4. ... ko14.0.pet
Just download it and click on it to install.
Or you could load the .sfs version instead if you want to use less save-file space.

@ redandwhitestripes
I do know that Microsoft have recently made some changes to the Skype system so some features may no longer be working.

As you can read in the above posts, they have now released a newer Skype for Linux which is intended to offer a fix, but it will not work in Puppy because alsa is disabled and pulseaudio is needed. Puppy does not ship with pulseaudio and I do not know if it can be easily installed or if Puppy users would want to do that anyway.
Oscar in England

baszek

#32 Post by baszek »

For precise 5.7.1 I should use 4.2.0.13 pet from http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/ ?
Somehow my 4.2.0.11 skype stopped working - can't connect during login, I get some connection warning.

snayak

#33 Post by snayak »

Same here.

My skype 4.0.0.8 (on fatdog 64) also stopped working (login failed) from today.

Now we have to go for skype 4.3.0.37.

How to make skype 4.3.0.37 for 64bit fatdog?
Any idea?

Sincerely,
Srinivas Nayak
[Precise 571 on AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB RAM]
[Fatdog 720 on Intel Pentium B960 with 4GB RAM]

[url]http://srinivas-nayak.blogspot.com/[/url]

saintless

#34 Post by saintless »

Edit: Does not work anymore since 08.08.2014

For anyone using older versions like Skype 2.1 and Skype 2.2:
Starting skype with this script works for me every time to login.
Name it start-skype for example:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

rm -f /root/.Skype/shared.lck
rm -f /root/.Skype/shared.xml
rm -fr /root/.Skype/shared_httpfe
rm -fr /root/.Skype/shared_dynco
Move it in /usr/bin and type start-skype in terminal. Make sure to quit Skype before running start-skype again. Logout is not enough.

This doesn't work for Skype 4.2
Last edited by saintless on Fri 08 Aug 2014, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#35 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello saintless,

Thanks for the tip. I have just tried it and it does work. You have to click to accept the licence at each start-up but that is a very minor thing.

I have made a modified version of Skype 2.2.0.35-new which I have uploaded as .pet and .sfs to http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

I still like this old faithful version although I believe the video may not work so audio calls only. Until we get a better solution this may be helpful to some users.
Oscar in England