Java Add-in and SeaMonkey

Booting, installing, newbie
PuppyUser2309

Java Add-in and SeaMonkey

#1 Post by PuppyUser2309 »

I just installed Wary Puppy today (booting from a CD) and this is my first experience with any Linux. In trying to surf with the SeaMonkey version that came with Puppy, I realized that Java wasn't installed. I think I've managed to install it, but Java still isn't showing up in the add-ins. I know there are instructions on the Java website, but I don't understand Linux well enough to follow them. Can someone give me the Dummies version?

Thanks

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

What type of Java file?
(official .bin or .tar, .pet package, or SFS?)

When you go to Edit / Preferences / Advanced in the SeaMonkey drop-down menu, is Java enabled?
(Might be laid out differently in your SeaMonkey version; mine's much older.)

Barkin

#3 Post by Barkin »

There sfs and pet packages which install JAVA automatically ... http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77821

PuppyUser2309

#4 Post by PuppyUser2309 »

The file I downloaded is called: jre-7u21-linux-i586.tar.gz

I thought I extracted and installed it somewhere yesterday but now I can't figure out where. In SeaMonkey, under Preferences, Advanced, I see scripts and plugins - there JavaScript is enabled. But I don't see any mention of Java elsewhere in the preferences. In the Add-on manager it's not listed under my plug-ins.

Barkin - I took a look at the thread you mentioned but it's way over my head.

Barkin

#5 Post by Barkin »

PuppyUser2309 wrote: I thought I extracted and installed it somewhere yesterday but now I can't figure out where. In SeaMonkey, under Preferences, Advanced, I see scripts and plugins - there JavaScript is enabled. But I don't see any mention of Java elsewhere in the preferences. In the Add-on manager it's not listed under my plug-ins.
It's some time since I last installed JAVA , I think you have to create a symlink to JAVA in the browser's plugins folder, then JAVA appears in the browser's add-on manager ...
For Seamonkey-1.x, follow next steps after you load this SFS.

1. Remove the link, /usr/mozilla/plugins/libnpjp2.so.
2. Make a link to /usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so as /usr/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so.
3. Enable Java from the Seamonky menu, Edit > Preferences > Advanced.
4. Visit http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp to check JAVA
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61287

watchdog

#6 Post by watchdog »

PuppyUser2309 wrote:The file I downloaded is called: jre-7u21-linux-i586.tar.gz
I have experienced that the latest java jre-7u21 does not work in puppy 4.31 and probably wary with mozilla browsers. Use a previous version of java, jre-7u11 for example. Here you can find a sfs module:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4U ... sp=sharing

You don't need to activate the plugin in mozilla browsers: it's unsecure. I install jre only for libreoffice. If you use noscript extension you can activate the plugin at need with caution.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

I can add that I have not been able to get JRE-6 to work with the Seamonkey browser provided with Puppy 412 and Puppy 431. Opera 11 has no problems.

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

watchdog wrote:I have experienced that the latest java jre-7u21 does not work in puppy 4.31 and probably wary with mozilla browsers. Use a previous version of java, jre-7u11 for example. Here you can find a sfs module:
I've been using TheAsterisk!'s version of the JRE (7u21), as an SFS, with my Puppy 4.3.1 setup with no problems. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371

Actually, the latest is now 7u25. I don't know when it was updated, but I was 'forced' to update a Windows system to 7u25 this afternoon.

nic007: You might try the SFS or .pet for JRE 1.6u45 in the topic I linked above, and see if they work.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

Makoto wrote:
watchdog wrote:I have experienced that the latest java jre-7u21 does not work in puppy 4.31 and probably wary with mozilla browsers. Use a previous version of java, jre-7u11 for example. Here you can find a sfs module:
I've been using TheAsterisk!'s version of the JRE (7u21), as an SFS, with my Puppy 4.3.1 setup with no problems. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67371
I confirm Makoto. I have done some trials. Perhaps it depends on the browser's version. I used the Asterisk's sfs. Seamonkey 2.17.1 in puppy 4.31 does not see the plugin jre 7u21. Sometimes in the past it happened that some update of java did not work for the latest seamonkey.

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

Actually, I've disabled Java in both Firefox and Seamonkey, on my setup. Ever since Mozilla started actively 'disabling' older versions of Java from working within the browser (or at least actively (constantly) warning you about them), I decided I'd disable it in the browsers until I'd actually need it. :oops:

I'll see if I can enable it to test (if I can remember how :mrgreen: ), though I suspect that now that 7u25's been released, my 7u21 will end up being disabled or flagged. :(

Edit: Hmm... looks like the version of the Java plugin in both my browsers is still listed as 7u13, which I know a lot of things will gripe about. :shock:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Dewbie

#11 Post by Dewbie »

nic007 wrote:
I can add that I have not been able to get JRE-6 to work with the Seamonkey browser provided with Puppy 412 and Puppy 431. Opera 11 has no problems.

This 6u26 version should work with all of the above.
Edit:
Only use it with 2.14x.
Details in fourth post here.

I posted the desktop menu entry for it here.
It should be installed after 6u26.
Last edited by Dewbie on Wed 14 Aug 2013, 17:28, edited 2 times in total.

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

JO six is @ forty-five.. I usually bypass dated maintainer pkgs and install it <if need be> myself.

For v7, see the Linux workaround >> The Oracle Java 7 plugin does not work with SeaMonkey