PUPPYLINUXSTUFF/MEOWNPLANET.NET..

News, happenings
Caneri

#16 Post by Caneri »

Hi russoodle,

After all this time it's best to let your vps die...rebuild if you want, but I would let it die and let the ftp users find new space "aka" rebuild a server from new files.

All those files are now suspect and not to be trusted as far as I'm concerned.

All my best Suzz,

Ericz
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

Caneri

#17 Post by Caneri »

To Add,
Russodle,

It's amazing how fast ftp users will find new servers to upload to...I would take a break and save some money. Rest and move on Suzzz

I will take some of your users if they can handle my restrictions.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

russoodle

Future of PuppyLinuxStuff..

#18 Post by russoodle »

Hey Ericz,

Yes, although the files are supposed to be ok, i guess they are suspect, so they'll have to go...i have a fair bit of stuff backed up locally, so not everything will be lost.

I've sacked my host for their heel-dragging handling of this crapola but i won't save any money because i'm transferring shortly to a new host (VPS) :roll: Yeah, i can't help myself.... have to rebuild the site from scratch and will also try to have a better-organised setup this time, although being well-organised is not something i'm usually accused of!

Thanks for your offer to host some of the users from my server - i guess it's up to them to decide what they want to do, but i imagine most of them will be tired of waiting around..

Cheers matey..
Suzzz
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

penguinpowerppp

#19 Post by penguinpowerppp »

If not already done, only allow FTP write access over SSH. Gftp handles it fine and plain old ftp can be hacked by any script kiddy.

Dingo

Re: Future of PuppyLinuxStuff..

#20 Post by Dingo »

russoodle wrote:Hey Ericz,
Yes, although the files are supposed to be ok, i guess they are suspect,
a dumb question:

if you change the md5sum of files by adding nothing but else than a simple space at bottom of files like this:

Code: Select all

for f in *.pet; do echo " " >>$f; done
can be this enough or not to avoid the need of deletion? It is possible I don't read carefully
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

Caneri

#21 Post by Caneri »

@penguinpowerppp
Gftp handles it fine
Yup that's true...but ssh offers another quandary/security question.

Suzzz..be well and enjoy the new...Eric

@Dingo..I don't know how to answer you question...interesting question..do you have a fix?
Chinese Proverb[/color]

russoodle

#22 Post by russoodle »

@penguinpowerppp: thanks for your input, it's hard to know sometimes just how to keep all the pondscum out :)

Hi Dingo....i'm afraid i'm in the same boat as Caneri regarding your potential solution....i doubt you're dumb, or that your question is, but i don't have an answer for it....anybody...??

Thanks Eric, same back at you..

Cheers,

russoodle
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

russoodle

Light At The End of the Tunnel..

#23 Post by russoodle »

UPDATE: Sat. July 20, OZ-time

Nearly ready to go again - clean server and clean backups (no dirty laundry here, fellas!), so it's a matter of my time over the next couple of days while i reinstall and restore our PuppyLinuxStuff....for now, the eyes and brain are feeling sluggish, so i'm off to get some shuteye and charge my batteries..

cheers,
russoodle :)

Karl Godt

#24 Post by Karl Godt »

Hi russoodle !
Glad you figured things . :)

Would you mind to post some stats and statistics of your former Virtual Private Server
( OS, net traffic , HDD space , etc ) ?

Had read about all this and am now reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_server .

Seems that they had trouble to disentangle the OS that run the board and the guest operating systems , but were too proud to admit such .

Cheers !

russoodle

#25 Post by russoodle »

Hi Karl,

Regarding stats....the server OS was CentOS, i had 100GB disk-space and 3TB bandwidth limit, so plenty of d/l allowance to play with. If you're hosting popular large files like iso and sfs, it's amazing how quickly that bandwidth can go! :lol: I still have 100GB disk-space but a 4TB bandwidth limit now, which is great :wink: I also have a couple of dedicated IP addresses. Backups are included on the plan, too....hope i won't be needing them but good to know they're there!

Because it was a VPS, i also was allowed a dedicated share of the resources, such as RAM, CPU etc., which you don't get on a shared hosting account, although sites like smokey01.com are very fast to d/l from, so i believe he has one of the better share-account hosts around.

I'm not sure what your last comment refers to but i'm guessing my former host..? Yes, apparently he'd become ill but, instead of being upfront and admitting that things had become too much for him, (he "managed" it for me), he just let it slide and said nothing....when the s*** hit the fan, i had to contact him about it. Anyway, my VPS is now managed at top level - no resellers :)

Have a great day!

russoodle

zigbert

#26 Post by zigbert »

The zigbert repo is back on track.
My threads are updated.

Thanks a lot to Suzie!!!
Sigmund

Saturn

#27 Post by Saturn »

Hi, were the brain wave files damaged?

I don't have any back-ups of those files and I would think, they were a bit outdated anyways....

But I also have gotten a new VPS, perhaps I could mirror you, in case of another incident?

Anyways, for the Thread that describes my Repository, it is here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... viewresult

Also the Host I have(dream-host) has a nifty Pay-pal donation button I can use.

Announcer

#28 Post by Announcer »

Right on russoodle, glad to hear you got everything sorted!

I see my files are accessible again, thanks. :)

russoodle

Index and links pages up...

#29 Post by russoodle »

Hi again, guys..

Finally have index and links pages up, so it doesn't look like no-one's home anymore!
Still have one or two large backups to upload, but everything else is shipshape again, thank dog.

@zigbert: You're welcome Sigmund, just sorry it took so long :)

@Saturn: Hi matey....no, none of our puppy files were affected - what happened was that the creeps hacked in and used my server for a phishing scam base....i suspect they injected their poison into php files on my sister's wordpress site that was housed on my server, but i've taken that down as it's not current anyway...
Good to see you're on track with another repo and of course, you can mirror some files if you wish, thank you...you can never have too many sources :wink:

@Announcer: Yes, it's an enormous relief to have normal sailing again :D

Cheers!

darkcity

#30 Post by darkcity »

Is meownplanet.net down today? I can't get it.

russoodle

#31 Post by russoodle »

darkcity wrote:Is meownplanet.net down today? I can't get it.
Grrrr...sorry darkcity, it does seem to be down at present, no idea why but will be checking into it when i'm back on the computer (on phone at the moment)...sorry for the inconvenience, am is jinxed or something?? :-(

darkcity

#32 Post by darkcity »

No worries, just thought I'd flag it. 8)

russoodle

#33 Post by russoodle »

Hi darkcity....(i meant i was not home near the computers but out and posting from phone.. )..anyway, have discovered the reason and all should be back in order soon :wink:

My fault - been away a fair bit lately so underlying issue is lack of communication on my part :oops:

darkcity

#34 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for the speedy re-up, and for continuing to provide this resource 8)

starhawk

#35 Post by starhawk »

russoodle -- I sent you a PM, as I have something to upload and my password's been changed. Please send me a new one as soon as you can :)

Also -- it would be good to have a contact email on your website's front page... just sayin'.