Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tlchost

Pidgin Logs

#16 Post by tlchost »

I normally move .purple out of /root to /mnt/home and use a symlink to keep it out of the save file anmd share it between various puppies.

LHP has it in /root/spot and moving it to /mnt/home and using a symlink will not allow log files to be written.

Is there a work around?

Thanks

Q5sys

Re: Pidgin Logs

#17 Post by Q5sys »

tlchost wrote:I normally move .purple out of /root to /mnt/home and use a symlink to keep it out of the save file anmd share it between various puppies.

LHP has it in /root/spot and moving it to /mnt/home and using a symlink will not allow log files to be written.

Is there a work around?

Thanks
You might have to move just the /spot/ directory alone and symlink it.
I know with 601 and older versions I've been able to symlink folders in /root/.config/ out to other places without problems.
I know with 601 and older, TazOC has also had an option in place to allow a user to have installed programs placed outside the save file in /mnt/home. There might be something there that would explain why that works. I've never personally tested that though, so I cant speak for how it works.

Billtoo

Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4

#18 Post by Billtoo »

I installed Lighthouse64 602 with the universal installer.
I installed the proprietary Nvidia driver for the card in this pc.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 30 Jun 2013 on Lighthouse64 602 Linux 3.8.7 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidiaCorporationGF108[GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32

AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Core 0: @800 1: @800 2: @800 3: @800 4: @800 5: @800 MHz

The wireless setup with the network wizard, I installed vlc-2.0.6,PupSnap,
and the newest flash plugin with the Update icon on the desktop.

It's working well so far, looks real nice.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(33.06 KiB) Downloaded 1061 times

edoc

#19 Post by edoc »

OK, y'all strategically-ignored me long enough so that I fumbled my way to the right Menu and figured out the right (don't use Radeon driver) modifier.

Now I have to figure out in Personalize Settings z.1.8.4-L64 what to do about the driver.

The Vesa it used by default looks fine to me but I am guessing may cause problems in certain apps?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

Q5sys

#20 Post by Q5sys »

edoc wrote:OK, y'all strategically-ignored me long enough so that I fumbled my way to the right Menu and figured out the right (don't use Radeon driver) modifier.

Now I have to figure out in Personalize Settings z.1.8.4-L64 what to do about the driver.

The Vesa it used by default looks fine to me but I am guessing may cause problems in certain apps?
lol. I havent pulled down the new ISO yet, so i havent had time to mess around with the UEFI stuff yet.
So you did get your system up and running?

tlchost

Re: Pidgin Logs

#21 Post by tlchost »

[quote="Q5sys"]
You might have to move just the /spot/ directory alone and symlink it.
[/quit]

No luck....and when I tell the system to reboot....it just sits there til the cows come home and then I have to do a hard reboot.

And so, like Barry's recent stuff this OS simply doesn't work for me. Shame, as it looked impressive.

edoc

#22 Post by edoc »

Q5sys wrote:
edoc wrote:OK, y'all strategically-ignored me long enough so that I fumbled my way to the right Menu and figured out the right (don't use Radeon driver) modifier.

lol. I havent pulled down the new ISO yet, so i havent had time to mess around with the UEFI stuff yet.
So you did get your system up and running?
Yes, it's beautiful ... so far so good ... just need to resolve the graphics thing right now.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

Vesa for Radeon?

#23 Post by edoc »

Ran xorgwizard and it recommended Vesa as best I could sort out - Probe failed to a command line prompt - xorgwizard-puppy just cycled back to the menu.

There is an Openbox Syntax error pup-up noting XML syntax errors.
The last error seen was in file "root/.config/openbox/menu.xml" line 136 with message Extra content at the end of the document
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

Grub OK to dual boot Win7 & 602-B2?

#24 Post by edoc »

Will Grub work with 602-B2 where UEFI is involved?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

One of the primary reason this "freaking" thing comes up< as it was referenced by an earlier member, is that there is no standard acceptable method prescribed when distros are released on what should be done to help both articulate, understand, report, and get feedback on video issues. Some documentation that accompany's the distro probably is needed for this kind of problem.

TaZoC has done a really creditable job in documenting much of what we can encounter. But this specific problem is not one of those

This kind of problem along with the frustrations of some are a little disheartening when frustrations run high causing un-intended responses.

to provide better information lets look at the facts.
  1. this site shows what is supported by the driver ===> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-319.23-driver.html
  2. My system's Hardinfo reports shows the GTS250 adapter identified by the system hardware as shown below
  3. The message still surfaces for a supported adapter
So, am I to believe my system's hardware report, the nVidia site's report, or the message generated by the system?

Please refrain from flying off the handle again. Replies and behavior as such is not good for any of this community. Although, I'm sure you're trying to help by your emphasis. But, in this case, the system information gives a picture different than what you describe.

If there are other tools that development would like me/others to use to give a better view of what's going on, ask and it will be given/shared.

The NOUVEAU driver is working OK. I thought that possibly the nVidea driver would add video responsiveness or reduce CPU loadings. So there must be a mismatch in system reporting or as the message indicates something is missing somewhere. This is why I posted my findings for review.

If i am mis-interpreting the information I am looking at, please guide me appropriately so that I and others have a reference for future use. And, if there is other system information that would bear more light to help, please advise.

Any ideas on this problem would be appreciated or any information that we can provide to help, expect that it will be given.

Here to help
Attachments
VideoAdapter_in_PC.png
The video adapter in the PC as seen via Hardinfo
(134.23 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
Supported_adapters2.png
nVidea shows supports for the adapter
(32.76 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times
desktop start message after UPDATEs nVidia PET installation.png
Message gotten after nVidea selected in Update Utiltiy
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 1056 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 01 Jul 2013, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4

#26 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my Lighthouse64 602 install to another pc (SDHC card plugged
into a usb card reader) and booted it up.
I had to recompile the proprietary Nvidia driver and set to wireless
up again but that only took a few minutes.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Sun 30 Jun 2013 on Lighthouse64 602 Linux 3.8.7 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.3
dimensions: 3840x1080 pixels (1049x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core 0: @1600 1: @1600 2: @1600 3: @1600 4: @1600 5: @1600 6: @1600
7: @1600 MHz

It's working well here too.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(36.68 KiB) Downloaded 998 times

Marv

lid suspend

#27 Post by Marv »

Found one very small flea affecting lid suspend on the Fujitsu s6520 laptop I reported on earlier.
Suspend occurred correctly on lid closure, wireless shut down ok. On reopening, x restarted, network enabled, frisbee acquired a lease... and then it immediately suspended again.

Cause is, in /etc/acpi/events,lid calls /etc/acpi/action/suspend.sh for any lid event, open or close. Could put a test in it so only a closure calls suspend.sh but the appropiate test already exists in lines 4 through 7 of /etc/acpi/actions/suspend.sh. I uncommented those lines as below and changed the comment line slightly to better reflect what it does

Code: Select all

# do not suspend on lid open event
if [ "$(cat /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state | grep open)" != "" ] ; then
exit
fi
and the false resuspend is gone.

I also Installed lxappearance from the repository mostly to switch icon themes. Works fine. I just start it in a terminal for now. Both tint2 and conky are set up and working just fine, but by resetting the bottom margin to 0 pixels in the openbox config, the Lxpanel now has full transparency and I'm happy enuf with it.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

gcmartin

#28 Post by gcmartin »

couple weeks ago I posted a problem that I'm having with a HP laptop. I aasked devlopers to hold off as the latest LH64 was eminent. Now that LH64-602 is here, i just tested and find same issues as reported there ===> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=708924#708924

The laptop's use of the Wifi works without issue in Vista, but, in Linux, it does NOT, even with the newer kernel. All symptoms are exactly as they were before.

Questions
  1. Is there a LH64/FATDOG document that might lead to either resolution or recommendation?
  2. Is there anything development would like me to present which could provide insights to resolution?
Thanks for any guidance in an effort to resolve

Q5sys

#29 Post by Q5sys »

gcmartin wrote:
Please refrain from flying off the handle again. Replies and behavior as such is not good for any of this community. Although, I'm sure you're trying to help by your emphasis. But, in this case, the system information gives a picture different than what you describe.

If i am mis-interpreting the information I am looking at, please guide me appropriately so that I and others have a reference for future use. And, if there is other system information that would bear more light to help, please advise.

Any ideas on this problem would be appreciated or any information that we can provide to help, expect that it will be given.

Here to help

Gcmartin,
Please confirm
m the exact card you have. Your first post stated you had the GTX 250. Now you are reporting that you have the GLS 250. Those are difference cards. One I spported by Nvidias driver and one is not. Accurate information is needed for support.
If you have the gls250, then there is a support issue we need to look into; however if you have the gtx 250, as you first reported, there is little we can so.

gcmartin

#30 Post by gcmartin »

The images from the system shows what the system has on its video peripheral. That information is the same when "video...glx" is run in a terminal/console.

Maybe, there is a better way to approach this, from a developer's perspective (if there are other ways, maybe it can also be posted).

For nVidia
Maybe an approach can be documented which takes any user from the normal Nouveau driver to, say, the "nv" driver, then assuming that worked, a user can be advise to attempt installation of the PET that brings in the latest from driver for adapter functions. If you agree, then, so that the community has your approach documented, it could serve as a guide for all of us in the community. And, when users report, they could be steered to the supporting documentation for guidance.

This would have the added benefit of reducing the frustration level, too.

What say you?

irishrm

#31 Post by irishrm »

Installed to usb.

Excellent work, can't wait to try it out but still stuck with my usual problem i.e: broadcom wl driver.

Maybe peebee or someone might oblige.

I have the multipet but need a delta for the kernel.

Thanks.
irishrm.

Jim1911

Lighthouse 64 602 beta2

#32 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi TazOC,

Working great, including all software tested on my hardware. :D Thanks for separating out the Wine sfs. It's much simpler to use now.

One problem: With 5KDE-4.6.5-x86_64-H.sfs and Gvfs-1.12.3-x86_64-3.sfs loaded, I am still unable to switch to the KDE window manager (WM). When WM tries to start it shows an error: "kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails. The error code is 127." Clicking on OK provides the shutdown screen and allows me to switch to another WM. All other WM work fine.

Thanks again for another super distribution, you continue to outdo yourself. :D
Jim

@gcmartin
gcmartin wrote:. . .For nVidia
Maybe an approach can be documented which takes any user from the normal Nouveau driver to, say, the "nv" driver, then assuming that worked, a user can be advise to attempt installation of the PET that brings in the latest from driver for adapter functions. If you agree, then, so that the community has your approach documented, it could serve as a guide for all of us in the community. And, when users report, they could be steered to the supporting documentation for guidance. . . .
For me, it's better to include guidance in the release notes. No need to be directed elsewhere. This information in the release notes worked for me:
"For Nvidia press 'N' at the boot menu for the 7th entry or use blacklist=nouveau in Grub
If you experience a blank screen, problems with console or reboot, choose 'For severe video problems - disable KMS, use wizard' at the boot menu, (LiveCD) or add this to the kernel line in your Grub config: nomodeset pfix=vesa,ram"

Hardware: NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

edoc

#33 Post by edoc »

Grub4DosConfigConfig - Error

Boot flag not found on sda.
How should I proceed, please?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

tazoc

#34 Post by tazoc »

Q5sys wrote:I cant wait to test it out!

Are any of the SFS packages from 601 the same in the 602 directory? I dont want to eat your bandwidth downloading new SFS files if there has been no change.
The only sizable SFS that has not been updated is NLS_KDE-4.6.5.sfs (KDE localization for non-en_US locales.) You can sort the listing by date. Anything dated prior to Mar 30, 2013 is the same as LH64-601. 2 exceptions: Udisks2 and Xfce4 are the same, but I rebuilt them with higher compression (larger blksize) to keep the Mariner ISO under 700MiB.
Sylvander wrote:a. It seems it won't be possible to install applications that are important to me.
e.g. "SaveMyModem"=smm [or some alternative similar to Mailwasher], Xfe.
I looked in PPM and couldn't find either. For Xfe,
Fatdog64 has these, however I'm assuming that you've already tried SpaceFM in the Filesystem menu:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... 45-600.pet (dependency)
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... .5-600.pet

For SaveMyModem maybe you can compile it from source:
http://www.lhpup.org/help/faqs/pet-package.html
b. Would it be possible to edit the ISO to change to pmedia=ataflash, so that a pupsave on an internal HDD is treated as though on a Flash Drive?
I normally do this so as to be able to choose whether/when "to save or not to save" during the session and at shutdown/reboot.
I'd tr
Please try the Lighthouse 64 boot option
pfix=noautosave
Enter it on the kernel line. From the LiveCD boot menu, press <tab> (BIOS firmware) or 'e' (UEFI firmware) to edit the menu selection.
noautosave is designed to prevent any automatic save file updates; manual or shutdown (after prompting) only.
-TaZoC
[url=http://www.lhpup.org/][b][size=100]lhpup.org[/size][/b] [img]http://www.lhpup.org/gallery/images/favicon.png[/img][/url] [url=http://www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602]Lighthouse 64 6.02[/url]

zarg

#35 Post by zarg »

edoc wrote:
Grub4DosConfigConfig - Error

Boot flag not found on sda.
How should I proceed, please?
open gparted program and right click on the partition where you installed lighthouse; should be SDA1; this will open manage flags menu. select boot as the flag for that partition, run grubfordos again then reboot. should fix your issue.