Lighthouse 64 602 Beta2 with GIMP-2.8.4 (6-29-2013)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
edoc

#601 Post by edoc »

I'm trying to sort out why I can load LH64 on my Acer W500P Tablet if I interrupt the BIOS-boot process, Save & Boot, but not if I try to book via grub4dos.

So far I've received a couple of private messages with suggestions but no joy ... I continue to Search the Net and the associated file & folders ...

In /root/.startmount is a file called config but I don't know what the settings mean:
CHECK:0=false
CHECK:1=false
CHECK:2=false
CHECK:3=false
STATE=disabled
VIS=enabled
RADIO1=false
RADIO2=false
ALSO: Is there any reason why changing SATA Mode in BIOS FROM: AHCI Mode TO: IDE Mode may or may not help? Or might it create new problems?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

gcmartin

#602 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Edoc.

On Boot-Time passwords
A method which has been available for quite some time to stop unauthorized persons from booting a PC is to set the BIOS's password feature.

Placing a password on the BootManager is in addition to what can be done using BIOS setting. Both of these, redundant as they are, will defeat most unauthorized from booting a system.

But if you are trying to stop agents in case of seizure, you may need some other methods of boobie traps to do so....self destruct like a "please wait ..." during boot along with hiding sensitive data in the cloud so that it is not in the same premise as the machine. :lol:

gcmartin

#603 Post by gcmartin »

A Holiday Season Message to this thread's users

To Everyone who has participated in keeping this fabulous distro alive, I say "Thank You". I hope we can, also, pause for a moment to privately thank @TaZoC for what he did for us in this distro's presentation.

Thanks @TaZoC for what you done for us over the years with you ideas, your demonstrations, your assistance, and your understanding of useful functionality in a modern PUP distro with the ease of use you took great steps to provide us! Thanks :!:

Peace on Earth with Good Will to All.

slavvo67

#604 Post by slavvo67 »

Thank you Tazoc and thank you GC Martin!!!

All the best during this holiday season and always!

Slavvo67

edoc

#605 Post by edoc »

gcmartin wrote:A Holiday Season Message to this thread's users

To Everyone who has participated in keeping this fabulous distro alive, I say "Thank You". I hope we can, also, pause for a moment to privately thank @TaZoC for what he did for us in this distro's presentation.

Thanks @TaZoC for what you done for us over the years with you ideas, your demonstrations, your assistance, and your understanding of useful functionality in a modern PUP distro with the ease of use you took great steps to provide us! Thanks :!:

Peace on Earth with Good Will to All.
I have read elsewhere on the Murga-Linux Puppy Forum where users admire the methodology & quality embedded in the LH64 project.

I know I am appreciative of it for sure!

Praying for TaZoC's well-being and grateful for his shared-investment in this technology.

A blessed Christ-mas to all.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#606 Post by edoc »

Someone sent me an article about PCLinuxOS and UEFI systems:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/hands-on- ... c-release/

In the article he refers to "grub2-efi"

Is anyone familiar with that, please?

Might it simplify installing LH64 to MS/UEFI-crippled hardware?
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

uefi

#607 Post by Dry Falls »

Greetings. After a few months of frustration, I got this walmart pos machine taylor-made for win8.1 to accept the keys to boot fd64-631 off a cd (because it can save to a ntfs drive and will create a linux partition). The "isohybrid-usbflash/uefi-flashdrive.html" on the lighthouse iso and at the site was most helpful. Anyway, if you can get anything to boot off the cd, you can boot any system you download by copying the grub.cfg to a directory or partition. Grub2 finds it automatically. However, because Win8.1 'puters keep the battery to the memory going even if you shut down (It hybernates by default, so you get the illusion that it boots fast!), there is going to be a conflict with any other system and liable to ruin your work. My lesson was "never reboot". You have to tell the bios to "really" power down.

Well, this box can't read a multi-partition (efi-bootable) usb stick but a program like rufus under windows can. So I use the cd to boot and grub2 finds the cfg file (which you can always edit) on the stick, and there you go (google 'multi-pup'). I no longer need to install anything but the pup-save and frugal sym-links. Pupmode 14 in Lighthouse gives you the option to save or not save the session. Being a novice, I was getting pretty tired of autosave in every other distribution and making a complete mess of things.

Anyway, I've become addicted to LH64.

Probably old news to most, but it might help someone from overly frustrating on the [sarcasm]new-and-improved[/sarcasm] bottom of the line hardware.

Dry Falls

grub2

#608 Post by Dry Falls »

ps, For example, here is a copy of my grub.cfg file (I've been experimenting with different kernels and modules in the initrd):
insmod png
background_image /menu.png
set timeout=10

menuentry "Default Mariner64-602c 3.17.4,pupsave" {
linux /Mariner/vmlinuz psubdir=Mariner pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
initrd /Mariner/initrd.xz
}
menuentry "Default Mariner64-602c 3.16.2,pupsave" {
linux /Lighthouse64-602c/vmlinuz-fat psubdir=Lighthouse64-602c pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
initrd /Lighthouse64-602c/initrd-fd.xz
}
menuentry "Default Mariner64-602c 3.17.4,RAM" {
linux /vmlinuz pmedia=usb pfix=ram
initrd /initrd.xz
}
menuentry "---" { true; }

menuentry "Lighthouse64-602c -3.17.4,pupsave" {
linux /Lighthouse64-602c/vmlinuz psubdir=Lighthouse64-602c pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
initrd /Lighthouse64-602c/initrd.xz
}
menuentry "Lighthouse64-602c -3.16.2,pupsave" {
linux /Lighthouse64-602c/vmlinuz-fat psubdir=Lighthouse64-602c pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
initrd /Lighthouse64-602c/initrd-lfs.xz
}
menuentry "Lighthouse64-602c -3.12.2,pupsave" {
linux /Lighthouse64-602c/vmlinuz psubdir=Lighthouse64-602c pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
initrd /Lighthouse64-602c/initrd-ls.xz
}
menuentry "Lighthouse64-602b -3.87,pupsave" {
linux /Mariner/vmlinuz-lh psubdir=Mariner pfix=noautosave,copy,fsck
initrd /Mariner/initrd-lh.xz
}

menuentry "Start Slacko64 5.91/ramdisk" {
linux /Slacko64/vmlinuz psubdir=Slacko64 pfix=copy,fsck
initrd /Slacko64/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Slacko64 5.91 without savefile" {
linux /Slacko64/vmlinuz psubdir=Slacko64 pfix=ram
}
menuentry "Slacko64 5.91 without graphical desktop" {
linux /Slacko64/vmlinuz psubdir=Slacko64 pfix=nox
}

menuentry "1 Lighthouse64" {
linux /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.xz
}
menuentry "2 Lighthouse64 without savefile" {
linux /vmlinuz pfix=ram,copy
initrd /initrd.xz
}
menuentry "3 Clean boot Lighthouse64 from CD/DVD / first multisession" {
linux /vmlinuz pmedia=cd pfix=ram,copy
initrd /initrd.xz
}
menuentry "4 Lighthouse64 without graphical desktop" {
linux /vmlinuz pfix=nox
initrd /initrd.xz
}
menuentry "5 Lighthouse64 with file system check" {
linux /vmlinuz pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.xz
}

menuentry "LxPup64" {
linux /LxPup64/vmlinuz psubdir=LxPup64 pfix=fsck
initrd /LxPup64/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "Start fd64-700/ramdisk" {
linux /fd64-700/vmlinuz dofsck psubdir=fd64-700 pfix=copy
initrd /fd64-700/initrd
}
menuentry "Fatdog64-631/ramdisk" {
linux /fatdog64/vmlinuz psubdir=fatdog64 pfix=copy,fsck
initrd /fatdog64/initrd
}

menuentry "ArchPup_alphaos" {
linux /alphaos/boot/vmlinuz toram usbmode,fsck
initrd /alphaos/boot/initrfs.img
}
menuentry "ArchPup_alphaos - fresh" {
linux /alphaos/boot/vmlinuz fresh
}
menuentry "ArchPup_alphaos - resize" {
linux /alphaos/boot/vmlinuz resize=200
}

menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
reboot
}

edoc

#609 Post by edoc »

Cool!

So, when do you add the MS version of windows and Android (and/or Cyanogenmod) entries?

;-)
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

Dry Falls

grub2

#610 Post by Dry Falls »

I'm not sure what you mean. Cyanogenmod? My newest machine was a 2005 XP laptop which died in a flood. Other than that I still have my trusty old win98 tower and a mac from the late eighties/early nineties with a whopping 250 meg hard-drive. They're still working. This new box came out of the factory in January and already the hardware clock is going and it makes clicking noises if I run Slacko (problems with the built-in intel drivers.

Anyway, the above code is grub2 all the way. Grub is a bit of an operating system itself and speaks a language foreign to me. All I did to the code was change the names, places and boot options, according to the great help files.

Outside of old fashion html-2, I don't know squat about scripting and programing. After twenty years, I was just starting to get comfortable with dos. It's beginning to get fun though. Lighthouse is full of cool little toys.

Later,
df

Dry Falls

grub2

#611 Post by Dry Falls »

Oh, now I see what you're getting at (I'm a bit slow). The first screen that pops up (for about three seconds) asks if you want to find a different grub.cfg. Push the Enter key and it gives you an option as to where to look. Grub documentation will tell you the correct code to put in your file, but it's not easy like in syslinux or grub4dos. I just remove the cd (or usb stick, if you can boot from that) and restart the box. It goes right into windows (after complaining that you've missed out on about two gigs worth of "important" security updates. The last time I took that seriously, it destroyed the boot sector stuff to get back into linux. I had to start over from scratch. My goal is to get Mr gates out of the box entirely, but that's a long way off. I can boot into as many other distros as I want from one usb stick. I'm through with trying to dual boot this p.o.s. the "right" way.

By the way, there's thirty two pages of code to learn just to get Win8.1 to give you boot options (like the old 'safe-mode') on start up.

gcmartin

#612 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Dry Falls and welcome to this thread's "Seaside Resort and Kennel" that I will call "the Shores of the LightHouse" in this post.

On the shores of the LightHouse (LH64), was created by a developer whose illness has taken it toll. While he was active, LH64, he is one of the PUP developers who focused much of his attention on providing clear understanding of this contribution (see its enormous composite on information and detail on its site ===> http://LHpup.org). And, too, an operational distro, which focuses on "Ease of Use" in just about everything you'll see. There is so much subtle intelligence in this work at almost every turn. :idea:

This is one of the very few distros which is just as useful to those new to Linux or to those who have great experience in Linux's internals.

I MUST WARN YOU
This distro has been known to be addictive. You are being warned because this addiction does not have a 12 step program to recovery thus you will be "stuck" with this addiction with no path out of it. Even cold turkey doesn't work because you find yourself reaching for it unconsciously whenever you want to do something useful. It too easy, I mean TOO easy for anyone while having stable operations on good performance. Beware.

And, ENJOY!
P.S. Oh, don't miss the fact that there is documentation to run KVM where any guest VM you boot, will have practically "native" performance simultaneously while your LH64 is running.

Dry Falls

VM

#613 Post by Dry Falls »

Hey, thanks. On the topic of vm, virtual box takes up quite alot of space (even after symlinking vm's) but runs good with any kernel I can run mariner on. What is this I hear about sandbox? Where can I find out more? Is it a lighter package? Meanwhile I'm trying to recompile an sfs for virtual box (I like a small save file because I'd eventually like to remaster this thing).

Speaking of kernels, and thanks to 666philb and peebee, their kernel seems to work best on my machine (3.17.4) after putting it's kernel modules in the lighthouse initrd. 3.87 just doesn't do it for me.

But if I want to run wine, I have to use the kernel (3.16.2) from fatdog 700b1. There's no way around it, no matter how many 32 bit libs I install. Problem is, the fatdog kernel doesn't respect the autofstab in lighthouse. Strange. It almost seems like 3.17.4 is cow-towing to microsoft. I haven't tried skype (now part of the ms franchise) in any distro, but it would be interesting if that follows suit. Is this just my paranoia or is there something I've missed?

df

Dry Falls

Lighthouse for All-Intel low-end machines

#614 Post by Dry Falls »

Progress so far:
README
subtitle: Lighthouse for All-Intel low-end machines
App: Multiple apps & scrty updates
Version: L64-602b3.1
Homepage: www.puppylinux.org
www.lhpup.org/release-lhp.htm#602

Changes from L64-602b2:

k3.17.4 (from BK's QuirkyTahr - Tahrpup64 - LxPup64)
replaced kernel modules.sfs in initrd.xz
fall-back to devx and kernel sources as seperate files

New Built-in Packages:
cursor_themes-1-1
dictd-1.10.10-x86_64 (aka Pdict)
wbar-2.3.4-2pclos2012.x86_64
firewallstate_5.9.1 (from slacko64)
PupMenu-3.1
xpad-4.1-x86_fd64
xvidcap-1.1.7-x86_64-1
pwidgets_amd64-2.3.3
lhp_GNewPet-6.5 (from LazyPuppy)
libacpi-0.2-x86_64-1
bash-4.2.050-x86_64-1_slack14.0
wget-1.14-x86_64-2_slack14.0
SFS:
hal-0.5.14-x86_64-3 (hald addon)
manpages (from fatdog64)
flash-plugin-11.2.202.411-release.x86_64 (the last built for linux systems)
seamonkey-2.31-x86_64-1_slack14.0 (runs as root)
firefox34.05_602c (runs as spot)
savefile2dir-1.3 (Needs work to install as pet)

Very little is actually changed:
Added custom icon theme (nu-bloom)
removed firefox (runs as sfs) -- base file is now 199, down from 208mb
changed four default icons (Console-LHP, pfind, Pup-SysInfo and PupControl) - it's a personal aesthetics thing.
Lx pannel menu-start button from lupu-5.28 fb-pannel.
Tazoc's pupmode=14 is default in my grub/syslinux menu. First boot after initial pupsave, frugal symlink (menu/setup/set up lighthouse/move and link programs) works exceptionally for all future package installs (unnecessary for sfs addons) to keep your pupsave slim. (see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=62110)

gave up on vbox sfs. Tazoc's virtual box installer still works great. Most of the program will automatically frugal symlink (see above). Upgrades to other installations are already simplified with LH64 'sfs-edit'. It's an amazing tool.

wine still won't load the gecko-installer. It may be that this kernel reads "pure64" in the initrd. I haven't tested that yet, and I'm absolutely not going to screw with Tazoc's init script there.

As to why savefile2dir-1.3, it's handy for extracting pupsaves or working on other distros but until there is a script to recompile the folder back into a pupsave file (mksquashfs doesn't work for this - results in kernel panic loading the new file), i don't see its practicality for lighthouse, which isn't save-folder friendly. Lighthouse already has two virtual disks on which you can mount, edit and unload any rw data.

My pupsave file (actually, pup_ro1) is only 9 mb of a 512m 2fs file. With frugal symlinks, that means it's already as close to a full install as I need to get. Bear in mind that this is just my preference -- none of the other boot-options have been tampered with, just the order on the grub/syslinux cfg.

gcmartin

#615 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Dry Falls. To, virtually, test/evaluate/run other PUP distros on Lighthouse at the system's rated speed use the KVM feature that is built into the system's kernel, described here.

Here to help

edoc

#616 Post by edoc »

KVM is pretty amazing!

I need to backup & purge this HP Pavilion g7 - clean reload - then set up KVM ... really handy for the multiple purposes I'd like to serve with this laptop!

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

LazY Puppy

#617 Post by LazY Puppy »

Hi.

What kind of format is the file: initrd.xz?

How do I open this to edit its content?

Thanks

Edit:

Sorry, found the init-editor script right now.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

LazY Puppy

#618 Post by LazY Puppy »

I have now updated my Edit-Initrdgz package from 1.4 to 1.5. It is now able to unpack and repack initrd.gz (like in default Puppies), initrd.xz (like in Lighthouse64) and initrd (like in FatDog64). Both, GUI and right-click Action, are now able to unpack and repack the files initrd, initrd.gz and initrd.xz.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

chillinfart

#619 Post by chillinfart »

I replaced Slacko 5.7 to Lighthouse 64 few days ago, after a disaster with CUDA Toolkit that nuked Slacko (f*** you Nvidia). Well, i have four questions:

- I tried to activate Uxa acceleration for my netbook (that has an Intel Atom N450), but system resets card options at restart (even modifying xorg.conf manually). Which script handles xorg.conf behavior?
- How i remove spot references on Firefox? I changed builtin FF 22 to FF 34 but i got permission errors on downloads when are redirected to other directory than /root/spot/downloads. I changed a reference on defaultbrowser, but isn't enough.
- How i can add x86 app compatibility (i.e. i used jnettop for networking audit and has no x64 version)?
- And i'm not sure about LH nature. Is more Slackware than Fatdog or is more Fatdog than Slackware (to find packages)?

In the other hand, nouveau driver runs nice in my Nvidia Geforce 210 (on desktop system), a big difference with Slacko.

Dry Falls

#620 Post by Dry Falls »

chillinfart wrote:I replaced Slacko 5.7 to Lighthouse 64 few days ago, after a disaster with CUDA Toolkit that nuked Slacko (f*** you Nvidia). Well, i have four questions:

- I tried to activate Uxa acceleration for my netbook (that has an Intel Atom N450), but system resets card options at restart (even modifying xorg.conf manually). Which script handles xorg.conf behavior?
- How i remove spot references on Firefox? I changed builtin FF 22 to FF 34 but i got permission errors on downloads when are redirected to other directory than /root/spot/downloads. I changed a reference on defaultbrowser, but isn't enough.
- How i can add x86 app compatibility (i.e. i used jnettop for networking audit and has no x64 version)?
- And i'm not sure about LH nature. Is more Slackware than Fatdog or is more Fatdog than Slackware (to find packages)?

In the other hand, nouveau driver runs nice in my Nvidia Geforce 210 (on desktop system), a big difference with Slacko.
1. The kernel modules in LH are not up to date. As far as Xorg.conf, you can edit it manually or create new rules in usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d. For example, I added a new file "20-fbdev.conf' there:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "fbdev"
Option "ShadowFB" "false"
Option "Backingstore" "true"
Endsection
Just adding the option to Xorg.conf was completely ignored by the server.

2. On firefox, I removed the entire usr/lib64/firefox directory and loaded firefox34 as an sfs (Don't delete, trashbin it and then empty trash. Better yet, remove it in initrd/pup_rw and pup_ro1). If you want, you can just replace it with the new (adds about 85m to your savefile). It will run as spot or root with no other changes. For permissions outside of spot's folder, you have to erase the "-spot" from "firefox-spot" in the default programs gui in setup/setup lighthouse/ in the menu.
3. not too up to speed with networking, especially under technology much past 2005 ( and yes, that's ad and not bc!)
4. The build is slackware 14.0. It can be upgraded in whole or part with slap-get and g-slapt. Other than some applications and the kernel, what is most from fatdog was the 64 bit capability. There was a 32 bit Lighthouse back in the day very much resembling LazyPuppy, which is a pretty amazing distro itself.

df