Multi-booting with Legacy OS

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
old-gold

Multi-booting with Legacy OS

#1 Post by old-gold »

I have just installed Legacy OS(hda2) and Galpon MiniNO(hda3) on an E-Tower500is . However I can only boot to MiniNo. Legacy OS is only identified as "unknown Linux distro" by OS-Prober from MiniNO

I would like to edit the boot-loader Menu so that I can choose which OS to boot. But I cannot locate the Grub files in Legacy OS (hda2).

I would appreciate help in locating & editing those files so that I can multi-boot that system.

Thanks for your help

Colonel Panic

Re: Multi-booting with Legacy OS

#2 Post by Colonel Panic »

old-gold wrote:I have just installed Legacy OS(hda2) and Galpon MiniNO(hda3) on an E-Tower500is . However I can only boot to MiniNo. Legacy OS is only identified as "unknown Linux distro" by OS-Prober from MiniNO

I would like to edit the boot-loader Menu so that I can choose which OS to boot. But I cannot locate the Grub files in Legacy OS (hda2).

I would appreciate help in locating & editing those files so that I can multi-boot that system.

Thanks for your help
Hi old gold,

I've had this problem with Legacy too, where other distros don't pick it up properly (which is what seems to be happening here). Try clicking on "Unknown Linux distro" anyway and see if that loads Legacy, but if it doesn't I'm afraid you might need to reinstall Legacy.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

old-gold

#3 Post by old-gold »

[quote][/quote]

I can see the "unknown linux" only as the OS_prober runs. But when I reboot the system (after"Update-grub") nothing shows up . That item is not entered into the Grub Menu.

I suspect that Legacy & MiniNo might be running different versions of Grub and they are not playing nice.

Where are Grub files located in Legacy?

Thanks for your help I will try that again.

Colonel Panic

#4 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi again old gold,

I think you're right about the reason it isn't working (different versions of grub, with Legacy running an earlier one).

I can't load Legacy on this machine so I have to go from memory. As I recall, the grub files are in the /boot directory, and the one you want is called menu.lst, which is in the boot directory not the grub directory.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

old-gold

#5 Post by old-gold »

Hi:
I am afraid I could not find either BOOT or GRUB directories. I used Dolphin (?) file manager to look into both ROOT & HOME directories and atleast one level of sub-directories. I had the feeling that both of them were renamed something else.

A couple of days ago I went looking for Menu.lst and could not find that either. That's when I joined this forum.

I really like the program and all the modules that are included and the way the menus are written...so clear and neat.

Thanks for your help

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Try this:

Us Grub4dos as the boot loader.

Boot with a live CD or USB of some version of Puppy.

You can get the latest version of Grub4dos here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

Run Grub4dos Bootloader config
The default settings will work OK.

It should be able to make a good boot menu for everything on the computer.

The only operating system I had problems with was Mint, because it basically has its own version of a boot loader in a strange directory location.
The fix was to move the Mint boot files to the top layer of the partition it was on.
Grub4dos could now see them.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Colonel Panic

#7 Post by Colonel Panic »

Old Gold,

bigpup's advice looks good to me, but failing that the /boot directory (and hence the grub subdirectory) won't be in either the /home or the /root directories in the file system. It's a directory on its own.

john biles

#8 Post by john biles »

Hello old-gold,
In Legacy OS 2.1 you'll find the grub directory in /boot
I'm assuming you have installed Galpon MiniNO after you've installed Legacy OS. If this is the case then modifying Legacy OS's grub won't help you. You need to modify the grub used by Galpon MiniNO. Try changing the grub file in Galpon MiniNO for Legacy OS from hda2 to sda2 and see if this allows Legacy OS to boot.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.