Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 20:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Linphone 3.6.1 - Phone with Video and Instant Messaging
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
gcmartin

PostPosted: Tue 08 Apr 2014, 04:27    Post_subject: LinPhone Video call with Android/iPhone available?  

I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android and iPhone app(s) that can do video calling with LInphone user?

Looking for this capability. Thanks anyone.
Edit: corrected wording from,client to app..

Edited_time_total
Smithy

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 11:38    Post_subject:  

Have you got one or two for Puppy 528, 529 Oscar? The old versions.
None of those worked.

But I did get some successful rumblings from the echo server in Wheezy over usb.
That's a first, had to select oss/dev/dsp in the multimedia section.

Thanks for putting these together tho'.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 18:50    Post_subject:  

Hello Smithy,

I had to think about this for a while, but then I remembered.
These recent Linphones won't work in Lucid or Exprimo because the GTK+ version is slightly too old.

Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr 2014, 06:49    Post_subject:  

Ah, OK thanks.
stray_dog

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 13:42    Post_subject:  

Running Slacko 5.6 & 5.7, the xv .pet worked really well for me on an HP Elitebook. Thank you! When I tried to login / register an sip address using public university wifi with a dynamic ip address, I would get an error that said "registration on <sip:blahblah.net> failed: no response timeout". Using a stunserver made registration immediate & steady. Looks like they've released version 3.7 - one nice thing they mention is that on Linux, you're supposed to be able to choose between OpenGL and Xv.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2014, 11:05    Post_subject:  

Hello stray_dog,

Glad Linphone is working for you. As you have found out, using a stun server is often helpful. Easy just to switch it in our out as well once you have set it in the preferences.

The version 3.7 is a different beast now and to be honest I haven't got my head around it yet. They have replaced osip and eXosip with their own bellesip sip stack and it involves other libraries. I believe it needs Java as well but I could have got that wrong. If so it makes it less appealing as a Puppy app. This 3.6.1 works quite well and is lovely and small, but if I come across something better that I can build I will do so.

stray_dog

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jun 2014, 19:23    Post_subject:  

Hello, OscarTalks!

Yes I must say, it works *wonderfully*! Thank you so much for your .pets! I really must recommend trying the stun server option for anyone encountering registration errors. I agree with you 100% - it's so easy! Your .pets are very nice too because they already give us the choice between gl and xv.

When calling the 301 linphone echo call line, I found it worked smoothly with either no encryption or with ZRTP encryption. The SRTP failed with the echo call for me the time I tried it. But I haven't had a chance to test which of those work when I'm calling someone with the same version of Puppy I'm using & when we choose the same option. I hope to do that this weekend with my girl. Although I have no idea at all how to tell if the encryption is actually working. That'll take some extra work on my part.

Yes this new 3.7 version confused the hell out of me! Thank you. I like this 3.6.1. I like the lovely & small. My woman is running on a single 1.6 ghz processor like I used to, and we found in our windows days that it was too much of a strain. Skype & google video chat took up too much of our processor resources, and even oovoo and vsee were strained. Puppy with this version of linphone seems to work much, much better. Lately we've liked using luvcview to choose the visual preferences of contrast, light & dark & color, & then starting this version of linphone. The choices we make seem to stick and we can have a chat in soft grays & black & white if we like. Very nice.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 20 Jun 2014, 00:52    Post_subject:  

Is there "any" possibility that 3.7 intends to be cross-platform? (cross-platform in today's world means smartPhones/smartTablets/smartTVs as well as traditional PCs).

If so, and its fast, functional, and stable would provide a good future path for them.

stray_dog

PostPosted: Sat 21 Jun 2014, 12:50    Post_subject:  

Hello gcmartin!

At a glance, it looks like 3.7 doesn't intend to be cross-platform but just for desktop. But they have released versions 2.1.1 for Android, 2.1.2 for iOS phones, and 1.0.2 for Windows Phone 8, I'm not sure what those versions are built like though.
Smithy

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug 2014, 08:48    Post_subject:  

3.6.1 is the dogs nutz, so flexible, nat, stun, sip etc, just needs a skype plugin for those people welded to that platform Wink I know that 'aint gonna happen.

As regards cross platform, Linn on Windows is very crashy, but I found one that has been succesful with just one runtime error (still continues to function but don't hit the close button) and only SRTP available.

http://portableapps.com/node/36863
It is an alpha or beta test though.
Not sure about tablety things and Android.

Puppy to Puppy is better sound quality and stable as heck!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum