Simplicity Linux - something fishy

For discussions about security.
bark_bark_bark

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

simargl wrote:http://simplicitylinux.org
We have also put more focus on Gslapt as the package manager rather than Puppy Package Manager because we feel Apt based package managers are far better when it comes to dependencies.
Strange that they describe gslapt from slackware as apt based package manager, I thought apt is package manager from Debian and Ubuntu.
Officially Slackware uses slackpkg. Salix OS uses slapt-get/GSlapt though.
(Glapt is onky a gtk frontend to slapt-get.)

slapt-get is apt-get like package manager (I am not sure if it shares code with apt-get).

runtt21

#17 Post by runtt21 »

That guy has been around for a while. He is not sneekylinux but sneeky does know him as well as he knows me. I dont remember the dudes name but he has been releasing his distro based on puppy for a few years. He did have a forum at one time. I remember him cause most of his early releases where all based on macpup.

James C

#18 Post by James C »

David Purse is the lead dev I believe.

peebee

#19 Post by peebee »

They seem to be somewhat opportunistic and not very well informed people - probably because they don't seem to get involved in or contribute to this forum that they exploit - if they proceed to their next version as they describe:

work on Simplicity 13.10 starts in earnest. We’ve made rough base image using Slacko 5.5.71 and LXPup by SFS

then they will be going back to ppm and ditching Gslapt.....unless they are relying on Jejy69 (does he know?) bringing out LxPup15....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

bignono1

#20 Post by bignono1 »

vicmz

#21 Post by vicmz »

peebee wrote:They seem to be somewhat opportunistic and not very well informed people - probably because they don't seem to get involved in or contribute to this forum that they exploit - if they proceed to their next version as they describe:

work on Simplicity 13.10 starts in earnest. We’ve made rough base image using Slacko 5.5.71 and LXPup by SFS

then they will be going back to ppm and ditching Gslapt.....unless they are relying on Jejy69 (does he know?) bringing out LxPup15....
Jejy is sad and says he no longer wants to develop Lxpup.

It seems the developers of Simplicity Linux take the name of their distro too seriously. :shock:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

sneekylinux

#22 Post by sneekylinux »

Adagio wrote:The developer is sneekylinux (forum member).

I have used Simplicity and it's fine.
Quite OK.
just to say that i am not the developer of this distro although i have covered it quite a bit in my videos on you tube.
i am not sure of the developers forum name.

vicmz

#23 Post by vicmz »

http://simplicitylinux.org/2013/07/repl ... e-critics/
Simplicity Linux Blog wrote:So, I stumbled upon this on the Puppy Linux forums: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87159. [the thread you are reading now]

Let me set a few things straight. I did not pay to be on Distrowatch. I waited 4 years to get onto Distrowatch. I am not a member of the Puppy Linux forums, active or otherwise. I am not affiliated with the LXPup project – I mention them heavily on this site because I was using LXPup as a base for Simplicity Linux because they had a very good implementation of LXDE and I felt that crediting them for the awesome work they did was the right thing to do.

I also want to point out that Sneekylinux plays no part in Simplicity Linux’s development. We are friends. He reviews us, that’s it.

The reason I am not part of the Puppy Linux Forums is because when I started, I saw a lot of fighting amongst developers. I see little has changed.

And to those who are upset that I used their distro as a basis for Simplicity, yes I take other distros and do things with them. It’s what happens. Mint is based on Ubuntu. Ubuntu is/was based on Debian. Right now, Simplicity 13.10 will be based on Raring Puppy. Simplicity 13.7 was based on LXPup, and before that we used Carolina and Saluki for a long time. And if I was making revenue, I would share it with the original distro developers. But since I don’t, I can’t.

p310don

#24 Post by p310don »

I have used Simplicity for a few minutes. That was enough for me to figure out it wasn't my cup of tea. There wasn't anything wrong with it, it just didn't offer any big deal over the Puppy I was already using.

Reading through their site, I get the impression that the developer(s) kind of see themselves as Steve Jobs esque.

They like to think they're very good at creating nice looking stuff. They appear a bit arrogant. They seem to be looking for that perfect idea to make them rich.

That's my opinion, or feeling.

At the end of the day, good luck to them. As part of the whole Linux ecosystem and the GPL, they can take and re-use anything. I can't see them getting loads of traction to be honest. It just seems like another distro in the big ocean of distros. If it isn't terribly original or have some uber standout feature, it will just get lost in the mire of distro soup. If they develop one of those standout features, and it can be put back into the ecosystem, that'd be great, but I can't see that happening.

Colonel Panic

#25 Post by Colonel Panic »

Out of interest I downloaded it and am using it now, and I agree. It's not bad but no better IMO than the average Pup; it doesn't even have osmo by default, which almost all recent Pups have and I use a lot.

One thing it does have though is LibreOffice 4.0, so it's a good choice for those who want that.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Dean

#26 Post by Dean »

13.10 should be good with apt-get.
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

oui

#27 Post by oui »

simplicity has the old virus of the most Puppy derivatives :roll: : it will force user to adopt app's not being the best ones or the most actual of their category.

very positive is Libre Office but I am not certain it is a good idea to include it in the main dotsfs because it is already old and it is important for people forced to communicate with users of M$-Office (diverse authorities use it! and you are a poor man if you can't communicate with them :oops: !). I am using an official document now and the LO version in Simplicity seems don't to accede to all the functions that I can reach with the LibreOffice-4.0.4.2.sfs I am using in Mousecam pup... LO is a work in constant progress like Calligra and it is nonsens to build it in (it is the same nonsens to built in Abi + Gnumeric not able at all to accede to diverse documents! they not old but only kribble versions of text processors...)

very positive is the rich choice of included fonts

positive would be galculator + skype but same thing they are old or small versions. asri has in "asri profs puppy" a calculator with financial functions in his pup for kindergarten children :lol: and pup's for adults can't give access to that :x ...

skype doesn't work with my web cam (sale by Skype trad., the cam works perfectly in Mousecam pup with skype-4_sfs4.sfs, I am sorry...)

no adult HTML editor

no xsane (but 3 drawing app's LO draw, mTpaint + gimp, hm...)

divers interesting utilities.

simargl

#28 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

p310don

#29 Post by p310don »

Good to see they're openly crediting the original creators of their base now. I'd like to see something really good and new come from them

pemasu

#30 Post by pemasu »

The kernel is 3.9.9 and the buillt version they use as base is 3.9.9.1. And I hope they have noticed that non-US keyboard layout bug, and the solution...which is not in 3.9.9.1 version. Just for the sake of the non-US keyboard users whom might download that latest product.

Otherwise...LXDE as WM is ok. It has left click menu. And that is important. Good luck for them.

And I agree....changing the base distro all the time is confusing. They just announced the gslapt support and now they hop to the ubuntu raring with Puppy Package Manager back. But...every linux distro is one more which someone might try. There is no such thing as too many linux distros.. Since they are free to use and test.

If nothing else...it is good hobby to create distro....I know....

Dean

#31 Post by Dean »

p310don wrote:Good to see they're openly crediting the original creators of their base now.
This.
pemasu wrote:They just announced the gslapt support and now they hop to the ubuntu raring with Puppy Package Manager back.
Simplicity wrote:Yes, we have gslapt working. So 13.10 will have apt-get capabilities.
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

gcmartin

Version 14.1 announced on Distrowatch yesterday

#32 Post by gcmartin »

Anyone notice that this is a "regressed" version of Puppy Linux? And that it also addresses an options to use their proxy for safe passage and internet "touch"?

Even though its regress from their earlier version, its a PUP.

RJARRRPCGP

Re: Version 14.1 announced on Distrowatch yesterday

#33 Post by RJARRRPCGP »

gcmartin wrote:Anyone notice that this is a "regressed" version of Puppy Linux? And that it also addresses an options to use their proxy for safe passage and internet "touch"?

Even though its regress from their earlier version, its a PUP.
No pun intended! :wink: