SlocateGUI with apptree

Miscellaneous tools
stemsee

SlocateGUI with apptree

#1 Post by stemsee »

This is my update to slocategui, which depends on yad and slocate. Find files dirs easily. Per partition/drive functionality. Use slocate to read .packages/app.files list to feed into apptree to rebuild app in dir tree. Also combine several related installs together. Then create pet or sfs. Select multiple media files and send to player as playlist. Use slocate to remove/copy/move files and/or dirs recursively no prompt.

https://mega.co.nz/#!dcZmEZqB!8vyWC9kGi ... ZDBRqt31yU
Last edited by stemsee on Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.

stemsee

#2 Post by stemsee »

So here is an update. Slocate-GUI-3.2-apptree

Added the ability to link -s file
Rename file.
Replace e.g. replace space in file name with something else: syntax is 'thing-to replace'replace-with-this' only three apostrophees:replace space ' '_' with underscore.
for files from windows machines. Replace any string/symbol except apostrophe and backslash.

With apptree, which lets you rebuild a pet from install file list ~/.packages/*.files or from multiple individually selected files fed to apptree as a playlist. Gives choice to build sfs or pet or 'both'. And rename folder before building package so that search term need not be the package name term.
Attachments
SlocateGUI-AppTree-3.2.pet
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 29 May 2015, 21:39, edited 2 times in total.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

Does this replace the slocateGUI-x86_64.pet? Should I uninstall if on any distro?

Thanks in advance

stemsee

#4 Post by stemsee »

no this i 32bit only, you should be able to unpack it and install only the scripts slocategui and apptree and /etc/updatedb.conf

stemsee

#5 Post by stemsee »

There are some problems I a experiencing. To have all partitions indexed in main db i do this inn term

Code: Select all

slocate -u -e /initrd
/etc/updatedb.conf must be edited to remove /mnt from exluded dirs. Then all conneted partitions will be mounted and indexed. If you wish to idex only system then the command is

slocate -u -e /initrd,/mnt,
In fact if /initrd is in the updatedb.conf ten no need to specify initrd. But for devs sseeing initrd files might be useful.
I was really trying to get it to build a databse per partition and choose to search only that db for that partition, but I am not making much headway.

I want to acheive all of this with one single script and binary and configfile.

stemsee

#6 Post by stemsee »

Okay ... I have cracked it! Symlinks and grep have combined to do exactly what I intended! ;-)

stemsee

#7 Post by stemsee »

This is my most used program ever. It is absolutely the most useful utility ever.

Now it works per partition. It checks if the db exists first. it makes sure correct permissions for reading the db are set. it updates each db that had files altered with the script.
Attachments
slocateGUI-x86_64.pet
64bit
(28.59 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
SlocateGUI-AppTree-3.2.pet
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

stemsee

#8 Post by stemsee »

So I ran into this problem. After plugging in a 500gb usb hdd with media files on it, slocate did its thing and built a db for that drive only. However on removing the drive and later plugging it back in it ws assigned a different tag: sdc instead of sdb ... so now the db is incorrect because it still thinks the files are stored on sdb*. To deal with this I added code to automatically add all partitions to fstab by UUID if they are not already added. Working fine so far. Also added reset function for deleting all slocate.db files on a ll attached partitions.

stemsee

#9 Post by stemsee »

It is surprising how difficult it is to find definitive fstab entries for various filesystems. However all is well enough. Original fstab gets backed-up first before entries are made. Just plug in all the drives you want indexed and added to fstab.

I have made some features into functions, to improve the flow of the progrm for enhanced user experience. One script does everything. ' slocategui reset' in term deletes all slocate.db files and restores fstab.

If anyone wants this and is able to provide useful feedback please pm me.

stemsee

#10 Post by stemsee »

gui
Attachments
capture10327.jpg
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
capture10923.jpg
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 532 times
capture11743.jpg
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
capture14850.jpg
(31.37 KiB) Downloaded 522 times
capture15348.jpg
(32.22 KiB) Downloaded 529 times

stemsee

#11 Post by stemsee »

gui
Attachments
capture4628.jpg
(11.64 KiB) Downloaded 521 times
capture26135.jpg
(21.67 KiB) Downloaded 529 times
capture26965.jpg
(33.96 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
capture27919.jpg
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
capture28898.jpg
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
capture30010.jpg
(53.12 KiB) Downloaded 536 times

stemsee

#12 Post by stemsee »

And finally I went through the code and optimized. Now it is fast as well as comprehensive. The only glitch I have found is that sometimes results are shown for the partition db and some results for the system db ... bleed over or crosstalk so to speak. Either both DBs are being searched or the items are logged in both DBs. Not a deal breaker by any means! And I am very happy to have successfully coded the script to auto add all partitions to fstab correctly, only once. Not all filesystem types are catered for though; only ext[2-4], ntfs, vfat, and hfsplus. But I will continue to add others. Aslo I will continue to add preset commands handling, in addition to ; replace, cp, mv, rm, ln, rename. I have just realised that the rm section could be used for all multiple execs, such as petget (install many pets), or dpkg -i, rpm, or anything requiring a simple loop. I would only need to add M after the command with options e.g. rm -rf M ... as long as the M came at the end the command would send it to the loop section and loop through the results list.

stemsee

#13 Post by stemsee »

This is my most used and favourite app...it's just so useful once you get familiar with its use. Slocate-GUI-4.pet made by itself! When input box for app/command to use enter apptree for building pet or sfs or both from .packages/file list. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Attachments
capture12488.jpg
(64.61 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
capture12975.jpg
(9.96 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
capture14399.jpg
(13.12 KiB) Downloaded 414 times
capture14946.jpg
(9.87 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
capture15790.jpg
(8.82 KiB) Downloaded 413 times
capture16230.jpg
(8.83 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
capture16887.jpg
(54.69 KiB) Downloaded 430 times
Slocate-GUI-4-x64.pet
64bit
(30.2 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
Slocate-GUI-4.pet
32bit
(36.97 KiB) Downloaded 295 times

stemsee

#14 Post by stemsee »

You can restore your fstab and delete all created database files with

slocategui reset
or manually restore or edit the /etc/fstab-backup.

stemsee

#15 Post by stemsee »

Found a bug which prevented system db from being searched under circumstances most first time users will have. Download these or run in term

ln -fs /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db /var/lib/slocate/sys
Attachments
SlocateGUI-i386.pet
(36.59 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
slocateGUI-x86_64.pet
(30.09 KiB) Downloaded 272 times

smokey01

#16 Post by smokey01 »

stemsee, you also need to add slocate to the group file for first time users.

stemsee

#17 Post by stemsee »

@01smokey

Thanks! I will write a suitable pinstall for the next issue.

stemsee

#18 Post by stemsee »

Unbelievable ... I found another bug error in a link command which meant that only sys db was available for searches. How does this happen? I cannot believe I am really so clumsy!! With add to group pinstall.
Attachments
SlocateGUI-i386.pet
(35.76 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
slocateGUI-x86_64.pet
(28.92 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

stemsee

#19 Post by stemsee »

Finally I spent some time considering how to overcome the problem of duplicates turning up in search results. This error was caused by the fact that i linked default slocate.db to sys and both got searched. Solved by grep --invert-match filtering out sys just before search.

Second problem was that default slocate.db must be searched or fatal error occurred. This meant that you could not search sda5 only, without also searching default db. Solved by renaming default db and touching slocate.db (empty file). Then restoring default db after search. This only occurs when sys is not selected as search db.

Also found missing $ symbol in link command section.
Attachments
SlocteGUI-100915.pet
(35.35 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Pelo

making a full pet easily : won'it ?

#20 Post by Pelo »

slocateGui works. please try to explain what mean codes that you type in terminal. English for us is difficult enough, but understand your linuxian language is awfull. try to make the jargon understood.
I know gnewpet, i know pfind.
Does SlocatGui will give me better résults.
My problem with gnewpet are dependancies, apptree will list them and allow me making a full pet easily : won'it ?
What is db ; database ?
Added the ability to link -s file : what is a s file ?
"/etc/updatedb.conf must be edited to remove /mnt from exluded dirs. Then all conneted partitions will be mounted and indexed. If you wish to idex only system then the command is" I want to choose what partition will be searched, not all partitions, how can i choose ?

sh-4.1# apptree
/usr/bin/apptree: line 7: /tmp/name: No such file or directory
sh-4.1#