No "/proc/ide/" folder problem

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

No "/proc/ide/" folder problem

#1 Post by liro »

I've been trying to use the tp-fancontrol script to control the fan threshold temperatures on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad X31).

When running the script I get the following error message:

cat: /proc/ide/hda/model: No such file or directory
cat: /proc/ide/hda/model: No such file or directory
Shutting down, switching to automatic fan control

Which seems to be set off by:

if [[ -b "/dev/$DEV" ]]; then
local MODEL=`cat /proc/ide/hda/model `
if [[ "$MODEL" =~ "$HITACHI_MODELS" ]]; then
if HTEMP=`read_hitachi_temp "/proc/ide/hda" 2>/dev/null`; then
LAST_DISK_TEMP="$HTEMP"

Does anyone know why this folder doesn't exist on my setup, and where else I could get the "model" value from to use in the above code?

amigo

#2 Post by amigo »

"21 January 2008" - I would guess that changes in newer kernels have moved or removed the /proc/ide folder. There should be such info under /sys.

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

Barry has an IDE kernel 2.6.31.14 somewhere , search for it at bkhome.org/blog -- the old blog .

I think 2.6.21 or 2.6.25 were the first kernels to switch to libSATA IDE emulation .

Otherwise you need to recompile the kernel with additional IDE support inside , so the kernel will use IDE or SATA ( I do so -- kernel of course is larger ) .

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

Lucid kernel or graft on a Slax one..

the SATA switch was not handled very well in puppy for a while...

mike

liro

#5 Post by liro »

Thanks for the help guys. I couldn't find the appropriate value in the /sys folder, and don't really want to be messing about with the kernel, but... fortunately I've found another, more basic script that does more or less what I want. So I'll make do with this: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Code/fan-enable-safe