Eth0 working but DHCP will not pick up IP Ass Ad in Pup 2.

Please post any bugs you have found
FrustratedJohn

Eth0 working but DHCP will not pick up IP Ass Ad in Pup 2.

#1 Post by FrustratedJohn »

Have used puppy 1.08 and 1.09 with no problems on 3 computers. But pup 2 has a problem with my oldest computer. DHCP just can't pick up the automatic assigned address. It did work briefly but generally refuses to work. What had been changed here in pup2.

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

I'm just guessing, but perhaps the timeout on the dhcpcd is too short for your one piece of hardware (although 60 seconds is a long time).

You could try this manually and turn it up a bit:

ifconfig eth0 up
rm /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.*
dhcpcd -h Puppy2 -t 120 -d eth0

FrustratedJohn

Thanks but unfortunately no luck

#3 Post by FrustratedJohn »

Tried your suggestion John Doe but no luck. I don't believe more time is the problem. In all earlier puppy versions on the computer in question (Celeron 128MB Ram) and with pup2 on other computers DHCP finds the connection in seconds. The modem is a ZyXel - ADSL2+ and works fine as explained. The etho card is a davicom and its driver is listed in pup2. The strange thing is that when I first use the connect wizard all the screen messages indicate that DHCP has found the IP address. But once I start Opera then nothing.

John

John Doe

#4 Post by John Doe »

Can you ping the dhcp gateway?

Example:
ping -c 5 192.168.1.1

Are you connecting to a router or another computer ethernet?

If it's a router do you have any of your other computers also connected prior to trying to connect it?

Opera? What version of Puppy are you using and where did you get Opera?

Thanks for any feedback.

marksouth2000

#5 Post by marksouth2000 »

This problem sounds like it could be the "dhcpcd.pid file not being autodeleted" bug, which has bitten your truly. This is allegedly fixed in 2.01, but I haven't checked.

Check if there is a file ending in ".pid" in the /etc/dhcpc directory. If deleting it and then trying to connect works, then you know what caused it!

Cheers,
Mark

vabene06

#6 Post by vabene06 »

Hi,
i have the same problem. i found out, that with every new start from puppy-2.1 a entry (nameserver) in /etc/resolv.conf is gone!
i have two entrys for nameservers, after restarting there is only one left. In a file resolv.conf.sv (a saved-file?) everthing is correct. when i put the lost nameserver in resolv.conf everthing works, i get into internet. I dont know why this happens.
vabene

vabene06

#7 Post by vabene06 »

I solved the problem for me. it put in the script eth0mode (it in /etc) the entry -R (=dont change resolv.conf) and it works ok. vabene