slacko-5.6 Final - plus testing next

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Drive-mounting via desktop drive icon problem

#451 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rcrsn51,

Actually, I suspect it may be related to kdenlive. It was created for Saluki, which employs the xfce-thunar combo in which xfce (rather than rox?) handles icons for drives partitions. Beyond the kdenlive.sfs, itself, a "base" sfs must first be installed. Perhaps the later interfere with rox?'s usual functions. On another computer I have Slacko 5.5 & phatslacko running, both with OpenboxPlus. Nether reflects the problem. The easiest way to tell, which I'll do shortly, is simply unload the kdenlive sfses and see if that solves it: One of the great advantages of SFSes over pets.
Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Booted back into Slacko 5.6 and was inspired to click a desktop drive icon again before unloading kdenlive. The selected partition opened showing files and folders. On occasion the universe takes pleasure in driving me mad. This must have been one of them.
Edit: Nope. I had inadvertently booted into Slacko 5.3.3 which doesn't have the problem. Slacko 5.6 still does. Unloading kdenlive.sfs and its Base.sfs resolves it. It's worth keeping Slacko 5.3.3, or x-slacko 5.6 if kdenlive is important.

mikesLr

mini-jaguar

#452 Post by mini-jaguar »

Keef wrote:mini-jaguar

That is just a terminal window reduced to minimum size. Why it is there though, I have no idea.
Spyware/backdoors would be a bit crapif they advertised themselves that way, so I wouldn't worry that much.
Try running htop with no other progs running, and see what shows up.
Actually, I think it just announces if your camera is on or off in PAVrecord, something like that, wasn't connected to the internet when it came up.

rufwoof

New user - suggestions for next release

#453 Post by rufwoof »

As a new user of Slacko 5.6, first perception based things I'd like to see different in the next release are :

Better choice of colors in the terminal urxvt i.e .Xdefaults values changed (and HTOP also)

Firefox cache set to zero so doesn't fill up savefile space (perhaps also defaulting automatic updates to being off)

Inclusion of at76c50x-usb-firmware.pet i.e. better hardware detection (Belkin F5060 wireless adapter).

Better handling of NVIDIA cards - my Slacko boot DVD initially booted to a black screen. Only after booting to command prompt and then invoking xorgwizard and selecting nv standard was I able to get a GUI up and running.

Better support of multiple sound cards. The 'Multiple Sound Card Wizard' selection/setting of the sound card doesn't always persist across sessions. Appears that detection at boot time is random/different (timing) and a fix appears to be to change the hardware configuration from hw:0 to 'default' i.e.

1. Right-click on the speaker icon in the task bar.
2. Choose Config Window from the menu that pops up.
3. Click the Hardware tab.
4. Change Sound Card from "hw:0" to "default".

Better choice of colors/default font in GTK Themes. When OpenOffice is installed (SFS) the check boxes in OpenOffice CALC don't show whether they're checked or not under some GTK themes default settings (setting GTK Theme font to bold helps)

Otherwise really pleased. A big thanks to all concerned.

killapup

#454 Post by killapup »

bigpup wrote:killapup,

As I asked before, this info will give us a clue as to what may be going on.
My signature statement is so true. What you do not tell us is usually the clue to solving the problem.
I am posting this to extend my apologies to bigpup and gcmartin for not responding to their posts in this thread. I had been distracted (family matters) and haven't done anything much with linux since my last post, which didn't address the issue. I have subsequently reinstalled 5.6 and fixed the grub4dos menu.lst and both are working fine. Precise 5.7, Porteus 3 and Quirky 6.1 also reside comfortably alongside the others.

I hope you will both accept my apologies, and thanks for your valued input on the forum.

Now on to 5.7... See my post on 5.7 thread.
Slacko 6.3.2 on
Asus X54C 4Gb RAM
Also VectorLinux64 plus many others :D

bigpup

#455 Post by bigpup »

Slacko 5.6 being offered on the DVD that comes with latest issue of Linux Magazine issue 163 June 2014.
This month we give you a multilingual, multidistro DVD with six light Live Linux distributions.
Puppy Linux – Puppy Linux is a fun, friendly, and fast Linux distro fit for newbies.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/20 ... dium=email
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mcewanw

#456 Post by mcewanw »

mini-jaguar wrote:sorry if it's been covered before, but what does this icon above the clock in the lower right hand corner mean?
Sorry, just noticed this question.

In Puppy pAVrecord, gnome-mplayer (and mplayer) are called from an rxvt terminal, which would normally occupy the default rxvt amount of screen space for no other useful purpose.The rxvt window is coded using the "geometry" parameter to make it as small and as much out of the way as possible so as not to be a major distraction. It is indeed nothing to worry about and closes when you close pAVrecord. The line of code used is:

Code: Select all

rxvt -geometry "1x1-0-0" -e gnome-mplayer "${SDuse}/pAV${SFuse%%.*}.${avformat}" &
As for why gnome-mplayer is called via an rxvt window, instead of directly, I can't remember and haven't time to check just now, though I'm sure there must have been a good reason.

William
github mcewanw

sancxjo

Pavrecord no start.

#457 Post by sancxjo »

Hello!
I wrote down video in pavrecord. Then something broke in pavrecord and it isn't started now. Comer in an order - I checked. Where to look for the reason?
DebianDog-Jessie, Xenialpup 7.5
Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz

bigpup

#458 Post by bigpup »

How are you running Slacko 5.6?
A live, frugal, or full install?
Installed to what?
CD/DVD, USB drive, hard drive, etc....?

In a console type pavrecord and hit enter.
Any errors reported?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sancxjo

Pavrecord

#459 Post by sancxjo »

Distro: Slacko Puppy 5.6.0
Frugal, or full install I do not remember :?
Installed to USB Generic-Multi-Card 8G
Personal storage file 1.2 G

Code: Select all

# pavrecord
/usr/bin/pavrecord: line 738: AUTOMAKE: unbound variable
/usr/bin/pavrecord: line 588: TDIRFILE_DS1: unbound variable

OscarTalks

#460 Post by OscarTalks »

One thing you could try:-
Delete the hidden directory /root/.pavrecord and all contents.
Try starting pavrecord again.
If it works you will have to enter your configuration settings again.
Oscar in England

sancxjo

Pavrecord

#461 Post by sancxjo »

One folder removed and it worked. :D
Eh, I doodle I forgot about these hidden folders
Thank you!

don570

#462 Post by don570 »

If you are recording a radio broadcast you should try
baconrecorder which is found in my right click utility package
found HERE

greengeek

#463 Post by greengeek »

Does anyone have a link to the slacko 5.6 NonPAE devx please? The readme on the slacko download site says that the sfs manager will select the correct one automatically but when I try that method it says I cannot download it until I have installed slacko.

I am running Slacko5.6 in live mode only, so would like to download the devx manually for later use.

SFR

#464 Post by SFR »

greengeek wrote:Does anyone have a link to the slacko 5.6 NonPAE devx please? The readme on the slacko download site says that the sfs manager will select the correct one automatically but when I try that method it says I cannot download it until I have installed slacko.

I am running Slacko5.6 in live mode only, so would like to download the devx manually for later use.
Here you go buddy, pick any one. 8)

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/
ftp://ftp.vcu.edu/pub/gnu+linux/puppylinux/puppy-5.6/
http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/pupp ... puppy-5.6/
http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/pupp ... puppy-5.6/
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... puppy-5.6/

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

greengeek

#465 Post by greengeek »

Many thanks! I did look at the internode page this morning and I swear the devx wasn't there then.
Must be having a brain fade.
cheers!