During multi session DVD, will the HDD continue to spin?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
ssreddy

During multi session DVD, will the HDD continue to spin?

#1 Post by ssreddy »

During a multi session DVD session, everything is loaded to RAM & the session is run from the RAM.

In such a case, will the hard disk continue to revolve though there are no read - write operations or will it be at rest completely? If it's at rest totally, that will avoid a lot of wear & tear, isn't it?

tallboy

#2 Post by tallboy »

Hi ssreddy.
If you have a Linux swap partition on the harddisk, a live multisession loaded into RAM is set up to use that swap partition, unless you have programmed it not to do so.
So yes, your HDD may run.

I never use windoze, and am unfamiliar with how puppy use similar 'swap' partitions in that OS, so someone else may answer that bit!

You can of course disconnect your harddisk and run a live DVD multisession from RAM as usual, provided you have enough memory if you use large programs.

I always run live from a CD/DVD, but as far as I have understood, a puppy on a USB memory stick may be the best solution when running without a HDD on a low memory linuxbox.

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

ssreddy

#3 Post by ssreddy »

No, I don't have any swap partition on the hard disk.

The main sfs file, the save files & the rest of the puppy files are all on the dvd.

My question is in such a case, when everything is loaded into & being run from the RAM, Will the hard disk still revolve?

I know the system can be run without a hard disk now but if it is attached to the system, will it be at rest mechanically or will it still revolve?

gcmartin

HDD operations when power is on

#4 Post by gcmartin »

Hard disks whirl as long as there is power to them. They is little to no arm movements (data access) to non-mounted partitions, but the disks go round and round all the time.

Here to help

ssreddy

#5 Post by ssreddy »

Thank u.

amigo

#6 Post by amigo »

No, most hard disks do not spin forever when not being used. Any modern HD will spin down after a certain time. And you can always use hdparm or sdparm to spin them down when you want.