no wifi Precise puppy for live use on a usb drive.

Booting, installing, newbie
MrReality

#16 Post by MrReality »

It didn't seem to work in precise puppy, it worked in browser linux but it did the same thing it is doing now. working sometimes and sometimes not. It was working when i did the pdiag thing. how can i make it where it always works?

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

MrReality,

In your first post you said that in Browser Linux it connects "just fine" but you lose the connection for a couple of days. That doesn't sound "just fine" to me.

Why have you ruled out some sort of intermittent fault on the wireless card? Sounds like a possibilty to me from everything you have described so far.

Do other computers connect via wireless to your router without problems or are you not able to test this?

If the card is OK, but the wireless connection remains hit-and-miss, here are a couple of suggestions:-

Reboot your wireless modem router. Sometimes they can be a bit rubbish and people leave them powered up continuously for long periods. Disconnect it from the supply completely and let it discharge for 5 minutes before restarting it.

Try changing the channel. Wireless uses radio waves and lots of people use wireless these days. Signals from neighbours may be on the same frequency as yours and this can cause interference which disrupts your connection. When I do a scan here I can see lots of signals on the same channel (especially channel 1) and some channels with no users on them. Go into your router settings. The channel number may be set to "auto" but I prefer to set it to a number manually (one that seems clear when I do a scan on my computer).
Oscar in England

cthisbear

#18 Post by cthisbear »

" Try changing the wireless channel. "

Good call.

""""""""

Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signal

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/ch ... ss-signal/

""""""""""

" Set your router to operate on a wireless channel that is furthest from channel 6, which is the default of most home routers; doing so may help you experience less interference from neighbors' WiFi devices. "

http://www.ehow.com/how_6395556_set-wir ... annel.html

Chris.

MrReality

#19 Post by MrReality »

When it finds it, it finds the 5 or 6 other ones too. When it stops working, it doesn't find ANY! All other computers have no problems with it.

Burn_IT

#20 Post by Burn_IT »

That sounds like a faulty card to me.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett