Error with windows 8

Please post any bugs you have found
jacobmahon

Error with windows 8

#1 Post by jacobmahon »

With windows 8, it seems that no matter what I try, windows comes up with an error saying /grldr.mbr was not found. I've tried legacy, and EFI booting and neither will work. I am currently trying to use pUPnGO-V412. Any work around?

jacobmahon

Curious

#2 Post by jacobmahon »

I'm also curios why I can't just boot puppy from an ISO on a flash drive on windows 8. It should be simple, no?

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

You seem to have a recent machine . Pup*412 versions might have a kernel that does not support newest HW .

For booting a .iso file at whole without extracting/burn it you would need some kind of bootloader that supports .iso mounting/booting .

Puppy's grub0.97 Legacy bootloader doesn't support loop booting of .iso . Grub version 1.9x is said to be capable to do such .

Jim1911

#4 Post by Jim1911 »

Try shinobar's Grub4Dos which works well with Windows 8 on my hardware.

Karl Godt's point about your recent hardware is right on target. You need to try later pups with your hardware. Grub4Dos can easily be installed by all recent pups.

8-bit

#5 Post by 8-bit »

I remember reading recently that M$, in the interests of security, want to change PCs again to stop the ability of being able to boot an OS from a flash drive!
Their reasoning is that the installation of Windows could be accessed from another booted OS and as such, is a security risk they want to stop.

It seems they are determined to try to make it impossible to boot or run any other operating system from any device other than their own!