How to put Opera in Slacko, purge from command line?

Booting, installing, newbie
old-user

How to put Opera in Slacko, purge from command line?

#1 Post by old-user »

Just a couple of questions from a Puppy Slacko noob.

Is there anyway i could get hold of the Opera web browser via Puppy Packet Manager?

Also, is there a way to purge software from the command line?

Thanks for your patience and of course any help.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Isn't Opera in there? What apps are you look'n to get rid of? To save space?

old-user

#3 Post by old-user »

Hi Semme
I eventually found opera 12.16 in the slackware-14.0-salix repository. But the problem i have found that when i reinstall Opera it comes with old and unused bookmarks and when i click on bookmarks manager i find the folder these bookmarks were in is deleted?

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Are you saying your old ones are gone? Along with bookmarks.adr, user settings are kept in /root/.opera.

old-user

#5 Post by old-user »

The problem is i previously downloaded Opera 12.16 and accidentally deleted some folders i shouldn't have. So in order to rectify this i uninstalled opera and then reinstalled opera hoping that everything would be alright. But they weren't because the deleted folders were still missing?

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

So what was deleted? Does Opera run OK? Next time, ask when you're unsure..

old-user

#7 Post by old-user »

That's why i was asking, last time!

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

At first I was under the impression you didn't have Opera. Then you spoke about reinstalling.. then deleted folders and now missing bookmarks. The deal is.. before anything sketchy, and this covers new installations, you'd always wanna export your bkmrks beforehand. This way you give yourself a cushion should things go awry.

These notes aside- you're where with Opera?

old-user

#9 Post by old-user »

I am now running Opera but when i click on 'Manage Bookmarks', i always see "Folder deleted"?

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

If your personal settings (including bookmarks) have got messed up and you don't mind starting from scratch, what you could do is just delete the entire folder /root/.opera (click on the eye button in ROX to reveal hidden files and folders).

When you start Opera after doing that it will be in "virgin" form and will create that cluster of files and folders again. You will need to set up your preferences again of course but that doesn't really take very long.

If that Opera was a Slackware one there may have been some config files with it which are not ideal for Puppy. If problems persist you may wish to uninstall it. There is a version of Opera 12.16 which was assembled and recently uploaded by BarryK which is in the "puppy-common" repo. Make sure you have this repo enabled in Puppy Package Manager, you may have to update the repo database as well because it is so recent.
Oscar in England