Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 with non-PAE 3.9.9 kernel. 13 July 2013

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#256 Post by OscarTalks »

Pemasu,
Just did a very quick test, booted 3.9.9.2 pfix=ram, obviously no bug, installed the .pet and still no bug.

Downloaded the raring / raring updates .deb from packages.ubuntu.com and installed it over the top, bug appeared.

Installed your .pet over the top again and the bug was gone again.
Remembering to restart X each time. Looks OK unless there is some other specific test you want me to try.
Oscar in England

pemasu

#257 Post by pemasu »

OscarTalks. Thanks. That sounded proof enough. Otherwise. Just usual normal testing. If there is something missing or misbehaving, now it would be good time to point it. I will create quick update quite soon so that I can include libX11 compiled in Upup Raring with almost official patch.

Jim1911

Upup Raring 3.9.9.2

#258 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi pemasu,

Your new Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 is running great with my usual software including the Nvidia driver. :D

Of course your Bibletime 2.9.1 still isn't working as I reported before. because of an Ubuntu injected bug.

Thanks for another super distribution.
Jim

charlie6

non US keyboard

#259 Post by charlie6 »

Pemasu,
bonjour !
raring-3.9.9.2
be-latin1 keymap behaves OK after installed the latest libX11-1.6.1.pet on a pfix=ram session + restarted X.

many thanks again
charlie

starhawk

#260 Post by starhawk »

Pemasu, can I ask a favor?

I've been trying to get Jejy69's MATE working on Upup Raring and Precise (versions are unimportant here -- I've no data at all on the computer this affects, so I can wipe/install as needed here). It's been a failure so far, with an error that I only now think I understand.

It appears that the gma500 driver for Puppy is compiled without support for the Intel GMBUS. There is a patch (fifth in a series of IIRC nine) that will fix this, but I can't code well enough to even read that mess.

Would you be able to recompile that driver with the necessary patch(es) to enable GMBUS support? I'll gladly provide testing for it. Assume I'm using Precise 3992, which I'm about to download.

Patch for GMBUS support is here --> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/d ... 17225.html

pemasu

#261 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. The patch is for kernel driver module and the patch has been created december 2011

I dont believe it is valid anymore. I tried the patch and it looks like source code has changed so much that it was not possible to apply it.

Over 1½ year in linux kernel development is long time.
Sorry.

Beside. I think that the GMBUS code which the patch applies, is there already. I checked those GMBUS rows which were not in 2011 kernel, and those rows are there now.

So...I think that the patch is also obsolete now. The GMBUS support is there and since I have included gma500 support, it is in my kernel also.

starhawk

#262 Post by starhawk »

Huh... I wonder why GNOME/MATE doesn't want to work then, complaining that GMBUS support is disabled...?

pemasu

#263 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. I really dont know. Gnome - Unity - Mate - Cinnamon is unknown territory to me.

But...just question. Could it have something to do with modesetting driver, which is unaccelerated xorg driver. I suppose you are using it.

What I read about gma500 and Ubuntu. Mostly ppl recommended to avoid Ubuntu and use K/X/Lubuntu due to graphics problems.

For you...if JWM is not enough...I would try LXDE sfs as substitute or openbox with some other panel.

I am not sure if there will be solution for working GNOME - MATE and gma500. Have you read a success story with your netbook and 13.04 Ubuntu ?

I wont try it anyway. LXDE is the farthest point I will go with WM - DM. More complex than that it interferes my comp usage.

greengeek

#264 Post by greengeek »

Hi Pemasu, I am trialling 3.9.9.2 and I'm very impressed - especially that the Abiword version is also able to handle docx. Just one suggestion - it seems that a docx file does not show the normal icon that a .doc would (even though if I click it Abiword does open it automatically so I guess that means the mime type is correctly set??). Is this easy to fix the icon so that it shows the same as a doc? Thanks for this distro, it looks really good.

greengeek

#265 Post by greengeek »

SFR wrote:Hey Pemasu & Aarf
Check out if this looks better:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 838#713838
Hi SFR, any chance this could also be done for "welcome1stboot" ? (eg the Precise version...). It's too big to be practical on a netbook. :-)

SFR

#266 Post by SFR »

greengeek wrote:
SFR wrote:Hey Pemasu & Aarf
Check out if this looks better:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 838#713838
Hi SFR, any chance this could also be done for "welcome1stboot" ? (eg the Precise version...). It's too big to be practical on a netbook. :-)
Hey Greengeek

Probably yes, however it's written in Bacon (source is in /usr/sbin/weclome1stboot.bac; load devx before, to see it) and I don't know it. :roll:
Besides from what I saw in that code, all widgets are strictly hardcoded on specific positions within the main window.
A quick & dirty workaround could be to increase DPI in line 25:

Code: Select all

HUGOPTIONS("BASEXFTDPI 96")
to e.g. 104
Thanks to that, the reduction of window size is 640x501 -> 590x463, but some icons will be a bit trimmed.
You can try it by yourself and see if this helps.
To compile, just type:

Code: Select all

bacon /usr/sbin/welcome1stboot.bac
But anyway, best to contact someone who knows Bacon (Vovchik, Sunburnt, Bigbass, Barry himself).

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

greengeek

#267 Post by greengeek »

Thanks as always SFR!

linux28

#268 Post by linux28 »

acpi seems to have problems will lead to auto-restart

starhawk

#269 Post by starhawk »

pemasu wrote:But...just question. Could it have something to do with modesetting driver, which is unaccelerated xorg driver. I suppose you are using it.
Is there a way to invoke the gma500 driver, and have it work, without using the modesetting driver? I can try it if there is.

Also, the, er, "netbook" in question is this --> http://www.axiomtek.com/products/ViewPr ... p?view=680
(Well, to be fair it's an IGoLogic rebrand, but all they do --honest!-- is put a sticker with their part number over the original label!!)

pemasu

#270 Post by pemasu »

Modesetting driver is the one to use in Upup Raring.

There is linux powervr driver from intel and I think Tempestuous compiled it for testing for some Slacko version...or something. The thread should be somewhere in this forum.

I have no experience of it.

Yeah...it looks like you netleaflet. Homemade comp environment. Now I remember that you posted about it some time ago. Sorry for forgetting that.

starhawk

#271 Post by starhawk »

OK, now I'm confused.

First, it seems to me like you said that the modesetting driver could be the problem.

Now you are recommending that I use it?

:?

pemasu

#272 Post by pemasu »

Starhawk. Xorg modesetting driver is available for use in Upup Raring. It gives you best resolution.

Now you would like to use other wm than is present in Upup Raring.

I just pointed out that unaccelerated xorg modesetting driver might be one reason that Gnome - Mate wm does not work for you. Just guessing.

I didnt tell you not use modesetting driver. JWM and xorg modesetting is working combination in Upup Raring.

It might be best that I stick with this definition.
What you are trying to accomplish is probably something from what there is not much reference in murga-linux forum.

edoc

qmake?

#273 Post by edoc »

I was trying to build an app "gqrx" that I downloaded from git.

It requires gmake, which failed, so I used PPM to get the qt4 version - but it still fails.

Why might that be, please?

I'm using 2.9.9.2 (latest version) with devx installed.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

greengeek

#274 Post by greengeek »

I tried Openoffice (via quickpet) and the sfs initially installed into /root and then when I shutdown it asked if i wanted it moved into /home. I said 'yes' to the move and all worked ok and openoffice appeared in the document menu. All good.

Then I tried the same thing with Libreoffice but the sfs is still sitting in /root - it did not prompt me to accept a move to /home. This is fine - I am happy to leave the sfs in /root, but there are no Libreoffice entries available in the document menu. (Bootmanager shows the Libreoffice sfs in the right pane available to be loaded at boot time). I have a couple of questions please:

1) How do I start the basic libreoffice splash/choose screen when there are no entries in the document menu (it started automatically the first time after it self-installed the sfs)

2) Is there intended to be a mechanism to autoload the menu entries into the document menu, or do I need to do this manually?

pemasu

#275 Post by pemasu »

greengeek. Quickpet is 666philb`s product. I believe he knows best.
To that Libreoffice menu problem.
In console: fixmenus
and restart JWM
it might help.
I have used get_libreoffice from Menu > Document to build finnish Libreoffice so I havent used the quickpet provided one.