Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 08:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 with non-PAE 3.9.9 kernel. 13 July 2013
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 31 of 32 [474 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32 Next
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 02 Feb 2014, 03:40    Post subject:  

Hello, all.

Support for Ubuntu Raring has ended Jan. 27, 2014.
Does it have any effect on UpupRaring? On the repos, perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

musher0

edoc

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb 2014, 17:01    Post subject: Midori Browser for Raring 3.9.9.2?  

Any chance of a Midori PET or SFS for Raring?

Or, if Raring is to be replaced, for the replacement?

http://www.puppylinuxfaq.org/add-on-software/29-pet/223-midori-internet-browser-pet.html

Firefox is making too many bad moves.

Midori appears to be WebKit-fast, is cross-platform, open-source, & defaults to the privacy-respecting DuckDuckGo.com Search engine.

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
tlchost

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb 2014, 19:22    Post subject: Re: Midori Browser for Raring 3.9.9.2?  

edoc wrote:
Any chance of a Midori PET or SFS for Raring?

There's one in the package manager....I installed it...works....requires dependencies...tells you which ones.

I'd like to see an sfs or a pet that I can convert to sfs....do not like bloating my save file with stuff.
edoc

PostPosted: Thu 13 Feb 2014, 20:17    Post subject:  

I should have checked that ... thanks!

BTW: There is a Lucid PET that someone may be able to port to Raring ...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/midori-0.2.4-Lucid.pet

Puppy upup Raring 3992 & Lighthouse64-b602
tlchost

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb 2014, 07:43    Post subject:  

edoc wrote:
I should have checked that ... thanks!

You're welcome....hopefully someone will make a pet and/or sfs .

Thom
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb 2014, 14:09    Post subject: Make your own SFS --Midori or almost anything else  

Hi tlchost

RFS created a pet named PaDS. Sorry my internet connection is slow today or i'd provide a link from which you can download it. But if you do a well-minded search for PaDS you should be able to find it with further information. At any rate, it's an application which makes it easy to create an SFS from a pet, deb or rpm, or combine several pets into an SFS.
You're fortunate in that midori has dependencies. When that occur PPM provides the option to download the app and its dependencies without installing. [Otherwise you have to hunt for each file you need]. So to create an SFS of midori, just download it and its dependencies into a folder. Then start PaDS, click the Add button, browse to the folder, and select each of the files you downloaded. You have to select them one-at-a-time. Then click "create sfs" and you've got your midori.SFS.

Midori is small enough so that you can use /root as your work directory. Don't forget to name your project midori [top row on right when you start PaDS].

mikesLr
tlchost

PostPosted: Fri 14 Feb 2014, 17:39    Post subject: Re: Make your own SFS --Midori or almost anything else  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi tlchost

RFS created a pet named PaDS.

Thanks....found it

Sadly, it doesn't work....appears to work, creates an sfs, but that sfs is missing libgstapp-1.0.so.0

Using the package manager, I can install midori...but the app and the libs consume over 80 megs of space in a save file.
Tman

PostPosted: Sat 15 Feb 2014, 23:01    Post subject:  

I've been using a modified version of Upup Raring for over 2 months now. It has been tweaked to look and function like Tinted Slacko, but is not yet quite as polished (due to my laziness ). Upup Raring is a very stable and well-built release, and provides a good base with its newer libraries. Thank You, Pemasu. Smile
Tint2-Upup-Raring.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   129.34 KB
 Viewed   898 Time(s)

Tint2-Upup-Raring.jpg

greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Feb 2014, 04:13    Post subject:  

Aaahh, Tman - nice work. Looking forward to the finished product if you feel like releasing it into the wild...
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 13:54    Post subject: flowblade video editor and midori.sfs  

Hi tlchost & All,

First, something which may be of some general interest. Thanks to 666philb's ingenuity, flowblade video editor is available. I believe it to be the most versatile video editor in Linux. I have it working in both upup precise and upup raring. Like any application with lots of bells and whistles it take some getting used to.If your interested, check the thread beginning at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91445.

Tlchost:

I'm posting using a midori.sfs running under raring.

Sorry, I had assumed that you had already tried to use the midori-lucid pet for which edoc provided a link and had been unsuccessful. FYI, often applications compiled for one version of a pup will function in a later version from the same family: that is ubuntu based pets in later ubuntu based pups; slackos in slacko, salukis in carolinas, and so on. Especially if your interests are with SFSes it's safe to experiment, because if a problem arises you can unload the application. Less so with the installation of pets as uninstalling a problem pet which over-road the libraries in your SaveFile may result in a SaveFile missing libraries required by other applications. If you want to experiment with pets, create a “backup” SaveFile: boot without a SaveFile or into a different Pup; create a folder at least two levels below the top of a partion –e.g., sda1>raring>protect-- and copy the SaveFile into it. If you run into problems just delete the “broken” SaveFile and copy the protected SaveFile into the active position.

At any rate, the midori-lucid pet, converted to an SFS works under raring. If started from a terminal it will complain about a font-config file in /etc being deprecated (or something to that effect) but it does run. Perhaps someone with more experience will know what that means, its ramifications for other applications, or how to fix it. But, as I indicated you can always unload the midori-SFS and easily recover. [Not sure you'll run into this problem, but while experimenting my network configuration got mangled so that none of my browsers were able to get online: fixed by re-running the Internet Connection wizard, after which all, including midori worked].

The easy technique for obtaining an SFS from a pet is as follows:

1. Download the pet (in this case midori-0.2.4-lucid) into a “work” directory. I maintain several on /mnt/home, which is formatted as a Linux partition. [Don't know if ntfs or Fat(32) partitions are always usuable, especially if during the build process you have to create a symlink. If the pet your working on is small, or your SaveFile is large enough, a folder in /root will do fine].
2. Right-click the pet and select “rename”. Change the ending from pet to tgz. A pet is simply a file compressed in tgz format which ppm/petget knows to install.
3. Left-click the tgz file, and select “NO” to the offer to install it.
4. Compression software will be initiated. Click the Select All icon, and then Click Extract. You may have to click the down-icon at the far right of the toolbar to see it. Accept the default offer as to where to extract to. It will create a folder, named “midori-0.2.4-lucid”,containing all midori's files.
5. Optional: right-click the folder, select rename, and change its name to midori-0.2.4-raring,or midori-upups.
6. Semi-optional: Not required if jwm is your window-manager; required if openbox is and you want a menu entry. Browse within the folder to /usr/share/applications and right-click the midori.deskop file. Select open with geany or as text. Scroll down to the line which reads “Categories=GTK;Network;WebBrowser;”. Edit that to read “Categories=X-Internet”. Openbox gets confused when the first argument is gtk. WebBrownser might be sufficient, but X-internet is what Puppy uses as the default argument for an application to appear on the internet sub-menu. If you want multiple arguments, a semi-colon [not a space] should follow each, including the last. Click Save.
7. Scroll up so that the entire midori-0.2.4-lucid (or whatever) folder can be seen within your work folder. Right-click an empty space in your work folder and select window>terminal here. A terminal will open.
8. Assuming you didn't change the midori-folder's name, type the following exactly, being careful regarding spacing and punctuation.
dir2sfs midori-0.2.4-lucid
Don't worry. If you make a mistake the only thing which will happen is that you'll receive a message. But if you've type it correctly, an SFS will be created [along with a md5 checksum file. If you're not publishing your pet, you can immediately delete the latter]. Keep the midori-folder for now.
9. Open a second rox (or other file-manager) window to /mnt/home. Then move your new SFS to /mnt/home. Using rox, just right-click the SFS, drag it and select Move.
10. Using SFS-load, or SFS-load-on-the-fly, load but do not run your SFS. You may be able to just right-click the SFS and select SFS-load if your Puppy's right-click options provide such.
11. Open a terminal and type the application's name, in this case midori. If it's name wasn't obvious, browse to /usr/share/applications, open its desktop file and see what argument is given after Exec=. The reason for opening an application the first time via a terminal is that, if the application doesn't start you'll receive information as to what went wrong. If something went wrong, it may also pay to do the following: run pfind to locate the application's executable. It will almost always be in a “bin” folder, such as /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin. [Google and LibreOffice executables end up somewhere in /opt]. Browse to that folder, open a terminal and type ldd followed by the name of the executable, in this case:
ldd midori
You'll receive a report as to most (all?) missing files. If you've kept the application's “work-folder”, you may be able to locate copies of the missing files, insert them, and rebuild to a working SFS.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 18:48; edited 2 times in total
charlie6

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 15:07    Post subject:  

Hi mikesLr,
tons of thanks for this nice «howto» !

Quote:
8. Assuming you didn't change the midori-folder's name, type the following exactly, ...

just guess which command line to type ...

solution will (hopefully) follow in a next post Very Happy

charlie ..just joking
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 17 Feb 2014, 16:35    Post subject:  

Hi charlie6,

I thought it better to insert the missing instruction into the post. Thanks for catching its absence, That's why there are editors. Writers only know what they think they wrote.
The devil's in the details. Like jumping 99.9% of the way across the Grand Canyon. Then again, it would have been good enough for government work, And who doesn't like a little mystery?

mikesLr
futwerk

PostPosted: Sun 02 Mar 2014, 20:02    Post subject:  

background
upupms2.jpg
 Description   http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
 Filesize   136.92 KB
 Viewed   602 Time(s)

upupms2.jpg

rockedge

PostPosted: Wed 12 Mar 2014, 13:52    Post subject:  

I am having really good results on various machines running UPUP Raring 3.9.9.2. This is by far my favorite OS. I have been building ZoneMinder boxes using Raring as a base OS. Once it is installed and working ZoneMinder has proven to be very reliable and the Apache2 ,MySQL runs rock solid stable. On one machine also installed Hiawatha 9.3.1 Server side by side with Apache which I can start instead of Apache.
Getting all this to work was somewhat tricky. My question is after installing MySQL from the PPM and get it started, I can not reboot. Just with Apache installed and making a save file and reboot work. I have to make an .sfs of etc,root.usr then force a reboot from the shell. On restart the save file throws an error and forces me to start raring in RAM then create a new save file. Then load the .sfs, add the various directories with correct permissions and then everything works. Apache starts, MySQL starts then I load the raring-devx sfs to compile zoneminder.
After more adding 2 modules to PERL ZoneMinder will compile and install then run nicely.
Can I fix the first save file?
What can I fix to get UPUP to reboot or stop?

Thanks to all for any help for my enlightenment on this matter.
ozsouth

PostPosted: Thu 13 Mar 2014, 01:53    Post subject: Fontwizard issue  

Have been using this puplet for months; love it! One issue:

After running Fontwizard (Desktop menu) & restarting X, discovered that pmount failed to mount/unmount. Suspect other apps will be affected.
Fontwizard replaces /etc/local/local.conf with a link to /root/.fonts.conf, which is listed as 'deprecated="yes"' (& hence ignored) in
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/50-user.conf - fixed by editing line 9 to 'deprecated="no"' in that file.
Page 31 of 32 [474 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 29, 30, 31, 32 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: