Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 with non-PAE 3.9.9 kernel. 13 July 2013

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
musher0

#451 Post by musher0 »

Hello, all.

Support for Ubuntu Raring has ended Jan. 27, 2014.
Does it have any effect on UpupRaring? On the repos, perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

edoc

Midori Browser for Raring 3.9.9.2?

#452 Post by edoc »

Any chance of a Midori PET or SFS for Raring?

Or, if Raring is to be replaced, for the replacement?

http://www.puppylinuxfaq.org/add-on-sof ... r-pet.html

Firefox is making too many bad moves.

Midori appears to be WebKit-fast, is cross-platform, open-source, & defaults to the privacy-respecting DuckDuckGo.com Search engine.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

tlchost

Re: Midori Browser for Raring 3.9.9.2?

#453 Post by tlchost »

edoc wrote:Any chance of a Midori PET or SFS for Raring?
There's one in the package manager....I installed it...works....requires dependencies...tells you which ones.

I'd like to see an sfs or a pet that I can convert to sfs....do not like bloating my save file with stuff.

edoc

#454 Post by edoc »

I should have checked that ... thanks!

BTW: There is a Lucid PET that someone may be able to port to Raring ...

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

tlchost

#455 Post by tlchost »

edoc wrote:I should have checked that ... thanks!
You're welcome....hopefully someone will make a pet and/or sfs .

Thom

mikeslr

Make your own SFS --Midori or almost anything else

#456 Post by mikeslr »

Hi tlchost

RFS created a pet named PaDS. Sorry my internet connection is slow today or i'd provide a link from which you can download it. But if you do a well-minded search for PaDS you should be able to find it with further information. At any rate, it's an application which makes it easy to create an SFS from a pet, deb or rpm, or combine several pets into an SFS.
You're fortunate in that midori has dependencies. When that occur PPM provides the option to download the app and its dependencies without installing. [Otherwise you have to hunt for each file you need]. So to create an SFS of midori, just download it and its dependencies into a folder. Then start PaDS, click the Add button, browse to the folder, and select each of the files you downloaded. You have to select them one-at-a-time. Then click "create sfs" and you've got your midori.SFS.

Midori is small enough so that you can use /root as your work directory. Don't forget to name your project midori [top row on right when you start PaDS].

mikesLr

tlchost

Re: Make your own SFS --Midori or almost anything else

#457 Post by tlchost »

mikeslr wrote:Hi tlchost

RFS created a pet named PaDS.
Thanks....found it

Sadly, it doesn't work....appears to work, creates an sfs, but that sfs is missing libgstapp-1.0.so.0

Using the package manager, I can install midori...but the app and the libs consume over 80 megs of space in a save file.

Tman

#458 Post by Tman »

I've been using a modified version of Upup Raring for over 2 months now. It has been tweaked to look and function like Tinted Slacko, but is not yet quite as polished (due to my laziness ). Upup Raring is a very stable and well-built release, and provides a good base with its newer libraries. Thank You, Pemasu. :)
Attachments
Tint2-Upup-Raring.jpg
(129.34 KiB) Downloaded 1424 times

greengeek

#459 Post by greengeek »

Aaahh, Tman - nice work. Looking forward to the finished product if you feel like releasing it into the wild...

mikeslr

flowblade video editor and midori.sfs

#460 Post by mikeslr »

Hi tlchost & All,

First, something which may be of some general interest. Thanks to 666philb's ingenuity, flowblade video editor is available. I believe it to be the most versatile video editor in Linux. I have it working in both upup precise and upup raring. Like any application with lots of bells and whistles it take some getting used to.If your interested, check the thread beginning at http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91445.

Tlchost:

I'm posting using a midori.sfs running under raring.

Sorry, I had assumed that you had already tried to use the midori-lucid pet for which edoc provided a link and had been unsuccessful. FYI, often applications compiled for one version of a pup will function in a later version from the same family: that is ubuntu based pets in later ubuntu based pups; slackos in slacko, salukis in carolinas, and so on. Especially if your interests are with SFSes it's safe to experiment, because if a problem arises you can unload the application. Less so with the installation of pets as uninstalling a problem pet which over-road the libraries in your SaveFile may result in a SaveFile missing libraries required by other applications. If you want to experiment with pets, create a “backup
Last edited by mikeslr on Mon 17 Feb 2014, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

charlie6

#461 Post by charlie6 »

Hi mikesLr,
tons of thanks for this nice «howto» !
8. Assuming you didn't change the midori-folder's name, type the following exactly, ...
just guess which command line to type ...

solution will (hopefully) follow in a next post :D

charlie ..just joking

mikeslr

#462 Post by mikeslr »

Hi charlie6,

I thought it better to insert the missing instruction into the post. Thanks for catching its absence, That's why there are editors. Writers only know what they think they wrote.
The devil's in the details. Like jumping 99.9% of the way across the Grand Canyon. Then again, it would have been good enough for government work, And who doesn't like a little mystery?

mikesLr

futwerk

#463 Post by futwerk »

background
Attachments
upupms2.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?x4v77bi1p58ox
(136.92 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times

rockedge

#464 Post by rockedge »

I am having really good results on various machines running UPUP Raring 3.9.9.2. This is by far my favorite OS. I have been building ZoneMinder boxes using Raring as a base OS. Once it is installed and working ZoneMinder has proven to be very reliable and the Apache2 ,MySQL runs rock solid stable. On one machine also installed Hiawatha 9.3.1 Server side by side with Apache which I can start instead of Apache.
Getting all this to work was somewhat tricky. My question is after installing MySQL from the PPM and get it started, I can not reboot. Just with Apache installed and making a save file and reboot work. I have to make an .sfs of etc,root.usr then force a reboot from the shell. On restart the save file throws an error and forces me to start raring in RAM then create a new save file. Then load the .sfs, add the various directories with correct permissions and then everything works. Apache starts, MySQL starts then I load the raring-devx sfs to compile zoneminder.
After more adding 2 modules to PERL ZoneMinder will compile and install then run nicely.
Can I fix the first save file?
What can I fix to get UPUP to reboot or stop?

Thanks to all for any help for my enlightenment on this matter.

ozsouth

Fontwizard issue

#465 Post by ozsouth »

Have been using this puplet for months; love it! One issue:

After running Fontwizard (Desktop menu) & restarting X, discovered that pmount failed to mount/unmount. Suspect other apps will be affected.
Fontwizard replaces /etc/local/local.conf with a link to /root/.fonts.conf, which is listed as 'deprecated="yes"' (& hence ignored) in
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/50-user.conf - fixed by editing line 9 to 'deprecated="no"' in that file.

James C

#466 Post by James C »

Just wanted to post a big thank you to Pemasu. Raring 3.9.9.2 has been rock solid all these months.
Great job. :)
Attachments
Still running fine.jpg
(88.79 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times

sszindian

#467 Post by sszindian »

Funny, just happen to be also using Raring-3.9.9.2 and saw your post :)

3.9.9.2 was/still is a good program but I've noticed that pemasu hasn't been around in the forums here since BK went over the hill in retirement? Haven't seen much of 01micko around either.... hmmmm ?? Hope they don't pull the plug here too!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

slavvo67

#468 Post by slavvo67 »

I share your concerns about Pemasu. I find his end products to be superior and his quality control, unmatched.

My theory is that he's working in the background on Bones or whatever they call the base development program of Puppy. Since Barry semi-retired, I believe he was a part of a team of programmers that took the reigns to lead the project going forward.

Not sure, but I believe this is the case.

Best,

Slavvo

James C

#469 Post by James C »

Just messing around.....

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Memory		: 3113MB (238MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Upup Raring - 3.9.9.2
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 23 Jun 2014 10:23:32 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.15.0 (i686)
Version		: #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 20 16:19:55 UTC 2014
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable)
Distribution		: Upup Raring - 3.9.9.2
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: puppypc5665
User Name		: root (root)
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)

# uname -a
Linux puppypc5665 3.15.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 20 16:19:55 UTC 2014 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
#

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       3113308       695424      2417884            0        83856
-/+ buffers:             611568      2501740
Swap:      6246396            0      6246396
# 

James C

#470 Post by James C »

slavvo67 wrote:I share your concerns about Pemasu. I find his end products to be superior and his quality control, unmatched.

My theory is that he's working in the background on Bones or whatever they call the base development program of Puppy. Since Barry semi-retired, I believe he was a part of a team of programmers that took the reigns to lead the project going forward.

Not sure, but I believe this is the case.

Best,

Slavvo
Believe he has a family and career that keeps him pretty busy.Gotta pay the bills. :)