Upup Raring 3.9.9.2 with non-PAE 3.9.9 kernel. 13 July 2013

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
James C

#466 Post by James C »

Just wanted to post a big thank you to Pemasu. Raring 3.9.9.2 has been rock solid all these months.
Great job. :)
Attachments
Still running fine.jpg
(88.79 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times

sszindian

#467 Post by sszindian »

Funny, just happen to be also using Raring-3.9.9.2 and saw your post :)

3.9.9.2 was/still is a good program but I've noticed that pemasu hasn't been around in the forums here since BK went over the hill in retirement? Haven't seen much of 01micko around either.... hmmmm ?? Hope they don't pull the plug here too!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

slavvo67

#468 Post by slavvo67 »

I share your concerns about Pemasu. I find his end products to be superior and his quality control, unmatched.

My theory is that he's working in the background on Bones or whatever they call the base development program of Puppy. Since Barry semi-retired, I believe he was a part of a team of programmers that took the reigns to lead the project going forward.

Not sure, but I believe this is the case.

Best,

Slavvo

James C

#469 Post by James C »

Just messing around.....

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
Memory		: 3113MB (238MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Upup Raring - 3.9.9.2
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon 23 Jun 2014 10:23:32 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.2, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 3.15.0 (i686)
Version		: #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 20 16:19:55 UTC 2014
C Library		: GNU C Library version 2.17 (stable)
Distribution		: Upup Raring - 3.9.9.2
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: puppypc5665
User Name		: root (root)
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)

# uname -a
Linux puppypc5665 3.15.0 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jun 20 16:19:55 UTC 2014 i686 athlon i686 GNU/Linux
#

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       3113308       695424      2417884            0        83856
-/+ buffers:             611568      2501740
Swap:      6246396            0      6246396
# 

James C

#470 Post by James C »

slavvo67 wrote:I share your concerns about Pemasu. I find his end products to be superior and his quality control, unmatched.

My theory is that he's working in the background on Bones or whatever they call the base development program of Puppy. Since Barry semi-retired, I believe he was a part of a team of programmers that took the reigns to lead the project going forward.

Not sure, but I believe this is the case.

Best,

Slavvo
Believe he has a family and career that keeps him pretty busy.Gotta pay the bills. :)

James C

#471 Post by James C »

Attachments
Raring.jpg
(109.54 KiB) Downloaded 939 times

rockedge

is there a solution to this bug

#472 Post by rockedge »

here on PIV + Brookdale video chip 82845G:
using new upload raring-3.9.9 by 130717 (start using grub from puppy_raring_3.9.9.sfs + initrd.gz + vmlinuz on hdd partition...as i use to do to test new puppies):
starting without savefile
1. i got a black X desktop screen + a few icons displayed; no popup main menu not text (see attached screenshot);
it was not the case with the previous raring-3.9.9 where the X desktop displayed straight ....is it due to a new xorgwizrad version ..?
2. a few minutes wait time is needed before right clicking displays the popup menu icons; and then allows to find the X restart icons; after doing "X restart", the full X desktop is displayed; one has to do Menu/Setup/QuickSetup-first-setting to set locale settings.

The former raring-3.8.9.1 and former raring-3.9.9 versions had no such problem.
This is from an earlier post from Charlie6 on this thread. I am running a DELL Dimension 2350 with 3.9.9.2 and have run into this problem. I can't seem to find a fix or work around solution to this issue, and could use a tip to head in the right direction to find out how I can fix this bug. Otherwise everything appears to run well.
Thank you for any help!

parishilton

Package manager no longer has correct raring address

#473 Post by parishilton »

As previously mentioned by musher0 support for raring ended in January of this year. As a consequence of this the address for the puppy package manager (PPM) now points to an obsolete page and the package manager will fail to update.

The repository has been moved to:

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... g-updates/

If anyone could give guidance on how to update the addresses in PPM so that a fresh install can be updated to the last available repositories that would be fantastic.

parishilton

#474 Post by parishilton »

Ok:

root/.packages/ and edit the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS file to:

PKG_DOCS_DISTRO_COMPAT="archive.ubuntu.com|http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... SION}-main archive.ubuntu.com|http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... }-universe archive.ubuntu.com|http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... multiverse"

Seems to do the job. Everything updates, but when you try to install something none of the files are located and you are prompted to update the repositories for PPM. So now I am definitely out of ideas :cry:

James186282

#475 Post by James186282 »

Obsolete? Waaaaaa. Late to the party but. I like the more current kernel idea. If Upup Raring is defunct what are we going to go to next?

I did a frugal install on a Gateway 831GM
I found an NVidia 7600 GS display card which I think is the 1st version of the hardware.
*Note I loaded your headers and compiled the driver for my system.
Amazingly it compiled without any serious issues?!?

I wanted to note that dual head (two monitors for giganto desktop) worked and obsolete or not I like this distro very much.

Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 2072MB (538MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Upup Raring - 3.9.9.2
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 13 Oct 2014 11:55:31 AM CDT

Display-
Resolution : 2880x2048 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : GeForce 7600 GS/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

VIDEO REPORT: Upup Raring, version 3.9.9.2
Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe
Drivers requested to be loaded: nvidia nvidia

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nvidia
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse ramdac

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 2880x2048 pixels (975x694 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

VIDEO REPORT: Upup Raring, version 3.9.9.2
Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G73 [GeForce 7600 GS] (rev a1)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe
Drivers requested to be loaded: nvidia nvidia

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nvidia
Loaded modules: dbe dri2 extmod fb glx kbd mouse ramdac

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 2880x2048 pixels (975x694 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

backi

#476 Post by backi »

Yes want to know if this project will still be continued .
One of my favorite .
I share your concerns about Pemasu. I find his end products to be superior and his quality control, unmatched.
Hope this project will continued .
Anybody out there hear me ?

Pemasu where are you ? Think your fans miss you .

augras

#477 Post by augras »

Hi,
parishilton wrote: Seems to do the job. Everything updates, but when you try to install something none of the files are located and you are prompted to update the repositories for PPM. So now I am definitely out of ideas :cry:
I found the same solution and post there http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 014a76a44e
And everything works but you must choose "old-releases.ubuntu.com" and not let by default "ftp.filearena.net" when the window for downloads comes.
It will be best if "old-releases.ubuntu.com" was by default but i didn't find, not really take time to do it !
Philippe

For this problem i found a better way and i made a .pet and now it works just with one clic, nothing to choose after when you have to download, just clic on "Downoad" :
raring/raring3.9.9.2-SCSI_repository_update.pet
Philippe[/url]
Attachments
capture_2015-05-25.jpg
With the .pet nothing to choose !
(25.43 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
capture_2014-10-18.png
(102.6 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
Last edited by augras on Mon 25 May 2015, 12:39, edited 3 times in total.

James186282

#478 Post by James186282 »

I tried to compile alsa from source (To get the old alsamixer back) and got really tangled up in compiler errors. Super frustrating when all I really wanted to do was compile one thing. I wish more people would write code that doesn't have all these endless dependances and monster make and configure files.

Anyway a late report that gnome-alsamixer deb file works perfectly for my semi weird motherboard so thanks!
pemasu wrote:
And...now I noticed that gnome-alsamixer which comes from ubuntu raring repo is broken. What I checked, several people using raring or raring based distros have noticed it.

I have used my gnome-alsamixer pet from squeeze. It produces complaints but does not seqfault like ubuntu raring version.
Here is the link for it if someone wants to play with it. Basically same things than Retrovol offers, but it sees both my audio chips and I can tick and untick that critical option to get my hdmi to work.

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/ma ... 2_i386.deb
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#479 Post by James186282 »

backi wrote:Yes want to know if this project will still be continued .
One of my favorite .
Hope this project will continued .
Anybody out there hear me ?

Pemasu where are you ? Think your fans miss you .
I hear you! I wasn't using this until (I think) the distro became abandonware. Which is too bad because I find this distro with the newer linux kernel has much more success with newer wifi (and other) devices. I seems to be pretty difficult to goof up. *Which I manage to do to most distros! I'm really enjoying running dual monitors and having a huge virtual screen behind the two heads. I really like the included stuff Pemasu added to this distro. It answers most of my needs.

Hopefully Pemasu hears this? I'm trying to get a better handle on compiling programs from source. I compiled one of the Distros from source so I'm telling myself this is how I can keep using this distro working for me in the future if I need new drivers added to the kernel. Which is probably a pipe dream because I'm still overwhelmed too easily.

- glad your out there! Stay in touch.

- James186282
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#480 Post by James186282 »

starhawk wrote:Closing the lid (suspend) has two issues for me right now. Issue One is that it makes shutting down impossible except via power button. I get "Puppy is now shutting down" and then I get a hashtag prompt. Issue Two is a bit more serious. I'm pretty sure the fact that my flash drive has corrupted files, is due to the fact that I left it mounted when I put my netbook into suspend.

Full install to ASUS 1000HEB with 2gb RAM and a 64gb SSD.
Try pressing the Ctrl Alt Backspace keys are the same time after you do your shutdown or restart from the Menu.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

James186282

#481 Post by James186282 »

James C wrote:.
I tried to use Puppy Package Manager to load conky but it seems not to be able to find it on any server. The same thing happens for most everything else I've tried (As of late) to download. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. *Which is sadly typical.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

augras

#482 Post by augras »

Hi James186282,
I think all you need is here. You can download the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 014a76a44e (just clear .jpg after download).
Philippe
parishilton wrote:Ok:

root/.packages/ and edit the DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS file to:

PKG_DOCS_DISTRO_COMPAT="archive.ubuntu.com|http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... SION}-main archive.ubuntu.com|http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... }-universe archive.ubuntu.com|http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/d ... multiverse"

Seems to do the job. Everything updates, but when you try to install something none of the files are located and you are prompted to update the repositories for PPM. So now I am definitely out of ideas :cry:
augras wrote:Hi,
parishilton wrote: Seems to do the job. Everything updates, but when you try to install something none of the files are located and you are prompted to update the repositories for PPM. So now I am definitely out of ideas :cry:
I found the same solution and post there http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 014a76a44e
And everything works but you must choose "old-releases.ubuntu.com" and not let by default "ftp.filearena.net" when the window for downloads comes.
It will be best if "old-releases.ubuntu.com" was by default but i didn't find, not really take time to do it !
Philippe
Now i made a .pet and only with one clic everything works fine :
raring3.9.9.2-SCSI_repository_update.pet
Last edited by augras on Sun 16 Feb 2020, 11:39, edited 2 times in total.

backi

#483 Post by backi »

Hi augras .
Tested your trick above could get access to the repos did an udate ......but after downloading could not install .Dont have further problems with Raring ,use it mostly .
This Repo problem is annoying .
I like that Raring Puppy much ...will it be further maintained ?

Good job Pemasu ...where are you ??
Cheers !!

augras

#484 Post by augras »

Hi,
it still works for me ! For repos update, download and install.
Did you choose "old-releases.ubuntu.com" and not let by default "ftp.filearena.net" in the window when ppm asks which url to use ?
Philippe

backi

#485 Post by backi »

There is nothing to choose .I will show you step bystep what happens .
1. I go to Puppy packetmanager
2.looking (example) for htop .....
3.click on it
4.(will be asked to ) install htop
5.click install
6. this happens (no URL s to choose ) .... image 3 appears
When trying to download to Lokal folder
.....not possible
Attachments
image-2.png
(51.59 KiB) Downloaded 1123 times
image-3.png