Xserver seems to crash

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rfxcasey

Xserver seems to crash

#1 Post by rfxcasey »

Installing on a P4 system using a Geforce 2 GTS card. After mouse selection I see a glimps of x server starting then the screen goes blank and that's all she wrote. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind figured it out. Had to hit alt+f1 or maybe it was ctrl I forgot. Doing that brought up the command prompt and I was able to run the x sever setup by typing xorgwizard at the command line. Configured for xorg server and working fine now.

Next I had a problem with the HDD I wanted to use. Had a previous ntfs partition on it and the Puppy Arcade installer was having a problem with that so I had to go into Gpart and delete it. I tried to leave 3GB for a swap partition but Gpart wasn't having any of that and refused to install a Linux-swap in that area. I ended up making the whole drive one big partition and then it worked fine.

After that the installer was complaining that the optical drive was unavailable. Apparently if you have the Pmount window open it screw with it. I had tried mounting and unmounting the optical drive but nothing worked or so it seemed until I killed Pmount.

Anyways working good now, bit of a royal pain but I've had worse. Funny but after toying with Linux on and off for 2 or 3 years, to think I actually learned enough to work through all this on my own is a bit startling to me.