Booting CD on IBM Thinkpad iseries 1300 1171 5XU

Booting, installing, newbie
mbuechner

Booting CD on IBM Thinkpad iseries 1300 1171 5XU

#1 Post by mbuechner »

I am using a IBM Thinkpad iseries 1300 1171 5XU and trying to boot puppy 1.0.8. I'm using 1.0.8 based on research from other forums saying the 1300 series supports it well. I've already burned the puppy 1.0.8 ISO onto the CD-R so that isn't the problem. I just am wondering how to boot the CD-R when the BIOS doesn't support it and Lenevo doesn't have an update for it, at least based on what I could find. The BIOS also doesn't support booting from a flash drive. I don't how to go any further, any help would be appreciated.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

This should help --> http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloa ... D=HT036814

Also, Puppy 1 is at least as old as dirt. That system's specs, according to ThinkWiki, should have no trouble with a 4-series Puppy or possibly even with a 5-series Wary Puppy. I'd see how Wary 55 runs on it, first, and then drop back to 432v3 (available on this forum, oddly enough in the Announcements section) if I didn't get satisfactory performance.

I will warn you that if you've still got the stock amount of RAM (64mb) you're going to have quite a time booting ANY Puppy. Fortunately, even on many laptops, RAM upgrades are easy. It's only a doozy when they've stuffed RAM in under the keyboard -- and even then, only if you're all thumbs ;)

mbuechner

Won't Save

#3 Post by mbuechner »

I'm following the steps listed in the link, but after I escape and select save it doesn't actually save for some reason. When It begins to reboot the setting remain the same. I don't get why this would occur?

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

dead bios battery perhaps?
is there not a boot select key for this machine maybe?

If you have a working windows have a look at the win32 installer or other methods to dual boot.

mike

mbuechner

#5 Post by mbuechner »

If you have a working windows have a look at the win32 installer or other methods to dual

Not sure what you're saying to do here

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 06&t=61404

a puppy installer that run as a windows program....there are prebuilt packages of recent releases around too

mike

mbuechner

Best OS

#7 Post by mbuechner »

Is there any other ISOs that would work well on this?

cthisbear

#8 Post by cthisbear »

To change the Boot Drive Sequence to recover the system software with a Recovery CD, follow the directions below.

Turn on the system.
About five seconds after turning on the system, when "Press F1 for IBM BIOS Setup Utility" is displayed on the left-bottom corner of the display, press F1.
Select "Startup Configuration" and press Enter.
Select CD-ROM in the 'Boot Drive Sequence:' section .
Move CD-ROM to the top in the 'Boot Drive Sequence:' section.

NOW AT this point can you SELECT >> F10
to save it instead.

Sometimes this just works.
And I suspect that you burnt it too fast.

It is 24 speed....burn it at 12 speed.
DVD is 4 speed...so 2 speed.

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/23p0894.pdf

Press Esc.
Press Esc again.
Select "Yes" in the pop-up message "Settings have been changed".
Do you want to save CMOS setting?" and press Enter. After this change, the system will always attempt to boot from the CD-ROM, if the bootable CD-ROM is in the CD-ROM drive.

Chris.

mbuechner

#9 Post by mbuechner »

I've already been able to get puppy to install I'm just wondering of other os I can use for this laptop