How to install cacti / mysql?

Using applications, configuring, problems
wirwav

How to install cacti / mysql?

#1 Post by wirwav »

Can anyone offer a guide (simple) so that I can install cacti to produce graphs using ntop.

I have spent 3 days installing and un-installing software, 1st Apache then something else, then something else is missing or there is no such file, then seems there are various opinions of how cacti should start, it is becoming a minefield.

Too many variants of Linux now making it too difficult to comprehend for the new user, too many different opinions.

Has anyone any experience on the process?

I have so far managed to get Ntop to work ok.

I have downloaded Cacti and ALL dependencies using the package manager.. And thats as far as I am at!

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

:oops: Oops..

wirwav

#3 Post by wirwav »

still no luck installing cacti

I have followed youtube videos and various instruction sets.

I have fully functioning XAMPP.

http://localhost/cacti says Object not found!

The requested url was not found on the server

So I have tried the unpack tar method and also a puppy package install ( that was pretty much useless as it told me virtually every dependency was misssing, when clearly it cant be if XAMPP is running!)

So where should CACti be unpacked? I am sure that the problem lies in missing paths to the appropriate directories..

mikeb

#4 Post by mikeb »

You need the cacti folder unpacking to your apache root....

This would normally be called htdocs ...in my case I find it buried in the opt folder where apache exists...you may have to search for it.

Unpacking would be an xarchive job or similar NOT the puppy installer.

Make sure you do have the php version of cacti and not the other one.

mike

wirwav

#5 Post by wirwav »

hi, yes finally I found a thread that said exactly that.

So about 2 hours ago I got it to work.

But really dont understand your last comment!

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

Quickest way to get an answer is to ask the question.... even if it comes from elsewhere.

My last comment was because the website appeared to offer some sort of binary build option...ie no apache needed.

well good you are now cooking on gas

regards

Mike

wirwav

#7 Post by wirwav »

Hi Mike.

Well I am pretty much done with Cacti, Xampp and Linux overall.

This is week seven and still problems.

What I thought worked ok last night, turned out to be a fluke.. Once out of the machine, I then experienced problems getting back in to cacti.

I have removed the user from phpMyAdmin half a dozen times and then re-entered.

I am using the default settings that are in the config.php file that is found in "include" folder

user = cactiuser
passsword = cactiuser

A couple of weird times I was able to go the next page to cacti setup... using admin/admin.

But even now that doesn't work.

Whilst I was in the admin area of cacti, I was able to clear up some path issues and missing snmp package.

All warning went green, except the one relating to php, I was never able to find the bin folder relating to that warning.

Any suggestions, any alternatives,, maybe try windows environment.

mikeb

#8 Post by mikeb »

Hmm the problem I had in puppy was getting mysql working ( a user/permissions problem ) but a recent attempt did work.
Indeed thats the area most prone to problems getting it going and I remember it being a similar headache to yours the first time.

In actual fact my original usage was on Slax 6 which went fairly smoothly. I also cheated and used the fasttrack setup from SugarCRM which was/is free for comunity/personel use...I just added my software to htdocs and made databases. I mention that as they also have a windows intaller too which worked out of the box as well though it runs 50% slower but that may not be an issue for you. The only catch is the use of their logins etc but was not a big problem.

bin in the php bin folder in apache at a guess

mike

wirwav

#9 Post by wirwav »

Hi Mike

Bah,,, almost given up... I remember the Lamp install as it went then was tiresome,, continued failures.. I abandoned and did a Xampp package,, and again after many failures, someone gave me a heads up on a Chown line was needed just before the unpack process.

Then Xampp went in ok...

Now Cacti is a headache, I am really begining to wonder if switching to linux was a good idea.

The problem is that I have a Dell thin client, new and out the box with just a 4GB SSD, so I am somewhat limited.

I also tried Slack and Precise, but again there were problems with WINE, and I have to use Mikrotik Dude in a win environment..

Unfortuantely with Precise and Slack pings were not working ( probally a user permission thing again) and hence Dude was useless as a monitoring program, especially if it was prohibited from pinging-.

So I just got an old PC out from under the bench and a redundant 40Gb drive and was taking a look at CatiEZ,,, but now I read conflicting comments regarding whether it does or doesn't have a 32 bit version.

Not having a good day!

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Hm no you are not.
For serious server/business use something other than puppy might be more suitable. Its a bit like choosing between windows ME or XP for a serious task.

Puppies cut down hacky nature does tend to upset the requirements of the type of software that your are needing for your project. I found this out when I was working on a project aimed at business users.

Another point is that cutting edge is not always the best way to go... you will find internet servers and enterprise tend to be using older distros and kernels as a solid base.

mike