Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 02:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
What's new with Windows 8?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 12:53    Post subject:  

ardvark wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:
windows 8 also requires you to have a M$ account to use it.

Do you mean to download games and other software? I don't recall this being a requirement just to use the OS. Question

Regards...

I think you at least have to get internet access once to get Win-8 to run on a machine. After that, the OS will work for a while between connections to the Internet. I don't know how long it will work for but it seems to be more than at least an hour or two.
bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 13:56    Post subject:  

http://www.toastytech.com wrote:
Touch screens do have their place. Such as small mobile devices, kiosks, and large presentation displays. (But I do get a kick watching news anchors trying to use those, the world gets to see their backsides while they fiddle with the touch controls!)

So, let's take a look at some of the "apps".

I should be able to start a simple calendar "app" and enter a few dates without Microsoft looking over my shoulder, right? Nope!

Every "app" wants you to connect to the internet and log in to Microsoft's "Microsoft Live" internet service.

No Microsoft internet service account? No internet connection? No app!

The only option these screens gives you is to "try again". Your only visible option is to stay stuck in a loop going back and forth between the two screens forever until you give in to the will of Microsoft.

Even ignoring that this is all advertising, it violates all kinds of user interface principals out the yingyang:

The "app" takes up the entire screen.
There is no visible way to close this application.
There is no visible way to cancel or return to the "start" page.
There is no visible way to do ANYTHING else!

In this case the system is not connected to the internet. This is because Windows 8 sends all kinds of information back to Microsoft.

At least ALT+F4 still works.

[img=]http://toastytech.com/guis/win8financesm.png[/img]

Underneath the hood Windows 8 is the same Windows NT that powered NT 3.x, NT 4, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7, and can run all standard Win32 programs written for these platforms.

Some people have complained that the desktop windowing theme looks boring and flat, but keep in mind Microsoft needs something to sell you in Windows 9.

Microsoft also removed the Classic theme.

What is old is new again.

One pleasant surprise is that there is still a 32-bit version and it can run 16-bit programs.

With the Windows 1.0 calendar, I don't have to connect to the internet to use it.

darrelljon

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 15:03    Post subject:  

Just used it for a few hours today and its very frustrating.
The default "Start screen" is like using a phone, offering some advantage for a touchscreen but who wants to use a touchscreen when you have a mouse and keyboard?
This also uses the corners of the screen to bring up settings etc.. Again not great for a keyboard and mouse, but it also uses right-click options! So is this designed for touchscreen or mouse?
Anyway, interaction aside, this could be usable if the tiles could be customised to your hearts content but for the priority given to Metro (Microsoft) apps (mostly from a Microsoft app store which requires a Microsoft account) and inability to customise non-metro apps even just resizing them.
Thankfully dropping to desktop is easy - just a click away, I wonder if Microsoft has a usability dept, they insisted on this, once they saw how unusable the start screen is.
At the desktop, there is no start menu (be thankful for open source download Classic Start Menu).
Again, the default programs use the ribbon interface, meaning rather than everything being on one row height, the buttons can be found anywhere.
Getting to settings, is truly a mess.
They have kept many legacy style settings dialog boxes.
Seriously grateful for proper desktops, thinking of switching back to puppy.
Here are the good things about traditional desktop interfaces.
Menus are in a list, not two columns or more.
Buttons are in a single row, not a ribbon.
tabs are used for new content windows, not more buttons.
Theming it seems to require a Microsoft account.

Windows 3.1 had clearer tiles and better display of multitasking.
It feels like the attempt at the end of the window paradigm, and the start of something worse.

Jakob Nielsen gets it right.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jakob+nielsen+windows+8
ardvark

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 17:25    Post subject:  

darrelljon wrote:
I hope not, that sounds ridiculous. Can I download apps from any website and run them on Windows 8?

Hi...

It depends on if the program is compatible with Windows 8. I have found a couple so far that aren't. Sad

Regards...

Last edited by ardvark on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 00:47; edited 1 time in total
ardvark

PostPosted: Sat 27 Jul 2013, 17:32    Post subject:  

bark_bark_bark wrote:
Touch screens do have their place. Such as small mobile devices, kiosks, and large presentation displays. (But I do get a kick watching news anchors trying to use those, the world gets to see their backsides while they fiddle with the touch controls!)

So, let's take a look at some of the "apps".

I should be able to start a simple calendar "app" and enter a few dates without Microsoft looking over my shoulder, right? Nope!

Every "app" wants you to connect to the internet and log in to Microsoft's "Microsoft Live" internet service.

No Microsoft internet service account? No internet connection? No app!

The only option these screens gives you is to "try again". Your only visible option is to stay stuck in a loop going back and forth between the two screens forever until you give in to the will of Microsoft.

Even ignoring that this is all advertising, it violates all kinds of user interface principals out the yingyang:

The "app" takes up the entire screen.
There is no visible way to close this application.
There is no visible way to cancel or return to the "start" page.
There is no visible way to do ANYTHING else!

In this case the system is not connected to the internet. This is because Windows 8 sends all kinds of information back to Microsoft.

At least ALT+F4 still works.

[img=]http://toastytech.com/guis/win8financesm.png[/img]

Underneath the hood Windows 8 is the same Windows NT that powered NT 3.x, NT 4, 2000, XP, Vista, and 7, and can run all standard Win32 programs written for these platforms.

Some people have complained that the desktop windowing theme looks boring and flat, but keep in mind Microsoft needs something to sell you in Windows 9.

Microsoft also removed the Classic theme.

What is old is new again.

One pleasant surprise is that there is still a 32-bit version and it can run 16-bit programs.

With the Windows 1.0 calendar, I don't have to connect to the internet to use it.

I think this has to do more with Microsoft's offerings rather than 3rd party software you would download or purchase on a CD. Thank you for showing this, though. I know you need to have a Microsoft account to download games and other software from Microsoft, I went through this with a customer. Sad

Regards...
darrelljon

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jul 2013, 14:18    Post subject:  

Also, never used Vista, 7 etc. so was open-minded but only just noticed how useless the desktop is now (built in redundancy to force you to use the start screen if you ask me).
The dock barely distinguishes between active apps and launchers.
You cannot move the dock to center align or vertically on the left side of the screen.
Really would have liked something like Vistas sidebar or linux's conky. But nope nothing.
All of which can be saved up for users prepared to shell out for Windows 9 (and drip fed then until they need a new paradigm to break everything back to basics). Now how far along is WINE compatibility. ...
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: