Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Sep 2014, 16:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Slacko-5.5.4G keep asking me the same config questions...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 2 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
benny7440

PostPosted: Sat 03 Aug 2013, 13:36    Post_subject:  

Thanks ally for replying!

I d/l the slacko iso file from ibiblio & after checking out coincidence of md5sums info I mounted it to extract the necessary files for booting it up. I was using PL 528.005 at the moment. Created a folder for slacko beside the rest of my puppies. Have to say that at the moment, in that partition there was not enough space for it, so I deleted some folders containing PL431, TinyCore, CorePlus & Wary512 for making room for it. When I checked it could contain it I inserted there the necessary files to boot & it worked ok.

After I decided to make a slackosave file (not at first run) it was to be at sda5 (ntfs) & not at sda2 (ext3). My decision at the moment responded to my desire of having a 1 GB savefile for this. It created it but, apparently, cannot find/read it at boot time. Then I decided to create, instead of moving that one to sda2, another one, smaller; and it fit at sda2. But the problem of persistency continues, all configuration settings are lost after each successive reboot.

I'm afraid I'm still using grub; a little afraid of upgrading to grub4dos after been trying to understand it for about 3 weeks (period terminated about 4-5 weeks ago). Issue not closed but just suspended until I regain some strength).

I do have both savefiles now, one at sda5 & the other at sda2. The latter is at the slacko folder. It's interesting that there's a "SAVEMARK" file at "home" with creation date 28 July, more or less the date when I installed the slacko OS. After issuing the command <file -m SAVEMARK> it gave me:

"SAVEMARK, 1: Warning type `' invalid
file: could not find any magic files!
"

I'm almost sure this was created by slacko savefile system but can't tell if at first trial or when I tried to creat the second smaller one at slacko folder.

Any ideas?

benny7440

PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2013, 14:01    Post_subject:  

I think that after extending my sda2 partition for making extra room for slacko to feel comfortable (the slackosave file already existed there) it started to "kernel panic". I'm about to delete everything in Slacko's folder, the '2' slackosave files I have & start anew by mounting the iso file, extracting the necessary files & boot it up & create within Slacko's folder the savefile.

But, before I do this, I'm thinking that I'm in the middle of something that implies a NEW partition scheme for my hdd & not very inclined to do it before I complete all the necessary moves & reformatting that apparently will be necessary.

I hope that in less than 48 hrs all that will be settled down without any regrets by my part.
benny7440

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2013, 10:06    Post_subject:  

OK, I've done the partiton things that I intended (not quite but close!).

I deleted all the Slacko files from sda2's root folder & started all over again. This time it worked well when, having more space there, I created the slackosave file right besides its location. I've a little problem though when I close the lid of the laptop the external screen goes black. The first time it happened I thought that the system went to either a shutdown or stanby sequence. Since I didn't know then what was happening I decided to press the shutdown button on top of the laptop for forcing it to shutdown or restart.

Today it happen again, but this time I noticed that there it was an amber led flashing at the power button on top of the laptop. I pressed 'for an instant' this button & the screen was back.

What I want to know is how to deactivate this behaviour? If I close the lid I want the computer to do nothing as a consequence of my decission.

Thanks for any help on this!

PS. I probably will experience other things with slacko after I use it more frequently but for the moment I think it's a good OS.
benny7440

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 17:28    Post_subject:  

As I was waiting for, issues started to arise. At least, I remembered how to activate the feature of Auto-Hiding the toolbar.

Still, I see the 2nd icon at the toolbar (looking from the clock to the left) getting crossed once, twice & up to 6 different slices; the red graph sometimes cover a lot of the vertical space there, too. I never understood how to interprete the horizontal lines there...

Access to the hdd interrupts almost everything I'm doing, at times it takes so long that I go to prepare myself a cup of coffee, return to the laptop & it still keeps going, finish drinking the coffee, go to the kitchen, wash the cup, go to the bathroom &, when I'm back it still is accessing the hdd. Talking here about 8 mins.; HDD = ~120 GB, no partition here is above 60 GB.

I'm running FF 19.0, the one that came with Slacko. The same thing, though, happens to me when I'm running PL5.28.005 & Seamonkey (not necessarily updated). The previous browser that I had there (FF 14.*) never gave me any of these issues. Up to this moment I always managed very well with 64 MB for the browsers' cache; now I've augmented it to 80 MB on both but I don't see any change.

Is this something that is related to the browsers, the sites, my installations configs or something else?

Thanks in advance!

PS. I almost forget about an issue that's important to me, with Slacko I've noticed that the screen on the laptop is ALWAYS ON even though I'm using an external monitor & can't close the lid because both screens go black instantly. On all other distros that I've used here either I can close the lid without the external monitor going black if the laptop screen is lighted or the latter is simply black from the beginning. Any ideas as to how to tweak this feature?
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 16 Aug 2013, 17:46    Post_subject:  

Hey Benny- if you're gonna futz, drop 554 and grab the latest >> 561.

Am I correct in assuming you still have a frugal install of 528, the one that works so well?

On 528- run a Pfind *system* search for firefox >> goto 'list' >> 'export to text editor' and c/p here.
benny7440

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 09:20    Post_subject:  

Thank you for replying, Semme!

I will download the last Slacko version & substitute that for the present one. Before making any changes I need to know if I need to rename/delete the slackosave file(s) already created?

I still have PL528005 & indeed, works very well.

Below, I'm including what you requested:

Code:
/etc/profile.d/firefox
/usr/bin/run_firefox
/usr/share/applications/firefox-web-browser.desktop
/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox48.png
/var/local/icons/firefox48
/var/local/icons/firefox48.png

In case it's of any extra hellp for you I'm also including a snaphot of the Pfind window.

Edit: Which Slacko I should download, the PAE one or the other? <<---See my signature...
image-1.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  image-1.png 
Filesize  44.13 KB 
Downloaded  140 Time(s) 

Semme

PostPosted: Sat 17 Aug 2013, 18:31    Post_subject:  

Benny- PAE depends upon processor support and physical ram. Not enough ram and it won't matter- either will do.
Code:
grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo

And as long as you have the room, name the new one 'current' and leave the others alone.

==

Now those names in your 528 FF file list appear to be dated. I asked because you said you were having trouble.. May I suggest wiping FF from the system and reinstalling a fresh build, all of which I'll help you sort once given the go ahead.

No pressure.. You can tell me when you're ready and I'll try'n make it as painless as possible, OK.

==

PS- Do me a favor and run this again, searching *personal files* instead.

If your FF folder isn't here, then where is it.. in /mnt/home?
benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 11:09    Post_subject:  

Even though you didn't tell me to do it, I ran that 'code' in your last post, it's output follows:

sh-4.1# grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm tpr_shadow
sh-4.1#

I d/l the NON-PAE one, extracted the same folders as I previously had & at the first trial I received a 'file not found' error. I'll now scan the menu.lst file section for Slacko to see if I pick up something. Yes, I found out that the folder for the necessary files to boot were named with a small 's' but at the menu.lst file I was making reference to it with a capital 'S'; so I changed it & need now to test again.

I don't know if it has been made clear before but I was using with PL528 FF14.*, tried to upgrade to FF22 but something strange passed & I remembered that somewhere I had a Seamonkey pet & installed it (version 2.2). It's working a little slow & sometimes I perceive an 'arpeggio' of three notes (maybe C - F - E) that I beleive comes from it but don't know what's the purpose of it, apart from calling my attention to 'something'... The hdd usage/access has increased to a point that the system at some points becomes unusable, which I beleive is due to the browser.

Instead of C/P the output of the re-ran command I'm attaching a screenshot because it has all the info there clearly displayed (probably more useful this way).

BTW, when the moment for installing a newer FF version comes, is it advisable to uninstall Seamonkey FIRST? What can I do, if anything, to keep my PRESENT bookmarks & browsing HISTORY for using with the next browser?

Thanks for all!
semme_firefox.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  semme_firefox.png 
Filesize  48.34 KB 
Downloaded  143 Time(s) 
benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 15:13    Post_subject:  

I booted up but to a shell, only. There was also a message stating that the sfs file wasn't found, but I checked & it's there. Maybe it's mispelled but in this case it's a bug because I clicked & dragged for doing this.

Can you check if you have Slacko there installed, what the sfs file's name really is?

Thanks!

Semme

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 15:16    Post_subject:  

I'm not looking to help with Slacko @ the moment, rather, help straighten out Lucid's browser situation.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 15:57    Post_subject:  

Benny- are you running Grub or Grub4DOS? Ah..
Quote:
I'm afraid I'm still using grub; a little afraid of upgrading to grub4dos after trying to understand it for about 3 weeks..

Maybe stop trying to understand and throw yourself right into it? I've found it both intuitive and straightforward.

And yeah, I see you've had some help >> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78138
benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 16:26    Post_subject:  

OK Semme, you won me already!

What do I've to do, go to Menu>Setup>Grub4Dos bootloader config & click? Is this as simple as this?
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 16:32    Post_subject:  

Laughing Warning! I *am NOT* a Grub4DOS expert, but.. Let's see a quick: fdisk -l dump and tell me who's where..

As a matter of fact, open G4D >> click 'show pbs' >> hit OK >> grab yourself a screenshot >> then cancel.
benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 17:04    Post_subject:  

The command gave me the following:

sh-4.1# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 7650 61440992+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 13578 14594 8158208 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 7650 12749 40960000 5 Extended
/dev/sda4 12749 13578 6661120 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda5 7650 12749 40958976 7 HPFS/NTFS

Partition table entries are not in disk order
sh-4.1#

The screenshot is included below, too.
image-2.png
 Description   
 Filesize   47.63 KB
 Viewed   151 Time(s)

image-2.png

Semme

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 17:23    Post_subject:  

That NTFS partition's not bootable, is it? sda1's lookin prime..
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 2 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum