Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 26 Nov 2014, 16:21
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Slacko-5.5.4G keep asking me the same config questions...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 17:36    Post_subject:  

Since I'm not completely sure that I understood your statement I'm sending you what I beleive will disperse the smog.
image-3.png
 Description   
 Filesize   47.71 KB
 Viewed   318 Time(s)

image-3.png

Semme

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:13    Post_subject:  

I'm asking if there's a Windows OS on sda5? Answer and we're set!
benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:21    Post_subject:  

Sorry for my mis-interpretation, Semme. I haven't had a machine with a Microsoft OS since 2005-6. This machine's HDD came from another HP laptop that was running XP, I think.

I beleive there's nothing in here from that epoch, in any partition.
Semme

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 18:31    Post_subject:  

Good- me neither!

=

Now, here's the deal..

You're gonna open G4D, hit 'show pbs' and leave those three boxes unticked.

After doing this you shouldn't have to do anything more as the MBR remains selected.

This is where you want G4D to install it's bootloader.

All that's left is to hit OK TWICE- the second coming @ my final screenshot.

Follow the prompts to finish and reboot when directed.

If everything goes as planned, you should be able to boot into any of the systems from the other page.

Just4U Razz I'll keep my fingers crossed..
g4d_win1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45 KB
 Viewed   230 Time(s)

g4d_win1.jpg

g4d_win2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   23.23 KB
 Viewed   223 Time(s)

g4d_win2.jpg

benny7440

PostPosted: Sun 18 Aug 2013, 19:18    Post_subject:  

OK, it's done!

I had the log opened with Nicoedit but lost it because it showed me it was at /root/tmp but it wasn't after I closed Nicoedit. Maybe I needed to save it first because what I saw was not the source location but the INTENDED location...

Rebooting now, Will try some of them (maybe 3 at most). Curious that it left out (not recognized) DSL. It was booting up, although not connecting to the web, yet.

Edit: Incredibly, this bootloader even booted up OSs that I don't have!!! GREAT.
Semme

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 07:35    Post_subject:  

Well, good to hear it works. Now what's this tell ya.. that you could probably free-up your entire extended partition?
Quote:
This bootloader even booted up OSs that I don't have!

From which pup are you running GParted here.. the same one used for your current partitioning scheme?

Which frugal do you find most usable, the one you spend the most time in?
benny7440

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 14:51    Post_subject:  

At a previous post I mentioned 'modem' but in relation to my "broadband modem".

I would like to manage ALL of my partitions at will but before doing this repartitioning I had trouble because there's a limit of 4 primary partitions; that's why I ended up with such a huge partition #1. I'll try later to manage them in such a way that I can do other things as well.

I was running GParted under PL5.28.005. Most of the time I use my default OS, in grub it was PL5.28.005 &, for the moment it's still the same one but I'll gradually switch to Slacko.

About >1.8 yrs ago I started to use PL528 then, about >1.5 yrs ago I d/l the gcc package for using it trying to learn a little of C. At Feb -> Mar of 2012 I deleted something that rendered my desktop BLACK without any icons &, also, some apps stopped running; then, after a little over a month I upgraded to my current version & have been using it since then.

PS. Lately, after the FF issue & resorting to use Seamonkey 2.2 I've been suffering of an ever more persistent HDD led = ACTIVE, if you know what I mean. This's bothering so much that today, after having started Seamonkey for more than 6 hrs I just managed to read only 6 emails, had to bookmark 2 sites & spend the rest of the time trying to reveal the cause of this. At the end I decided to re-start Seamonkey with all the add0ns disabled; that's the reason I'm able to post now this to you. It could have been earlier but due to an approaching thunderstorm my internet connection went down right after rebooting the browser.
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 20:05    Post_subject:  

Benny- do you have a spare flash drive handy.. something we could store a few key files on?

431, Studio, Wary.. you still boot into these relics? 528 *IS* your GO-2-GUY, right?

What makes you think Slacko can take it's place as far as usability?

Look, I feel your pain- I wanna Wink help..
benny7440

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 14:52    Post_subject:  

Until last week I saw that browsing the Internet was getting to the point that it was a prohibited action by my part while working with Seamonkey under PL5.28.005 so I started to use Slacko & it compared very favorable, newer & different browser.

I started to have some LAN Internet conn. problems & today I remembered these seemingly interminable accesses to the hdd & decided to continue using Slacko but it has started to do the same thing. Here I'm not using Seamonkey but FF 17.0.8.

I've read about a recent malware (can't remember the name but it's made specifically for Linux users. Its' purpose is to steal PWDs in connection to bank accts. & so forth. Could it be that or pointing the finger to prism recent deeds is more probable?

PS. I thought of Slacko as a replacement for PL528 but it could become a best brother, instead!

In relation to that spare/auxilliary memory, how big it needs to be?

In relation to those other OSs, I use them as a kind of Emergency OS if something happens to my regular one; I must confess that PL431, been one of my first Linux OS is regarded as Special. As for the others, I've used them sparingly although Studio has been looked for for A REALLY LONG TIME! I think I was lucky enough that managed to find it & hope I can obtain (this year) an upgrade/enhancement for it. The author had a kind of misunderstanding with others &, probably vengefully, deleted much of the material uploaded...
Semme

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 20:53    Post_subject:  

Since I'm having a hard time putting into context what you've said, what is it you'd like out of a fresh start?

What items have you become accustomed to that you'd like to carry over?

And yeah- I get it. You want two on tap.. Slacko and PL528.

==

Tip! >> If your current partitioning scheme came @ the hands of 528's GParted- STICK WITH IT!

Mix'n match between versions is just asking for trouble..
benny7440

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 20:19    Post_subject:  

For the ordinary things I just need/want a recent browser that runs well with PL528 and, probably, with Slacko, too. The other distros are not meant for daily/common chores.

BTW, with any other puppy that I've tried so far, if I close the lid of the VAIO it turns it off but with Slacko it turns both off (also the external monitor). Do you know if and how I can disable this feature?

I want to use power only at one monitor and that's the one that functions = the external one.

PS. That constant & lengthy accesses to the hdd tonight is, mostly, missing due to a Tab that I didn't opened = WQXR (radio station). At the same time I'm hearing another web station through pupRadio; a little strange!
Semme

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 20:46    Post_subject:  

Do the sites you frequent most require JavaScript and/or Flash?

Have you ever surfed Opera?

I've heard mention of the lid thingy.. nothing offhand.

This WQXR.. NY classical, right?

How'd you like to listen without a browser?
benny7440

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 22:20    Post_subject:  

I guess that the answer to your first question is yes. The list of my daily sites are as follows:
    WQXR
    Yahoomail
    MyYahoo
    This forum (sometimes more than one page)
    Some other forum or long-page/tutorial/else

All those are merely Tabs in my browser.

I've used Opera in the past for a short period of time; I didn't like it much but have to recognize that it works.

You're right, that same station at NY.

With respect to listening without a browser, specially for this kind of sites, is not very good. My point here is that at the web-stations' sites there're usually some links that are useful and relevant that you miss completely if you use a simple web-radiio player. But you can find with the browser the addrs & insert it at the player & you're done. Just a few more seconds & clicks! Think that it's something that one can get used to, with time.
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 04:32    Post_subject:  

So it looks like Firefox stays? How'bout we load a fresh copy onto 528?

This'll help manage active content >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/js-switch/

As for playing WQXR in your browser- doesn't it eat lots of cpu?

There's surfing and there's listening..

When it's only listening you want, wouldn't it be nice to surf without that memory hit?
benny7440

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2013, 11:58    Post_subject:  

If you use FF, what version do you sugget? I'm asking because with the previous version I used for many-many months I never had an issue of any kind (FF 14.?). I don't know how much diference there is from that one to FF 22, which was the one I upgraded to about 2 months ago but think there's an important and congruent diference with my issue. Somewhere from 14.? to 23.? there must be one at least that doesn't produce that behaviour. Another thing is, should I choose from an already prepared PET file or is it OK if I d/l from Mozilla directly?

That thing you mentioned about memory "picnic" in relation to JS/Flash is something I never noticed, maybe because I didn't know what/where to look for.

For the time been I'm listening to that same station but with the help of PupRadio.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum