Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
starhawk

#461 Post by starhawk »

It is a wifi card, it just uses CardBus instead of USB.

Sorry for the confusion.

starhawk

#462 Post by starhawk »

Well, since april seems to have gotten confused enough to fly the coop -- anyone else up for helping me out...?

solo

#463 Post by solo »

I've got a flashdrive frugal install of Puppy Precise 5.7.1

What happens is that very often, when I click on the flash drive icon on my desktop, I get this error message:

Code: Select all

Arguments (usbdrv vfat) given for non-executable item /root/.pup_event/drive_sdb1
And it refuses to open a ROX filer window.

I can still access the content of my flash drive outside of the savefile by opening a ROX window and navigating to it through /mnt/home/, but it is a real hassle, because I save all my work and all downloads outside the savefile.

The only way to make the drive icon behave normally again is a reboot.

So my questions are, does anybody know what is going on, and is there perhaps an easy way to fix it?

starhawk

#464 Post by starhawk »

At this point I would consider these Pups essentially unsupported.

jeff757

atheros wireless

#465 Post by jeff757 »

starhawk,
I finally got Mom's laptop to boot Precise 5.7.1 Retro after battling with modesetting with VIA chipset,had to use Vesa couldn't get Openchrome to work.
lspci -nn yielded 00:06.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5005G(S) 802.11bg] [168c:001a] (rev 01). The processor is a Celeron M 390 1.7GHz. Barry's SNS worked first time.
I have a copy of DOTconfig-3.2.48 I downloaded 1 or 2 years ago. Barry's sources are no longer available from puppylinux.com and I don't know how to add login credentials at archive.org. It is 104Kb in size if you want it (I forgot forum size limits and don't know where to find them).

Jeff

starhawk

#466 Post by starhawk »

Openchrome after about Precise 543 will not work with at least the VIA VX855 chipset -- if your laptop has that chipset, you should roll back to that version (Precise NOP and X-Precise 2.4 in particular are known good configurations).

You should also consider at least following along at https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=91966 where I am working with the openchrome folks, in particular a newcomer-turned-dev named Kevin Brace who has been a godsend. If you have that specific chipset (VX855) *and* you know how to compile, you should strongly consider joining in actively. (If you're not sure what chipset you have, post the system make & model, and I will find out for you.)

I will note that I've been entirely unsuccessful with getting VESA to work on my hardware with the VX855 chipset.

I would be interested in your DOTconfig, whatever that is -- can you tell me where in the filesystem it goes, when you upload it? Maximum filesize here is 256k so it should be alright, just gzip it (gzip whatever.yah [ENTER] in Terminal) before you upload so that the forum doesn't give you crap.

Also -- this is a very low priority for me right now so it may be a day or two before I get to it. Hope you don't mind...

april

#467 Post by april »

starhawk wrote:Well, since april seems to have gotten confused enough to fly the coop -- anyone else up for helping me out...?
No just not a "Forum Sitter "
So Your card will need a good driver so my post is pertinent . You just need someone to confirm the driver you are using works or does not work with that card Yeh?

april

#468 Post by april »

solo wrote:I've got a flashdrive frugal install of Puppy Precise 5.7.1

What happens is that very often, when I click on the flash drive icon on my desktop, I get this error message:

Code: Select all

Arguments (usbdrv vfat) given for non-executable item /root/.pup_event/drive_sdb1
And it refuses to open a ROX filer window.

I can still access the content of my flash drive outside of the savefile by opening a ROX window and navigating to it through /mnt/home/, but it is a real hassle, because I save all my work and all downloads outside the savefile.

The only way to make the drive icon behave normally again is a reboot.

So my questions are, does anybody know what is going on, and is there perhaps an easy way to fix it?

I don't really understand whats happening and don't have time to delve into it .
You probably are doing this but for those that do not know how to save without filling the savefile.

If you have a hard drive on your machine?

My method is to create a "TempDownload" file on the hard drive. Use the top left icon and then the up arrow in it to get right back to the real root directory. Point all the downloads there . Movies Torrents Music etc then I clean it out to where I want each individual file later.

april

#469 Post by april »

starhawk wrote:I will note, for now, that it feels kind of like the thing can't raise the cards to begin with -- I've yet to get one to work for even a split second with this Pup, and when I type ifconfig wlan0 up in a Terminal window, it doesn't give me anything but a new prompt. No error appears -- but no success message, either, which is a little unusual for that command. Typing ifconfig wlan0 down does give a confirmation of success, however.
So what you are saying is " the card is not being recognised by the system" and that is a classic driver needed problem. Find out what driver is needed by the card . Get it , install it and if there already you must give it a new name. Then blacklist the old module of the same name as it does not work

Also "ifconfig wlan0 up" does not give me any return either
but "ifconfig wlan0" does

I don't agree with your byline either it is pretentious and glaring and an eyesore but each to their own ., I say an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth . Actually my theory is you take one from me I take 10 from you and it works to achieve what laws cannot . A deterrent to people doing the wrong thing by others . I see nothing wrong with cutting off a hand if you are definitely a thief. That is if you admit to thieving then a hand goes first , If you do it again a hand and a foot go next and if you do it a third time then you should be executed. Mind you not just if the offense is proven because that is so corrupted these days . The crimes must be admitted beyond all doubt
Last edited by april on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#470 Post by starhawk »

The card IS recognized, the driver IS assigned -- both correctly -- but the card will not actually function as anything but an electronic bay-filler and battery-waster. There is a certain amount of initializing that must be done before a WiFi card can be used. It is that initializing process that I am referring to as "raising" or "bringing up" the card -- the procedure that must be done by the computer to make the card able to actually detect and connect to a network.

"ifconfig wlan0 up" does not work. Frisbee, SNS, Dougal's, all report "wlan0 down" -- instead of "wlan0 up" as they should say -- at the point that this initialization is supposed to occur.

april

#471 Post by april »

starhawk wrote:The card IS recognized, the driver IS assigned -- both correctly -- but the card will not actually function as anything but an electronic bay-filler and battery-waster. There is a certain amount of initializing that must be done before a WiFi card can be used. It is that initializing process that I am referring to as "raising" or "bringing up" the card -- the procedure that must be done by the computer to make the card able to actually detect and connect to a network.

"ifconfig wlan0 up" does not work. Frisbee, SNS, Dougal's, all report "wlan0 down" -- instead of "wlan0 up" as they should say -- at the point that this initialization is supposed to occur.
I assume this D-Link DWL-650 cardbus connects to another modem which is attached to a phone line or something like that , does it ?
OK as I said above drop the "UP"and see what you get.Post it here
If your card is definitely recognised then in the internet connection wizard setup you must first scan to find a network.Use SNS at this stage. If you find one ,you have the option to save that. Do so ,then choose "use this configuration" . That sets up the modem (card).

Now choose the DHCP option so that it is allocated all the necessaries and if you are lucky you should now be correctly connected .

Follow the above precisely. because Puppy seems to be a bit confusing on this but once you get it it is easy thereafter.

Tell me then exactly where it goes wrong for you if it indeed does go wrong we are gradually narrowing the problem.

It might also be worth starting puppy with the "puppy fix=ram" option so no savefile or extra downloaded programs are messing it up.

My wiFi adapter was so recognised , but no amount of coaxing would get it to connect .iI was a bad driver causing the problem because they changed the driver but gave it the same name as the old . That was where I came in above.

starhawk

#472 Post by starhawk »

What happens is that the card isn't configured properly and I get no connection. The system (usually) reports a successful connection but is lying 100% of the time. If you can't activate/raise an interface, it's not going to be useful!

The card is hooked through airwaves to a 4g cellular modem/router. It's not a wireless hotspot, but a real home router with a 4g modem instead of (for example) a cable modem in there.

...I suspect that something in the background crashes instantly but silently upon attempted connection, because with Frisbee, it will at least DETECT a network and the two blinky LEDs on the card do their thing. But when I try to connect -- they go to a steady, repeated flashing, both LEDs, in the sort of pattern one would expect of an error notification.

That said, that is a *guess* and should be treated as such.

8Geee

#473 Post by 8Geee »

starhawk...
In Network wizard, did you install the driver by clicking the box? Use the wlan side of the connection? (highlighting it)
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

starhawk

#474 Post by starhawk »

The card was recognized automatically and a driver was assigned in the same manner.

At this time, I don't think that's the issue.

Mike Walsh

#475 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hiya, starhawk.

I've only been reading the last few pages of this, but just FYI.....

I'm in Precise 571 at the moment, on the old Dell lappie. I'm hooked up to the home network's router via a NetGear RangeMax WPN511 PCMCIA Cardbus wifi adapter. I connect via Barry's SNS, and it uses the 'ath5k' kernel driver module that seems to have been there like forever... It, too, has a pair of 'blinky' LEDs; one blinks slowly at power-up, both alternate slowly during handshake, and both blink together after connection, speeding up or slowing down according to network traffic.

This thing's so easy to use I can unplug it in the middle of a session, take piccies like I just have done, plug it back in & re-connect with no problems!

Wish I could say the same for then trying to read the pictures from the damn phone..! I have an old Nokia Asha 210 (hate smartphones); if I hook it up via a micro-USB cable and try to sync it so I can view the pictures, it throws the 'i915.modeset=0' kernel line workaround for the 'Brookedale' Intel Extreme graphics card right out the window... Reboot and start all over again!

Either that or boot into XP to get the pictures off the phone that way...

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
Photo0044.jpg
(39.76 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Photo0045.jpg
(31.23 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

starhawk

#476 Post by starhawk »

I guess you're just luckier than I am :P out of curiosity, what's the make & model of your Dell...?

--off topic, below, but (mostly) helpful, I think--

As for the phone -- quick look makes it sound like it takes MicroSD cards. You do know you can use those with a full-size adapter and card reader, bypassing the cable dance and going straight to the goodness, right? In fact, I have a card reader I got off eBay for us$3.25 -- nasty quality, but it does function, and it has a separate slot just for MicroSD -- a handy, thoughtful feature for when one just can't chase down that danged adapter!

I've never been one for messing with cables -- I've always done the card dance instead, even with my camera... Kodak EasyShare M753. It's a point-and-shoot pile of you-know-what, but given my skills at using it, there's significant justification for me not having anything better ;)

For the record, my current phone is a Pantech Impact (Pantech P7000) -- has a flip-out keyboard for texting (night and day vs a standard keypad, and a welcome change at that!) but not bright enough to be a smartphone. Sort of like yours, except with more hinges ;) I'm trying to move into a Samsung Galaxy S3, but it's going slowly because I have to sell one to buy one. The only one I could get easily is a Verizon model, and I'm on AT&T. So I'm selling the Verizon one to pay for an AT&T model... wish me luck, I'm no salesman!

april

#477 Post by april »

OK I am pretty sure that on checking you will find the driver for your card will have also been changed or updated in some way and thats what you need . The updated driver.

Its firstly a matter of finding the right one either on their web site or a disk that came with it . Then, like me ,you have to find someone who will compile that new driver for the kernel version used by Precise 5.7.1 which is 2.9.11 .

Perhaps a PM to rscn51 or Pemasu might help and they or others might advise you further. Perhaps you can use the Puppy facility to use the windows driver but I have no experience with that.

I also do not understand your modem setup "4g cellular modem/router." but I assume the card is supposed to connect to it and issue an IP and DNS details back to your machine but you do not seem to be interested in giving me the detail of that returned data or indeed even a copy of the return text from " ifconfig wlan0" so I can't help . You insist on saying that is what the problem is .

Then you say " just a guess" so I can't help/work without details
Last edited by april on Sun 13 Mar 2016, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

april

#478 Post by april »

Mike Walsh- Off subject Mike but do you run tahpup on the same machine or a 64 bit job?

Mike Walsh

#479 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, starhawk.

Blimey, you can't have forgotten that humungous thread about Puppy breathing new life back into the old Dell, surely? Back in November, year before last, IIRC. "Resurrection", it was called.....

Perhaps I was just lucky with the RangeMax, but I did do a wee bit of research before buying it. I wanted a 'period' adapter, from the same era as the old girl.....and I researched for manufacturers who had made CardBus adapters. NetGear were frequently mentioned, and TBH, I'd only ever heard good things about them.....nowt bad, at all. And the RangeMax series were particularly recommended in the reviews I'd read, so.....in for a penny, in for a pound.

Had a trawl through Fleabay, and found several people flogging RangeMaxes still in the original packaging, and still sealed in their cellophane wrapping. Around the £6-7 mark ($10-12?) Couldn't sneeze at that, so I ordered one. Worked hassle-free, from the word 'go'. Didn't need the supplied Windows driver mini-CD, did I? Nossir!

Okay, so it's only b/g standard, not b/g/n like my previous TP-Link, but given that our new ISP, as well as being cheaper, is also providing somewhat lower bandwidth, it's not noticeable at all. Well within it's capabilities. It'll still stream the necessary 'music while you work'.....that's the main thing!

Mike. :wink:

starhawk

#480 Post by starhawk »

@ Mike -- that thread was rather premature, as I believe I've stated recently when IIRC Pelo dug it back up out of the graveyard. I have tried three or four cards (I actually want to say four), at least one of which used the ancient 'prism2' driver. I get a zero percent success rate across all cards. There is something to do with the CardBus interface that's gone south, here, rather than anything with any particular card.

@ april --

The card is being recognized automatically. I've verified on my own that the correct driver is being assigned, and the idea that the driver could change during use is something I quite honestly find a little preposterous.

Requesting IP address and DNS details for a connection so ephemeral that it never gets to the point where those are installed --and given that I've clearly stated that as such -- as well as wondering aloud what a "4g cellular modem/router" is... well... that kind of brings me to the rest of this post.

Dude, I can tell that you mean well, and I'm really, genuinely, honestly thankful that there's *someone* on here who is actually trying to help me with this -- but I don't think you can really do what you're trying to. I appreciate your efforts -- really, I do -- but quite frankly, you're sorely lacking in the basic fundamental knowledge and concepts needed to actually provide meaningful assistance.

If you've never heard of 4g cellular being used to transmit or receive data rather than just voice or perhaps text messages --or worse yet, if you've never heard the term '4g cellular' in the first place-- I'm honestly not sure what to say... that in this day and age is phenomenally common knowledge almost to the point of being 'duh' material -- it's how you get The Google on your smartphone or what-have-you. That, and I've had to explain to you, rather patiently, in what I'd honestly consider explain-like-I'm-five language what kind of connecting equipment I'm using, despite it being only barely out of date. I honestly feel, at this point, kind of like I'm talking about this stuff with a Martian on its first trip to Earth.

I want you to understand, that I'm not trying to tell you off -- I rather think I owe you one, later on, if you ever hit a snag that I can help with (seriously, if you do, PM me) -- it's just that the effect of your attempts to render assistance are more frustrating than they are actually helpful. I know how that feels, having been there myself, and it's always a downer -- but it's where we are, and I think it's important to be honest about that.

If you are interested in this sort of stuff, you might see if there's an A+ Certification course you can take near you. That's where I started, formally, way back in 2003-2004, in my senior year of high school. It was, as I recall, an early effort at what we now call "AP courses" but under a different name which I've long since forgotten... sounded IIRC like the last names of whoever sponsored the bill, before it was law, that made it all happen.

I still have the rather sizable tome that was the textbook for that course. A Mike Meyers (no relation to the actor with the same name) wrote it, and it's thick enough to be a doorstop for a bank vault ;) being something like 1500+ pages long -- but it has served me quite well for the time I've had it. Mine is I think a 4th Edition; he's still putting them out, though, and climbed all the way up to 9th Ed now...

@ both of you --

For now, at least, I'm going to set this issue, and its associated system, aside for a while and meditate on it... maybe I'll figure it out, maybe I won't. Maybe I'll just give up. As it is, the system really can't achieve what I want to do with it, anymore... so there's not much point in continuing, anyways. Time and progress both have left this machine tottering along in the dust... honestly, I may very well recycle the dang thing, or sell it on eBay for a few bucks. I dunno.

One thing is clear, though, and that is that proceeding here will simply not be productive in any real, meaningful way.