Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
april

#421 Post by april »

april wrote:OK So what Puppy releases are 64 bit and where do I get them if there are any?

When you make short sharp answers like this you usually confuse the asker , as you have done here . Could you elaborate a bit more if you know what you are talking about and help us poor lowly users ?
368 posts and you can't supply an answer ?

technosaurus

#422 Post by technosaurus »

No official 64 bit puppies, but I would expect puppy to skip x86_64 and use the newer x32 (same speed and instruction capability, but uses 32 bit pointers ) But you can try fatdog64 for now.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

duckguy

GetFlash Install Flashplayer Utility Inoperative New Install

#423 Post by duckguy »

I have set up and have a working online connection, but the installer has no connection with it.

I successfully installed Adobe flash from the Adobe website into the Opera browser after many attempts. I am not having any luck with the Firefox browser, and I am now trying to get it working with the Seamonkey browser.

In any case, I am certain that you want to know that the Flash utility installer is not operating.

Hope this helped. The system works great though, and I really appreciate having the benefit of your hard work. Thanks so very much!
Attachments
connection_2015-11-01_052240.png
Here is a view of the pink/red warning box that appears when attempting to run the 'GetFlash' utility.
(15.6 KiB) Downloaded 873 times

Makoto

#424 Post by Makoto »

Which version of GetFlash are you using? Adobe's changed their server setups for downloading Flash a few times.

The latest versions of GetFlash can be found in this topic, 1.5.6 at the beginning, and a 1.5.7 version at the end. I couldn't say which would work better for you, though, as I'm on an older version of Puppy. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

duckguy

RE: GetFlash Install Flashplayer Utility Inoperative New

#425 Post by duckguy »

Makoto wrote:... version of GetFlash are you using? Adobe's changed their server setups for downloading Flash a few times. ...
I had an older version. I followed the link to the other part of this forum that you posted, I was able to download the updated 'pet' file, but I couldn't run it.

Instead I went to the PPM (Puppy Package Manager) and went through the update process with it, which only took a few minutes. Then I rebooted, loaded the updated PPM, and searched the PPM database for the GetFlash utility. The PPM told me I had an older version installed than its database did. So, it was easy from there to install the update, which worked right away.

I ran the updated GetFlash successfully. I still have to work with my browsers to see if the updated Flashplayer has completely integrated properly. Since, I first used the Adobe website to update my system, and it didn't integrate into every application.

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I am now getting online warnings that my Flashplayer is outdated, although there is still some functionality. Also I just got a pop-up from an Adobe logoed script that the Flashplayer has been "deactivated." Look at the screen shots.
Attachments
xGetFlashPlayer_2015-11-04_065935.png
(16.88 KiB) Downloaded 820 times
xGetFlashPlayer_2015-11-04_064720.png
(154.49 KiB) Downloaded 816 times

bigpup

#426 Post by bigpup »

Adobe Flash Player is just getting to be one big pain in the you know what :evil: :twisted:
It seems to change, constantly, what is needed to use it.

Are you using the latest as of today?
Flashplayer 11.2.202.540

also, having the latest version of Firefox is getting to be part of the problem.
Firefox started putting code in it that will deactivate Flashplayer, if it feels you do not have the best version.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

april

#427 Post by april »

The Quickpet Precise installation works for me with Seamonkey . It gives you the choice of what to try.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642

cimarron

#428 Post by cimarron »

If you want to stop Firefox from blocking old flash versions, add-on/plugin blocking can be disabled on the about:config page, by setting:

extensions.blocklist.enabled to false

duckguy

When I click on it, a red box appears - unable to contac ...

#429 Post by duckguy »

bigpup wrote:Adobe Flash Player is just getting to be one big pain ...
Are you using the latest ... Flashplayer 11.2.202.540 ...
@Bigpup: Yes. Now that I have a link to the FTP site with the latest version.
I just download the "PET" file, install, then run it.
It's pretty simple. Takes just a minute or so to get
everything running:

http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/getflash-1.5-6.pet

Anyone else with this issue, just click the above link,
and try it. You can choose the latest version available.
Observe the screen shot, attached to this post.
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-11-15.png
Updated version of 'GetFlash' utility. DuckGuy
(65.14 KiB) Downloaded 684 times

april

#430 Post by april »

Your link above does not give the options you state !
In fact it just gives a .pet file to download so how do I know what you are trying to install on my machine unless I go to some trouble to look more closely at the contents of the pet file before I install it ?

Please make my choices the same as what you say they will be , not try to trick me

rufwoof

#431 Post by rufwoof »

Frugal installed Precise 5.7.1 today.

Upgraded via the delta to 5.7.2.

Applied the HeartBleed SSL patch (I believe Bash security patch was automatically included in the 5.7.2 delta ??)

Booted, configured, added some additional wallpapers, tweaked ROX to use multiple PuppyPin's (different icons on different desktops). Created a savefolder.

Renamed puppy_precise_5.7.2.sfs to zdrv_precise_5.7.2.sfs
mksquashfs'd the savefolder and named that sfs puppy_precise_5.7.2.sfs

Booted pfix=ram and all runs/looks good so far.

Still juggling around which icons to have on each of the five desktops.
Attachments
d1.jpg
(45.04 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
d2.jpg
(40.73 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
d3.jpg
(33.22 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
d4.jpg
(41.49 KiB) Downloaded 553 times
d5.jpg
(34.28 KiB) Downloaded 553 times

rufwoof

#432 Post by rufwoof »

Having added Precise to my frugal set earlier today, I've uploaded a 'maintenance' version 5.7.2a to my googledrive
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
md5sum : f675c1754cce990bc2d106be336042c5 precise-5.7.2a.iso

5.7.1 precise with mavrothal's 5.7.2 delta applied (that fixed bash security issue (I think) and adds save folder, updated sfs_load ...etc.).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 258#803258

On top of that the 5.7.2a ISO has the HeartBleed ssl security fix applied
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 151#774151
(Shinobar)

Some themes having their windows border made a little wider - easier to resize windows

inode/directory=ROX-Filer-file-manager.desktop - added to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list - for firefox downloads when you Show Downloads and it asks for with-what type response, that fix makes it default to open with ROX-Filer
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 987#780987
(Geoffrey/Moat)

Added missing ARCH DIR in initrd.gz (in /etc/DISTROSPECS already OK)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 542#814542
(LaxY Puppy)

/etc/eventmanager changed to put drive icons at a distance of 80 from the screen edge (was 64). If you jwm config and set the tray to 'Taller' then at 64 distance the drive icons were partially covered. Pushing to 80 makes the drives still fully visible with a Taller tray.

Cosmetic change to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit - when booting the Updating ... ends up with the DONE prompt butted next to the text. Removed one dot from Updating ... so there's a character gap between the end of text and DONE

... and finally, a big change ... busybox 1.21 swapped out for 1.24 in both initrd.gz and in puppy sfs. Statically compiled version - see Barry's http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00294 apparently a better guess file system type, with Barry having (static) compiled James Bond code. I've just dropped that busybox in as-is (not changed any other code/scripts - as that's beyond me). Seems to boot and run ok. Perhaps needs a Puppy-pro to advise/change other stuff/code ???

Perhaps this should be moved to another/new Precise Maintenance Mode thread?

rufwoof

#433 Post by rufwoof »

Grabbed a few more backgrounds for desktops 6 through 10 for my multiple desktop different backgrounds/icon arrangements per desktop from the Eye Candy forum section.

Now just need ten 4 core PC's to vnc into, one per desktop, to turn this single core into a 41 core pup :)
Attachments
d6.jpg
(55.26 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
d7.jpg
(28.73 KiB) Downloaded 461 times
d8.jpg
(52.78 KiB) Downloaded 451 times
d9.jpg
(30.7 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
d10.jpg
(31.11 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

linuxcbon

#434 Post by linuxcbon »

Maybe it's time to let Precise Rest In Peace, it's old and much too bugged... :wink:

FeodorF

#435 Post by FeodorF »

linuxcbon wrote:
Maybe it's time to let Precise Rest In Peace, it's old and much too bugged... :wink:
Never ever!

This one is a fine platform to add Wine-1.8rc1 from our forum member 'version2013', adding the SeaMonkey-2.39.exe to it and watch Youtube via 'HTML5'.

It works well - without crashing Wine.

Regards,
Feodor

dancytron

Found a tiny bug

#436 Post by dancytron »

Found a tiny, tiny bug.

I did a manual frugal install save to folder on a 30 gig EXT4 partition with 5 gig of free space. The indicator for free space in the save showed one red bar at the very bottom, which I believe means that you are almost totally out of space (when I had 5 gig left). I assume this is because it isn't reading the space available for the save folder like it should.

I attached a jpeg to show what I am talking about (this is cropped from picture above and doesn't show the bug, just where it is). I circled it in red.
Attachments
puppy.jpg
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 724 times

rufwoof

#437 Post by rufwoof »

Hi dancytron

I'd guess that's not a bug. There are around 5 levels of that indicator (I think) and I suspect the lower one(s) are coloured red. For 30GB of total space divided by 5 levels = 6GB per level. Having less than that free would flag up just the first level and colour that red.

1 terabyte, 200GB per level x 5 levels, and if you had less than 200GB free it would show a single red bar. 100MB, 20MB per level and having 41MB free would perhaps have three bars and be coloured green.

I don't actually know for sure. Just a guess.

dancytron

#438 Post by dancytron »

rufwoof wrote:Hi dancytron

I'd guess that's not a bug. There are around 5 levels of that indicator (I think) and I suspect the lower one(s) are coloured red. For 30GB of total space divided by 5 levels = 6GB per level. Having less than that free would flag up just the first level and colour that red.

1 terabyte, 200GB per level x 5 levels, and if you had less than 200GB free it would show a single red bar. 100MB, 20MB per level and having 41MB free would perhaps have three bars and be coloured green.

I don't actually know for sure. Just a guess.
I guess that makes sense.

starhawk

#439 Post by starhawk »

Bug report, Precise Puppy 571 Retro. (I assume I'm in the correct spot.)

While the save-at-shutdown script *does* work completely on a Dell Latitude CPi, it takes literally something like three minutes to probe available drives. That may be the drive (Fujitsu MHT2020A), the optical drive (ex-ThinkPad CD/RW-DVD/ROM "Combo" drive poorly bodged into a Dell modular bay adapter for a 24x CD drive) or it may be the fact that there's an "fd0" icon on the desktop despite the system having no attached drive to match.

I suspect that it's either the third of those (trying to find a floppy drive that does not exist -- I actually took it apart lol) or some sort of hardware quirk in this system (it has plenty of others!) that Puppy finds a little hard to digest.

Nevertheless, as this bug is almost certainly specific to this particular laptop, and since said laptop is of the sort of age that Indiana Jones would want it put in a museum (it was made in 1999!), I honestly don't expect anything to come of this report, and I'm okay with that. I'm reporting this because I think it's the right thing to do, not because I want someone to fix it.

starhawk

#440 Post by starhawk »

Bug report, Precise Puppy 571 Retro.

This one I do hope for some help on.

Similarly to what is written about for Puppy 5.1-5.2.8 here, the ath5k driver in Precise 5.7.1 Retro is nonfunctional. I try to connect with Frisbee and, well...

[Requesting IP Address for (Network SSID)]
[wlan0 is down]
[Requesting IP Address for (Network SSID)]
[wlan0 is down]

...and so on, until it gives up. Can someone do me a favor? (Please do use i686 or earlier as the target -- I'm on a P2 here, and it does not do SSE anything.)