Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
dancytron

Found a tiny bug

#436 Post by dancytron »

Found a tiny, tiny bug.

I did a manual frugal install save to folder on a 30 gig EXT4 partition with 5 gig of free space. The indicator for free space in the save showed one red bar at the very bottom, which I believe means that you are almost totally out of space (when I had 5 gig left). I assume this is because it isn't reading the space available for the save folder like it should.

I attached a jpeg to show what I am talking about (this is cropped from picture above and doesn't show the bug, just where it is). I circled it in red.
Attachments
puppy.jpg
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 724 times

rufwoof

#437 Post by rufwoof »

Hi dancytron

I'd guess that's not a bug. There are around 5 levels of that indicator (I think) and I suspect the lower one(s) are coloured red. For 30GB of total space divided by 5 levels = 6GB per level. Having less than that free would flag up just the first level and colour that red.

1 terabyte, 200GB per level x 5 levels, and if you had less than 200GB free it would show a single red bar. 100MB, 20MB per level and having 41MB free would perhaps have three bars and be coloured green.

I don't actually know for sure. Just a guess.

dancytron

#438 Post by dancytron »

rufwoof wrote:Hi dancytron

I'd guess that's not a bug. There are around 5 levels of that indicator (I think) and I suspect the lower one(s) are coloured red. For 30GB of total space divided by 5 levels = 6GB per level. Having less than that free would flag up just the first level and colour that red.

1 terabyte, 200GB per level x 5 levels, and if you had less than 200GB free it would show a single red bar. 100MB, 20MB per level and having 41MB free would perhaps have three bars and be coloured green.

I don't actually know for sure. Just a guess.
I guess that makes sense.

starhawk

#439 Post by starhawk »

Bug report, Precise Puppy 571 Retro. (I assume I'm in the correct spot.)

While the save-at-shutdown script *does* work completely on a Dell Latitude CPi, it takes literally something like three minutes to probe available drives. That may be the drive (Fujitsu MHT2020A), the optical drive (ex-ThinkPad CD/RW-DVD/ROM "Combo" drive poorly bodged into a Dell modular bay adapter for a 24x CD drive) or it may be the fact that there's an "fd0" icon on the desktop despite the system having no attached drive to match.

I suspect that it's either the third of those (trying to find a floppy drive that does not exist -- I actually took it apart lol) or some sort of hardware quirk in this system (it has plenty of others!) that Puppy finds a little hard to digest.

Nevertheless, as this bug is almost certainly specific to this particular laptop, and since said laptop is of the sort of age that Indiana Jones would want it put in a museum (it was made in 1999!), I honestly don't expect anything to come of this report, and I'm okay with that. I'm reporting this because I think it's the right thing to do, not because I want someone to fix it.

starhawk

#440 Post by starhawk »

Bug report, Precise Puppy 571 Retro.

This one I do hope for some help on.

Similarly to what is written about for Puppy 5.1-5.2.8 here, the ath5k driver in Precise 5.7.1 Retro is nonfunctional. I try to connect with Frisbee and, well...

[Requesting IP Address for (Network SSID)]
[wlan0 is down]
[Requesting IP Address for (Network SSID)]
[wlan0 is down]

...and so on, until it gives up. Can someone do me a favor? (Please do use i686 or earlier as the target -- I'm on a P2 here, and it does not do SSE anything.)

ninotix

#441 Post by ninotix »

Hello can somebody explain me meaning of error messages that i found once and a while in /tmp/xerrs.log? I have installed precise 5.7.2 on 16gb usb flash drive with save folder method, also same errors appears on other installation methods and different usb sticks

/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs: line 394: [: -a: integer expression expected

/usr/local/pup_event/frontend_funcs: line 395: [: -lt: unary operator expected

rcrsn51

#442 Post by rcrsn51 »

@starhawk: The ath5k WiFi driver had problems in old kernels. But Precise 5.7 Retro has k3.2.48.

I set up a netbook that has ath5k using Precise Retro and PeasyWiFi as the network manager. I saw no problems.

rcrsn51

#443 Post by rcrsn51 »

@ninotix: Those errors occur when variables on the line of code are undefined when the code executes. They can sometimes be fixed by surrounding the variables with double quotes.

starhawk

#444 Post by starhawk »

rcrsn51 wrote:@starhawk: The ath5k WiFi driver had problems in old kernels. But Precise 5.7 Retro has k3.2.48.

I set up a netbook that has ath5k using Precise Retro and PeasyWiFi as the network manager. I saw no problems.
Thanks for the reply... I'd just about given up, lol.

I was using Frisbee... which, when I gave it a fair chance, wasn't so bad. The issue also happens with SNS. Haven't used Dougal's Wizard, but I'd expect the same there as well.

Care to re-test with either Frisbee or SNS? Preferably Frisbee.

I should probably mention that the Wireless card in question is a Cardbus (32b PCMCIA) F5D7010 v8 (WikiDevi page). While the laptop in question does have a USB port, it's either 1.0 or 1.1 (I've never been able to pin that down, honestly) and as there's only the one, I'd like to reserve it for flash drives and other external USB devices and media.

starhawk

#445 Post by starhawk »

...that would be a 'no'.

Oh well.

starhawk

#446 Post by starhawk »

Downloaded and upgraded Frisbee to 1.3.2, also tried Pwireless 0.8.4.

No luck.

Tried three other cards, two using ath5k driver, one Prism2.

No luck, even with the Prism2 card.

Looks like there's something giving a spurious hangup signal somewhere, no matter what I do.

Suggestions?

starhawk

#447 Post by starhawk »

Can anyone help, preferably using a wifi adapter that needs the 'ath5k' driver and a connection wizard that I can actually download? Frisbee preferred. (I'm now using Frisbee 1.3.2, per previous report.)

starhawk

#448 Post by starhawk »

*cricket noises*

...anyone?

unicorn316386

#449 Post by unicorn316386 »

starhawk wrote:Haven't used Dougal's Wizard, but I'd expect the same there as well.
I once had a distro (an early version of rufwoof's wary 5.3 I think) that would only work with Dougal's Network Wizard. It used Frisbee by default, which didn't work, so I had to find the menu for all three (Internet Connection Wizard), then tried SNS (which is what I usually use) which didn't work either, but Dougal's did, so I would give it a shot just to see.

This is the guide I used to begin with (first in Puppy 4.20), if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWBo15s8dME

starhawk

#450 Post by starhawk »

Since then I've tried all three, as well as an early old Pwireless.

Nada.

I think it's getting a spurious SIGHUP from somewhere (or just won't bring up the card in the first place) but I can't prove it.

starhawk

#451 Post by starhawk »

Still needing assistance.

starhawk

#452 Post by starhawk »

Two days later, still needing further assistance, none provided.

Am I posting in the wrong place?

Moat

#453 Post by Moat »

Starhawk -

No idea if this might be useful info or not (I'm not very knowledgable on WiFi stuff), but I'll throw it out here, FWIW...

In Precise 5.7.1 Retro, I've managed to irreparably break Wifi networking (Frisbee, SNS, PeasyWifi and Dougal's) in the past by installing/updating to later Frisbees (and 1.3.2 rings a bell...). The only Frisbee that I found which got connectivity semi-working again was http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... recise.pet

"Semi-working", as SNS/Dougal's/PeasyWifi still didn't work, using a WPA encrypted network. But Peebee's above Frisbee .pet did (reliably). Silly pop-up Puppy heads, and all. :lol:

If you're using a WPA encrypted network, does your old box/card even support WPA encryption? WPA hasn't been around all that long, IIRC.

I'd (remember... amateurishly! :oops: ) suggest running the connection manager's diagnostics, and report the results - either here, or maybe in the networking section of the forum. Someone more knowledgable than I may spot a clue in there somewhere.

Another suggestion would be to do all of your Wifi/network troubleshooting using a pristine boot (pfix=ram) - to avoid any of the myriad of possible former "save" modifications that can inexplicably break the complex and seemingly delicate infrastructure that appears to make up Puppy's Wifi connectivity.

My amateur-ish $0.02, FWIW... :)

Bob

starhawk

#454 Post by starhawk »

Thanks, Moat! I will take a look at that, either late tonight or tomorrow, as time permits -- in either case I'll report back as soon as I know.

I will note, for now, that it feels kind of like the thing can't raise the cards to begin with -- I've yet to get one to work for even a split second with this Pup, and when I type ifconfig wlan0 up in a Terminal window, it doesn't give me anything but a new prompt. No error appears -- but no success message, either, which is a little unusual for that command. Typing ifconfig wlan0 down does give a confirmation of success, however.

starhawk

#455 Post by starhawk »

Just tested, no luck :(

I'm really beginning to suspect that this is a Cardbus problem, where the card just won't be brought up -- or, rather, comes up and promptly crashes.

Anyone got some suggestions on a fix?