Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
backi

#46 Post by backi »

Hi watchdog !

I have to agree ..... there is something with my german keyboard .. does not work as usual but only (for me )in Chromium20 Browser....
. did some changes in countrysettings of the browser..now is working........almost .........still @ is now on another button.

Maybe one have to download and install specific langpack .

OscarTalks

#47 Post by OscarTalks »

The easiest way I have found to reproduce the keyboard layout bug is:-

Restart X Server
Open Geany
Type characters such as @ " # \

Perhaps other UK users at least would be so kind as to try this simple test.
Oscar in England

anikin

#48 Post by anikin »

OscarTalks,
awhile ago, I had some keyboard misbehaviour too, with at least two puppies, although it wasn't severe. I created "90-keyboard-layout.conf" like this:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "keyboard-all"
	MatchIsKeyboard "on"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
	Driver "evdev"
	Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
	Option "XkbOptions"  "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin"
	Option "XkbVariant" ",winkeys" #xkbvariant0
	Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection
and put it in:
usr/share/x11/xorg.conf.d
My problem was, that in geany, I couldn't toggle keyboard layout, and that solved the issue for me (can't remember if I did something else). Just google for "90-keyboard-layout.conf" + your specific XkbOptions. What's important, as I understand it, this conf needs to be there in addition to xkb section of xorg.conf. So I have both.

Terryphi

#49 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:The easiest way I have found to reproduce the keyboard layout bug is:-

Restart X Server
Open Geany

Oscar:

I confirm the bug in Geany (but not any other program I have tried.) I am taking a look at geany.conf.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

cygnus_odile

/root/.Xdefaults has an unecpected space.

#50 Post by cygnus_odile »

Hellow, everyone, and Thanks to Mr Barry K. for your Puppy.
I've been using "Puppy" for long time (about 4yeras), and mainly Japanese edition.

In Recent Precise Puppy's "/root/.Xdefaults" has an unexpected space at the end of line 8.

Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~ 
So pushing "END" key causes the Cursor to jump and gives an unexpected space at the end of line, when editing the command line or using a text-editor on Urxvt.

This point is corrected in Precise Puppy 550JP ( Mr. Shinobar's Japanese edition).

Dear Mr.Barry K. please delete it (a space) in .Xdefaults and .Xdefaults.back, in next release.

... ... thank you for reading my post through.

Terryphi

#51 Post by Terryphi »

Terryphi wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:The easiest way I have found to reproduce the keyboard layout bug is:-

Restart X Server
Open Geany

Oscar:

I confirm the bug in Geany (but not any other program I have tried.) I am taking a look at geany.conf.
This fixes Geany for UK keyboard:

/root/.conf/geany.conf

Line 66
Amend
pref_editor_default_encoding=ISO-8859-1
to
pref_editor_default_encoding=ISO-8859-15

Save file and restart X server. It may take a few tries to "stick". (I would have preferred to use UTF-8 but I could not get that to "stick".) This is a workaround but probably the bug is elsewhere because this amendment is not necessary in Racy/Wary.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

OscarTalks

#52 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Terryphi,

Thanks for taking a look. The bug still persists for me. What happens is that if you open Geany (or can be Leafpad or other program that you would type into), type something, then close it, once you open it a second time (or any other program) the layout problem has gone away. This may be why it appeared that it was only in Geany and not other programs.

If you restart X again (or reboot) then open any program the problem will be there again until you try to type and then close it.
Oscar in England

Terryphi

#53 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello Terryphi,

Thanks for taking a look. The bug still persists for me. What happens is that if you open Geany (or can be Leafpad or other program that you would type into), type something, then close it, once you open it a second time (or any other program) the layout problem has gone away. This may be why it appeared that it was only in Geany and not other programs.

If you restart X again (or reboot) then open any program the problem will be there again until you try to type and then close it.
Oscar, yes you are right. It does happen in the way you describe for many programs (including Leafpad and Firefox and Chromium from Ubuntu repositories.) but not all. For instance my Opera SFS does not show this behaviour. Maybe it is caused by a file that all these programs reference.

Sage

#54 Post by Sage »

Geany/Keboard/5.7/Full.
Interesting - it's more of a feature than a fault. I have an illuminated bni keyboard that I use for general testing. I used a marker pen to overwrite the @ " # \ symbols which were transposed " @ £ plus extra key for \|~, respectively. The bni compliance notice refers to Canada alone; I don't know anything else about it's origins.
I swapped this k/b with a regular UK one and the installation crashed. Rebooted, it made some changes and I rebooted again. Ignore X error message, got Error in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Puppy/Pin, go OK, old pinboard converted to new XML format OK gives single SDA1 icon lower left, CNTRL-Backspce + xwin - SDA1 and FD0, no other icons???? Everything appears to work from Menu, correct UK symbols for @"#\ appear as per (UK) keyboard.
Swap back to illuminated k/b, Geany, symbols revert to (Canadian?) keys as originally marked, but the desktop icons have disappeared again, just the HD and FD ones showing, not even the optical drive (IDE). Fiddled around with various icon handling utilities but nothing would bring them back.
Reinstalled FULL, availed of patch in PPM, set xv in Mplayer - all back as was with (Canadian?) key strokes in Geany.
All this is beyond my ambit. Just one mission critical matter - cannot get the £ symbol to show in Geany but UK regular key positions (overwritten on illuminated keyboard) in Abiword.
Having these issues? Try changing the keyboard?

Terryphi

#55 Post by Terryphi »

Seems to me Restart X server is resetting to default US keyboard layout but corrects itself to selected keyboard layout after any program receives keyboard input and is closed. Weird!

Sage

#56 Post by Sage »

Weird, indeed. In principle, all the keys can be re-mapped - I used to do it with that other OS. That was a long time ago; no idea how to do it in Linux. It may also be possible to obtain stick-on key logos or overlay cards although I've not seen them recently. Sometimes, new keyboards come with a spare/blank key. Got to be easier solutions, especially as keyboards can be had new for £2-3 rather than the IBM monstrosity at ~£120 some decades ago. How about the euro symbol? The £ symbol might come in useful...

tronkel

#57 Post by tronkel »

Oscar Talks wrote:
is anyone else having any issues with the keyboard layout?
Yep I've got the same problem. I think I had it Precise 5.6.1 also. There seems to be a problem with the Quick Setup first run settings - it's simply being ignored, so the keyboard layout has to be to be configured for a second time in the normal way, i.e. from the Puppy keyboard settings wizard. Then it works.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

OscarTalks

#58 Post by OscarTalks »

Well I have just looked at Precise Puppy 5.6.1 on 2 computers, one netbook and now posting from an HP Compaq Small Form Factor desktop and the bug does NOT happen for me in 5.6.1 so it would appear to be something which has crept in between 5.6.1 and 5.7 so hopefully that narrows it down a bit.
Oscar in England

Sage

#59 Post by Sage »

a problem with the Quick Setup first run settings - it's simply being ignore
- not too sure about that? I get perfect behaviour with Abiword but not Geany at all stages and conditions. There are lots of transatlantic keyboards buzzing around Europe and it's not always apparent because the £ symbol is often present when $ shows, and v.v.; also many non-standard layouts like my illuminated model, 'compact'/mini versions, ad inf. Not been a Geany fan, prefer gedit and mousepad, so not sure how long this has been going on.

Just tried Leafpad/illiuminated - only @ and " are interposed - the £ symbol is normal, as well as the remainder.
Gedit requires too many deps. to check it tonight - I'm busy!

PS. Any Brits needing a spare k/b - just let me know how many.

witekjeden

#60 Post by witekjeden »

I run live-cd retro version on my Maxdata Eco4010iw 512ram and system works quite good, thanks for new Precise. There is a little problem: can not to execute PeasyGlue and Pidgin with polish language. I guess the nls packages are not including into iso file because after installing pidgin_nls from Wary repo Pidgin works in polish.
Oooops, sorry. The langpack needs to upgrade.

Billtoo

Precise Puppy 5.7

#61 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running from the live dvd with a savefile, computer is an intel
imac.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Tue 30 Jul 2013 on Precise Puppy 5.7 Linux 3.9.11 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon
HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00
X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.128 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.877 FPS
300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.861 FPS
#
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz
Memory 4127MB (269MB used)
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4321 802.11a/b/g/n (rev 05)

It's working well, no problems at all so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(41.93 KiB) Downloaded 1953 times

Jades

#62 Post by Jades »

bigpup wrote:During development of Lucid Puppy, Gnome Mplayer was worked on, with a lot of troubleshooting and trying to make it work.
Heh, those were the days! I still have a soft spot for Lupu as it was the first Linux distro I ever actively contributed to as a tester.
bigpup wrote:XineDVD program was added as the specific player for DVD movies.
XineDVD is mint, and as far as I recall isn't all that big either. There's a strong case for just going with having it as the default DVD player rather than spend ages hitting Gnome Mplayer with hammers until it graduates to half-arsed DVD player.

Not every problem can be solved with a hammer. So I'm told, anyway. ;-)

I'll give the retro version of Precise 5.7 a go on my K6-2 and report back. Let's see if it gets as far as the desktop this time!
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

scsijon

keymap /keyboard problems

#63 Post by scsijon »

Folks, those with keyboard/keymap problems: (pemasu, Terryphi, Charlie6,+)

If you drop out of JWM to the prompt, do you still have the problem in raw X mode?

As Joe is about to release JWM 2.2 (post snapshot version 835 and origonally due a week or so ago), if it's happening inside JWM that would be something he needs to know and see if it needs a fix before that happens. He has only one problem left to solve and a patch is awaiting his return, so it's not very far off.

Oh, yes, what JWM are you using as anything before 835 do have problems of one sort or another.

thanks

OscarTalks

#64 Post by OscarTalks »

scsijon,
Good thinking that it may be connected to JWM, still not sure though.
When I drop to prompt the characters display correctly.
Only if I type "xwin" to start X again do the characters display wrongly until I try typing and close a program.

Precise 5.7 has JWM snapshot 819 but I just tried 831 and then 835 and I also tried going back to release 2.1.0 and they all behave the same way so doesn't look like was a bug with a specific JWM version. Will keep digging.
Oscar in England

Monsie

Precise Puppy 5.7

#65 Post by Monsie »

I am currently testing Precise Puppy retro while running a live CD. I am quite impressed with how things look so far, especially since it is running nicely on my fourteen year old Pentium lll I ended up switching to the default video driver for my ATI Rage 128 and managed to tweak xorg.conf a bit...

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.7

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 
  Drivers requested to be loaded:       r128 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): r128
  Loaded modules: dbe ddc dri dri2 extmod fb glx i2c int10 kbd mouse ramdac record shadowfb vbe vgahw xaa

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1024x768 pixels (302x232 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
38 frames in 5.1 seconds =  7.426 FPS
38 frames in 5.1 seconds =  7.435 FPS
40 frames in 5.2 seconds =  7.687 FPS
39 frames in 5.1 seconds =  7.633 FPS
40 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.983 FPS
38 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.599 FPS
40 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.983 FPS
39 frames in 5.1 seconds =  7.640 FPS
40 frames in 5.0 seconds =  7.980 FPS
39 frames in 5.1 seconds =  7.641 FPS
^C
# ^C
I notice that Partview still shows that I have a 4gb optical drive when in fact I only have a CD rom drive... I am enclosing a screenshot.

Monsie
Attachments
partview-pp57retro.png
(11.08 KiB) Downloaded 1587 times
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.