Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
tlvu

#496 Post by tlvu »

Sorry if this has been answered before but why is flash not working with the provided Seamonkey in Precise Puppy 5.7.1?

I installed firefox (from Ubuntu repo) and the existing flash started to work immediately.

How do I get flash to work with existing Seamonkey?

Should someone republish/remaster a Precise Puppy 5.7.2 with flash working out of the box?

Thanks.

starhawk

#497 Post by starhawk »

Hate to say it -- but don't expect a response here. Precise 571 is old news and the developer has (sadly) moved on.

I'm in a stuck spot with it, too... I've yet to get help that worked :(

april

#498 Post by april »

tlvu wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before but why is flash not working with the provided Seamonkey in Precise Puppy 5.7.1?

I installed firefox (from Ubuntu repo) and the existing flash started to work immediately.

Should someone republish/remaster a Precise Puppy 5.7.2 with flash working out of the box?

Thanks.
Download precise quickpet http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642
Go through and update flash and then you can get lots of other goodies as well

tlvu

#499 Post by tlvu »

april wrote:
tlvu wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before but why is flash not working with the provided Seamonkey in Precise Puppy 5.7.1?

Thanks.
Download precise quickpet http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=83642
Go through and update flash and then you can get lots of other goodies as well
Sorry for noobs question, what's a "quickpet"? Seems like a collection of apps and fixes. With all the apps listed how can this quickpet be only 208.75 KB ? I am so intrigued, will try it for sure.

Mike Walsh

#500 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, tlvu.

The 'quickpet' is basically a fast way to access more commonly used and/or requested programs/apps from the PPM. Saves opening the PPM and working your way through all the steps.

You might find with 571 (I run it myself, amongst others) that, even after trying to install Flash with the installer, that the installer itself will need updating before it will work; Adobe have changed all the site URLs since the older GetFlash was put together.

If that's the case, then go to here , and obtain shinobar's getflash-1.5-6.pet; this is the most recent version. Once you've installed that, you should no longer have problems downloading and installing the most recent FlashPlayer.

Once you've done that, I would recommend installing Geoffrey's UpdateFlash .pet. Geoff's put together a brilliant utility which checks the Adobe web site for the latest version of Flash; if it finds it, it asks if you want to install it. If yes, then it downloads and installs it for you.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100523

The newest .pet. 1.4, will be found at the bottom of the first post.

If you tick the 'Start FlashUpdater at Startup' check box, it will put a sym-link into the /root/Startup folder, so that it will then run automatically, every time you boot.

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

L18L

#501 Post by L18L »

tlvu wrote:Seems like a collection of apps and fixes. With all the apps listed how can this quickpet be only 208.75 KB ?
Because the collection of apps and fixes is not inside, it is just the list of apps and fixes.
Hope that helps :D

starhawk

#502 Post by starhawk »

Welp, okay, I guess it's supported for people with handles that don't read "starhawk".

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was that caustic... should I change my sig to a chemical warning sign, maybe? or "Handle with care"...? or maybe you folks want me to just go away... I've been thinking about giving Linux Mint a more serious look anyways.

You folks tell me. Opinions wanted...

Colonel Panic

#503 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for reminding me of a good puppy; I'm running 5.7.1 (Large) now and seeing if I can get Flash working itn (it isn't working now).

EDIT; Mike's advice above to use getflash was good and Flash is working fine in Seamonkey now.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Wed 23 Mar 2016, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#504 Post by Colonel Panic »

starhawk wrote:Welp, okay, I guess it's supported for people with handles that don't read "starhawk".

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was that caustic... should I change my sig to a chemical warning sign, maybe? or "Handle with care"...? or maybe you folks want me to just go away... I've been thinking about giving Linux Mint a more serious look anyways.

Please stick around starhawk. I've never had a problem with you here AFAIK and don't expect I ever will, also you're one of the most knowledgeable people here and always willing to help other people who are having a problem.

Plenty of people here use Mint as well as Puppy (I do for a start).
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

starhawk

#505 Post by starhawk »

Thank you, Colonel Panic, for the kind words -- and my apologies for not seeing them sooner.

Just seems, a lot of people on here either avoid me or try to start crap... or get indignant when I ask for help... or get indignant when they're not really being helpful but they want to think they are and I call them on it -- as happened earlier in this thread.

Maybe I just need to take a break. I dunno.

musher0

#506 Post by musher0 »

Colonel Panic wrote:
starhawk wrote:Welp, okay, I guess it's supported for people with handles that don't read "starhawk".

Please stick around starhawk. I've never had a problem with you here AFAIK and don't expect I ever will, also you're one of the most knowledgeable people here and always willing to help other people who are having a problem.

(...)
Hello starhawk.

I haven't followed this Precise thread closely at all -- simply put, I haven't used the
PrecisePup in a long time.

But I'll counter-sign what "Colonel Panic" has written about your presence AND your
posts here. You are one of the most helpful AND friendly members on this forum.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

starhawk

#507 Post by starhawk »

Thanks, musher!

quirkian2new

#508 Post by quirkian2new »

Hello starhawk,

first of all thanks for your helping me in posting a desktop sreenshot on another thread " My Puppy is more gorgeous than yours!" and also your reply on android pup.

I am totally agree with Colonel Panic and musher0 that you're one of the most knowledgeable people here and always willing to help other people who are having a problem.

Take a break if you want, but I hope you won't give up. Hope you can continue with your willingness to help other people in this forum.

Many thanks.

april

#509 Post by april »

Suckups KMA

starhawk

#510 Post by starhawk »

Someone sounds a little sore... try Preparation H ;)

...sorry, couldn't resist...

starhawk

#511 Post by starhawk »

@april -- no smartass response? I figured you'd troll me harder than that...

Oh well. As they say around my part o' the world -- don't let the door hitcha where the Good Lord splitcha...

:twisted:

Mike Walsh

#512 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, starhawk.
musher0 wrote:But I'll counter-sign what "Colonel Panic" has written about your presence AND your
posts here. You are one of the most helpful AND friendly members on this forum.
Snap! Hang around, starhawk.....we're not all sarky and smartass (and we luv ya!!)

Mike. :wink:

Mike Walsh

#513 Post by Mike Walsh »

april wrote:Suckups KMA
'Sakes, man (or woman?).....what is your problem? This is supposed to be a friendly forum. Your attitude toward certain other members is not helping.....

Mike. :roll:

starhawk

#514 Post by starhawk »

...I think april's flown the coop. Easiest varminting I think I've ever done... almost feels a little too easy. Hmm.

Time will tell...

EDIT: yup, no replies. Gone. Can't say I miss that particular poster -- maybe I should, maybe I shouldn't -- but I don't. I must be getting old :P

EDIT2: premature conclusion. Oh well. Everyone deserves a second chance... let's see what happens.

Pelo

no answers for van pup during a long time

#515 Post by Pelo »

starhawk, don't worry, some passengers had no answers for van pup during a long time, and suddenly lot of people arrived for help
"Hate to say it -- but don't expect a response here. Precise 571 is old news and the developer has (sadly) moved on."
I keep puppy precise, because ffmpeg and Mplayer included. I am sure People willl come back to Precise Puppy 5.7.1 soon.
If Developers develop newer Puppies, my computer is still the same.Its RAM is still 512MB. My pendrive for it has old puppies, Precise 5.7.1 is the newest.
puppy_precise_5.7.3.sfs: 127 M does not fulfil my Ram and does not freeze any process.