Settings save to USB, but I still have to set up every time

Booting, installing, newbie
seapal

Settings save to USB, but I still have to set up every time

#1 Post by seapal »

I am booting 201 from a LiveCD. I save my settings to my Sansa m240 (yes the files are on there, yes it says I save it, yes it says it's using it when I boot up).

But when I boot up, I can't see anything saved: I still have to choose my keyboard, choose my video, set up my internet, etc. I haven't got sound to work yet (I have a pretty typical SB audigy card) and my printer isn't in the list of printers (even though it's an HP product--PSC 1510).

I also tried to get DOSBox from the Puppy Package manager but when I click Install nothing seems to happen. How do I know which version of programs like DOSBox to get for Puppy Linux? I can't decrompress the Fedora versions, and I couldn't get the other linuxy-sounding versions doing anything for me either.

So I really like this distro but I would like to not have to set these things up every time I boot--I would like to be sure anything is being saved at all. Should I try an earlier distro or what?

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

I'm not using Puppy2 yet... it's still a work in progress, though your problem seems unique.
The settings it sounds are being saved (maybe), but when booting the first time bootup code is being run.
So perhaps it isn't finding the save image file when booting.

To test if it is saving settings, make an empty file in /usr called "test", reboot & look to see if it's there.

kirk

#3 Post by kirk »

Puppy 201 seems VERY good. I've ran it livecd, #1 and #2 hard drive installs with no problems.

When you shutdown after your first boot it should ask you where you want to save the pup_save.3fs file. That's what holds anything you do in puppy and should be loaded automaticly when you reboot. Here's some possible problems:

* You only have NTFS partitions (puppy can't save to them yet)

* You have a SATA drive (new type serial drive, I don't think puppy can deal with them yet)

If puppy asked you where to save at and you picked a partition, look on that partition and see if you have a pup_save.3fs file. You also might try saving to a partition on hard drive 0 if you have more than one drive.

seapal

#4 Post by seapal »

kirk, i saved to a usb device. the files you described are there.