Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 23:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Laptop Brightness Function Key Issues? Here's a Workaround
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
Cadejo

PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2013, 12:35    Post subject:  Laptop Brightness Function Key Issues? Here's a Workaround  

My screen brightness function keys stopped working in precise 5.7.1 so here's a workaround. It essentially builds a pop-up menu to control brightness in JWM.

Take a good look at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight, it provided the workaround used below.

Don't forget to restart JWM after saving the edits.

Copy below into /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc and /root/.jwmrc , add it before the first <RootMenu> entries
Code:
<RootMenu label="" labeled="false" height="24" onroot="6">
<Program label="1" icon=""> echo 1 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
<Program label="2" icon=""> echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
<Program label="3" icon=""> echo 3 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
<Program label="4" icon=""> echo 4 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
<Program label="5" icon=""> echo 5 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
<Program label="6" icon=""> echo 6 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
<Program label="7" icon=""> echo 7 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness</Program>
</RootMenu>

And add the following into /root/.jwmrc-tray after the "<TaskList/>" entry

Code:
<TrayButton label="" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/idea16.xpm">root:6</TrayButton>

Please see the attached image for the cool pop-up brightness control!
capture29500.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   81.05 KB
 Viewed   774 Time(s)

capture29500.jpg

tmihai

PostPosted: Fri 09 Aug 2013, 18:40    Post subject:  

Solved
"Somehow I can't make it work.
It worked once but then it replaced my main menu, and then the icon appears but does not work.
What am I doing wrong?"

It works now. No idea why now and not before.
fm1st

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 16:16    Post subject: Re: Laptop Brightness Function Key Issues? Here's a Workaround  

Cadejo wrote:
My screen brightness function keys stopped working in precise 5.7.1 so here's a workaround. It essentially builds a pop-up menu to control brightness in JWM.

Cadejo, thank you VERY VERY much for presenting this brilliant workaround Laughing , which enabled me to put back in use a "useless" but still very powerful laptop (Sony VAIO, with Intel Core2 Duo P9500 @2.53Gh, 4 Gb Ram and Scratch resistant XBRITE-Duravaview LCD).
The previous owner at least once spanked Crying or Very sad the poor laptop, probably due to its OS (Ruindows) in a broken HD, and sadly its whole keyboard, touch-pad and all function keys went all completely dead broken, with the screen locked at its highest possible brightness, causing a lot of eye strain after a little while of use.

... and after I found your workaround, I managed to follow it correctly and now the "useless" laptop is brought back to life and working beautifully - without any HDs but with external keyboard and mouse -, running Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 with your brightness control implemented.

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
gcmartin

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 23:04    Post subject:  

Which key will cause the pop-up for selection as shown in the OP's attached pic?
fm1st

PostPosted: Wed 02 Oct 2013, 23:46    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
Which key will cause the pop-up for selection as shown in the OP's attached pic?

It is not a key, it is the button with the tiny "lamp" icon that is created in the task bar after you have done the three edits described by Cadejo, saved them and restarted JWM. Once clicked, it generates the popup to select the brightness of the laptop screen, from "1" (darkest) to "7" (brightest).
It was not clear to me Sad where exactly to add the code lines in the edits but after some trial and errors I managed to get the brightness control to work. Laughing If you wish I can send some screenshots of my files before and after the edits.
gampr01

PostPosted: Sun 03 Nov 2013, 06:48    Post subject: Re: Laptop Brightness Function Key Issues? Here's a Workaround  

Found this solution on archlinux forum - this made the default screen brightness adjustment keys work on my acer 4830TG:

just add "acpi_osi=Linux" (without "") to the menu.lst of grub/grub4dos, line kernel. Such, my menu.lst now looks like this, and the screen adjustment works as it should Smile

title Puppy Linux 5.6.0 Slacko
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy/initrd.gz
kernel /Puppy/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=Puppy pcie_aspm=force acpi_osi=Linux
initrd /Puppy/initrd.gz
fm1st

PostPosted: Fri 22 Nov 2013, 00:08    Post subject:  

@ gampr01: thanks for sharing!
tsc

PostPosted: Sat 11 Oct 2014, 20:31    Post subject: Worked for me
Subject description: On a Sony VAIO VPCF11Z1E laptop

Thanks for this suggestion. It allowed me to reduce the glare from the screen to a pleasant level depending on the light. I am new to Puppy Linux (Slacko 5.7) and it took a moment for me to realise that JWM is restarted by clicking on Shutdown and selecting 'Restart Windows Manager'.
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: