Firefox 23 EN & EL

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Disco Makberto

#16 Post by Disco Makberto »

Sunburnt, I think I am getting one important point of yours. Stated differently, you would like, for instance, sort of universal pets for particular applications that work on all puppies (or as many as possible) and not having, for example, the same application in the form of diiferent pets, one for lucid, one for 431, one for slacko, etc. If so, that is something that I also welcome, but I don't know if it is possible unless there is a common base OS, as you are saying. One application that drives me nuts is ALSA; it has been deployed in diiferent ways in different puppies, so in some puppies it works in some specific ways, in some others it works differently, and still in some others it works in different manners.

Best,

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

sunburnt

#17 Post by sunburnt »

Probably very few app pkgs will work for many variants/distros. Only the simple ones.

Mainly as was said in the Community Edition thread: One main release, not many.!
They seem to have settled on Debian stable for the base. A good choice I think.
Debian and Ubuntu both have tons of apps. This makes them a very good choice.

Others don`t agree, mostly the Slacko folks. It`s a good variant also. Don`t know if it`s better.
They say Debian & Ubuntu are bloated. But size isn`t so important. Does it have lots of apps.?

ThoriumBlvd

#18 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Not because I'm Slacko, but I remember being here as a lurker 4 and 5 years ago reading up on Puppy. What was true then is true now, "Diversity is key to Linux, and Puppy by extension". The Buntu's can go to business, like Fedora for all I care. Android can stay on phones, Chrome... well, no thanks, it wants to # me and my device. Windows gives my 'puter several noxious addictions.
So me and my little eee are here. And quite happy with a distro of a particular diversion that nearly duplicates the needs.
[img]http://www.am3radio.us/image3.jpg[/img] . [img]http://www.am3radio.us/image4.jpg[/img]

Disco Makberto

#19 Post by Disco Makberto »

Most of the time I rely on "pups" and not on official puppies. And, at least in my case, I welcome as many pups as possible. Also, and this is very important to note, a "pup" does not necessarily have to include extra applications when compared to the official releases, for there are pups with fewer or almost no applications such as the barebones releases which are also "pups".

Carlos Albert
D-Mak

darkcity

#20 Post by darkcity »

Thanks for this 8) works on Slacko 5.3.1

Was using Seamonkey but the Ghostery plugin doesn't work on the latest versions.