Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Sep 2014, 02:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
A custom File & Folder selector.
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 7 [97 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
sunburnt

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 19:30    Post subject:  

Wow, I never thought about brownie points.! Rolling Eyes

Yes, Bash is the one thing that`s truly portable, but then any scripting language could be also.
Bash is portable, fixable on the spot, no compiling, and capable, but it does have problems.

I`m thinking about looking into Script Basic as an alternative to BaCon.
Slightly slower, will compile to an interim code, and the run time interpreter dependency.
The run time would probably need to be compiled, as does BaCon exec. files, and Bash.

Collect more Yad stuff, and maybe we`ll work up some more wrappers for it too.
Then starting a Yad thread is a great idea. Kinda like a web site, content first...
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 29 Aug 2013, 20:28    Post subject:  

Perhaps it deserves a new name as a fork .. yadley , yadlevice, yadiddly.

I have made cookies in the past but they always taste better when someone else does it.... especially if theres ginger in there. My party piece is bread...trouble is they eat it as fast as I make it.

Today I masochistically hacked something to build against a newer xulrunner than it was built for so I can play with it.... but I am not a programmer. Oh and man did they make some hairy changes in that one... Mind you it does work better built against the intended system(s) so better already...

I have lots of happy beetroot to munch on..it seems to like growing here and the slimy creatures don't eat it.

Well thats todays blog

mike
sunburnt

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013, 03:30    Post subject:  

A side bar... Yad seems to have stopped working with --directory ( blank GUI, 2 buttons ).
I know it was working before, everything else about it seems to be okay.

I`ve tried 4 different yads and compiled one myself, all the same.
So it appears something happened to the GTK directory chooser.
mikeb

PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013, 06:52    Post subject:  

yad --file-selection
give that a whirl Smile

As it happens yesterday I started applying yad to pburn.

So far done all the pop up notifications, progress bars and the burn log... all happy.
Next the load/save and various dialogs like copy.

One thing I noticed is speed... eg the progress pops up instantly whereas with the gtkdialog widget script there is a bit of a delay on a 1GHz machine.

Did it compile ok for you... behaved for me apart from hacking intl version iirc .
mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:20    Post subject:  

I think the notification from the forum failed so here's another post..

useful way to handle deliminated output using bashisms......

Code:
IN="widget|flap|noodle|"
ILS="|" read FIRST SECOND THIRD <<< "$IN"
echo $SECOND
flap

assigns each field to matching variable or if number of parameters is unknown....

Code:
IN="TRUE~/dev/hdc~CD~"
TMP=(${IN//~ })
echo ${TMP[1]}
/dev/hdc

produces an indexed array TMP....note does not like the pipe delimeter or spaces in parameters....

there are other ways but these are pretty neat if useable ..I know many instances of echo + cut being used where the first example would do the job in puppy.

what a thread bump Smile
mike
sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013, 13:42    Post subject:  

The Yad problem`s probably something with my work PC. I`ll have to try it on one of my others.
"yad --file-selection" is the same as "yad --file". It gives the file dialog not the directory dialog.

I`ve seen some of the parsing code you show, it can help for sure. Bash is so temper mental.

pBurn; I`ve always thought a progress bar would be better than the text output.
Something about the CD load display I didn`t quite like either.
It`s been awhile since I`ve used it so I can`t remember what it was.
I`ll be burning a few in the next week, so I`ll post back and let you know.
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013, 14:29    Post subject:  

Hmm just to check are we talking about
yad --file-selection --directory
the directory chooser option?

By the way yad --file give me an unknown option message.

Bash ..one version ignores the trailing '|' in my example, another does not...fun stuff.

My pburn was forked at around version 1.0 so bears little resemblance.
Yes it is a busy log...perhaps it should be warnings/errors only plus a progress bar...

mike
sunburnt

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013, 19:38    Post subject:  

Hummm. Oddly that does work.! Thanks again for the help, now I think yad.filer.dlg is done!

But the help doesn`t indicate that`s how it works. ( What a surprise...)
Code:
File selection options:
  --file                                         Display file selection dialog
  --file-selection                               Alias for --file
  --filename=FILENAME                            Set the filename
  --multiple                                     Allow multiple files to be selected
  --directory                                    Activate directory-only selection
  --save                                         Activate save mode
  --separator=SEPARATOR                          Set output separator character
  --confirm-overwrite=[TEXT]                     Confirm file selection if filename already exists
  --file-filter=NAME | PATTERN1 PATTERN2 ...     Sets a filename filter

I was thinking Bash is portable, but then again... So how to fix that?

pBurn: As usual, I suggest a tabbed interface, they`re most easily accessible.
The front panel is the burn control and progress, the back panel is log display.

Most CLI utilities ( vobcopy, etc. ) seem to use 2> for outputing progress.
Code:
vobcopy ( args.) > /tmp/vobcopy.info
percent=`cat /tmp/vobcopy.info |sed '$!d;s#^.*(##;s#).*$##'`
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013, 20:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
Most CLI utilities ( vobcopy, etc. ) seem to use 2> for outputing progress.

hmm yes I noticed that with a quick test of cdrecord... oh well .

The help may slightly lie at times Very Happy
--file Display file selection dialog
--file-selection Alias for --file
perhaps this is the case in a later version...

Hmm iirc the problem with a tabbed log was no way to have a log monitoring a file in gtkdialog.

Hmm it was bash 3.0 (puppy 4.12) that left the ! and 3.1 is fine...these are older versions so perhaps can be ignored.... I used ${ITEM%!*} which does nothing if the ! is not present.

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 08 Oct 2013, 19:11    Post subject:  

One to jiggle at

gtkdialog4 built on puppy 4.12..... just shows yer can

only needs libgio if not present.

not bad for a senile non programmer Wink

mike
gtkdialog4-pup4.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  gtkdialog4-pup4.tar.gz 
Filesize  90.18 KB 
Downloaded  203 Time(s) 
sunburnt

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2013, 14:00    Post subject:  

Back porting again are we.? Wink

Building apps. is different than programming, though there`s many similar tasks.
Same with O.S. design and work, but programming is the glue to stick it together.

Puppy-4.xx sure has hung around awhile, must be significantly smaller I guess.
Newer Puppies should run well on old PCs I think, but maybe not so...
I never had much luck with the 4 series on my old Semperon and Pentium-D.
I was glad when the 5 series Lupu / Lucid Puppies came along.

# Good to hear from you Mike.!

If you make lots of apps., perhaps you would be willing to share app. dep. lists.?
My current problem is the endless building of dep. package lists for Ubuntu Pups.

The easiest way would be to dump all the libs. into a dir. and use ldd to list them.
But this would only work for me, it`d be a pain in the arse for everyone to do.

Each distro. lists deps. by their packages. Not a very easy way to build apps.
So I`m making dep. URL lists for each app., for each distro. release.
The releases mostly remain the same, but some apps. change deps. occasionally.

# I`m working on Virtual Apps.
Download and run the file and it gets the packages straight from Ubuntu. No hosting.
They`re small ( ~ 100+ KB zipped ), so they can be posted anywhere. ( Like here...)
mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2013, 15:48    Post subject:  

Not so much back porting as side porting.
amazing how dependency needs diminish with a bit of tweaking...not only versions but quantity too. eg mplayer normally is built with a need for the painfully obsolete libsambaclient (its all done in the kernel now) which is an instant 5mb+ hit for no real use..(erm I just click on a networked file...isn't it supposed to be a transparent file system?)
Another one is debian in particular force unneeded minimum versions for such as glibc...not one thats fun to replace.

As for this one it seems older users are supposed to mess about with major core transplants for the sake of a little gui so I thought i would give it a curious shot. The only change was to rename 2 deprecated function names in one source file...the functions remain the same....more of that gtk2 fun really. Does have some shiny features I noticed and a drop in replacement for gtkdialog3 so the new maintainer does seem to be doing a nice friendly job.

4.12...mine rolls in at under 100MB with gimp, pidgin, vlc and firefox and the usual stuff though I must mention I transplanted a slax6 kernel many moon ago... was not keen on those 4 series kernels. Does mean a bundle of slax modules can be loaded on the fly too..... I just replaced those horrible drive icons with a gtkdesklet special too.... anyway I am digressing.

programming... something I did in machine code yonks ago... oh and php..I get on with that......the scripty stuff as you know,....flash action script....a driver in c to talk to smart batteries via the printer port.....

Hey I even wrote my own bitmap printer driver for a commadore 128 using pokes to bung it into place.
C...just hacking...I got to backport a usb soundcard driver from the 3 kernels to work in 2 series/alsa 1.0.20.
But its a primative language...not one I can look at a problem and create a solution as I can in other languages....

First programming BASIC on yer TRS-80 in the shop as a spotty teen.... though it all a bit boring and carried on delving into hardware lol...oh well who needs money anyway Very Happy

I think we lurk in different corners of the forum most of the time....thats why I post here now and then.

Actually slightly on topic I tried yad as a log file monitor with pburn but got a mysterious 100% cpu usage but only with that combination...its fine with other binaries but the output from cdrecord sent it doo-lally. Someone suggested Xdialog but that does not scroll properly for the job. I went back to gtklogfileviewer but it was odd as it was not a hard 100% cpu...it seemed to simply use up idle cycles as fifo buffering of cdrecord was not affected.

ok long post over

Mike
sunburnt

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 14:58    Post subject:  

What part of the forum do you frequent? I`m usually asking Qs in Programming of course.

So many things need fixing, and little is done about any of it.
No wonder Linux is declining. But I haven`t seen Android for the desktop yet, sooo...
They do have those convert-a-tablets, I guess they just intend to create a new PC.

I`ve got a post about getting SpaceFM to work like RoxFiler and recognize RoxApps.
I`ll get the click-to-run part working, but the RoxApp icon may be hard to do.

There`s a lot of chatter about directions for Puppy, I suggested forming dev. groups.
Barry`s working on a Ubuntu specific Puppy builder. I think it`s a good idea considering.
A Q Mike... What do you think about all this, and what plans if any do you have.?
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2013, 11:27    Post subject:  

I suppose my main area is where new users to linux fall in ... I like to help and encourage regardless of what they end up using .... just realising we do have choices is a good start. Having played with puppy since version 1 I hope I have accumulated some useful general knowledge on that subject too.
Otherwise I nosy around for ideas and join in sometimes.

I tried getting in to the dev side posting fixes and such but found the lack of organisation/interest in such things too frustrating. The joke of a bugtracker was my last straw (you remember it?) where bugs were called 'features' Very Happy

But others get similar ideas so I can sometimes help with their inspirations.

puppyfied ubuntu eh...well I have added several puppy bits to slax but would never call it puppy...
Puppy is a great place to learn...how to and how not too. Reminds me of the yamahas I used to constantly tinker with to improve....(their early 4 strokes were a bit erm dubious)
Actually after several years of puppy I still find fixes and improvements I can make... on slax I have never had to once fix its boot wrappers/structure and only added the save to archive feature which took a few lines of script. Of course making xfce4 how I want it and updates of the binaries still go on but thats more to do with linux in general ( slackware does not to me make for a good source of binaries) Building around a well written core makes for a boring but reliable life. Smile

Retired barry? well the last time that happened Lucid appeared... a brief one before that was 4.21 and dpup so another wonder puppy might be on the way.... no doom and gloom really. Its important to sail up the right river.

Tablets...well on the bigger picture the PC to many consumers became an unreliable power and money guzzling behemoth bogged down by self destructive software ... to a user a tablet may be limited but at least it does the job reliably in comparison. We know better and can make yer IBM pc put a mac to shame but a small minority are we...a similar small minority can even make windows fly reliably too so the saying that comes to mind is 'be the change you want to see'.
Low power x86 compatible boards are one branch thats of interest...with the right system its a winning combination especially if your use of a computor goes beyond you tube , emails and facebook.... ie that huge world of creative software floating around out there.... an area where yer tablets don't quite provide the goods.. Of course such hardware gets the most benefit from optimising ... my hatred of any form of bloat comes in there.

Well you did ask Smile

mike
sunburnt

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2013, 13:11    Post subject:  

Yes I did Mike. Most of it reflects my own thoughts.
My experience also, few folks seem interested in focused efforts for solid improvements.
Debian when they`re heading for a release, they have a week long bug swatting effort.

Bugs as features, I thought M$ had the market cornered on that concept.! Laughing

My "recurring" Puppy bafoo today was adding an SFS and having to rebuild my desktop.
Really... Every time you make a change in the union stack structure it destroys the desktop.?
It`s just stupid and Puppy defeating to leave crap like this from generation to generation.

And Puppy not being able to handle changing desktop/wm properly for many of them.
But part of it`s the folks making the various packages, and the rest is poor old Puppy itself.

Yeah, that and many other reasons are why I think Ubuntu as a Puppy base is a good idea.
It solves a whole host of these problems that obviously aren`t going to be solved here. Ever.
There`s Debian and Slackware, but I think Ubuntu is more progressive and main stream.

True, announced retirement may be yet another ruse. But I think he`s serious in thought.
It may be "testing the waters" to see how the community responds, and if there really is one.

Tablets will probably replace desktops, when they have more power and better O.S.s.
For desktop use you`ll still need a keyboard and a big monitor, and maybe a mouse.

Parting shot: I really would like to see Barry create a targeted Ubuntu to Puppy builder.
Not just the generic builders he`s made, but one focused on the latest Ubuntu releases.
This would allow a number of folks to continue creating up-to-date Puppies for awhile.

# Always good talking to you Mike. Terry B.
Page 6 of 7 [97 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: