How to save settings with a diskless client?

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
seaside

#16 Post by seaside »

Benno_fra_DK,

Another approach would be to tar compress /initrd/pup_rw and then install it on the pupmainxxx.sfs file.

Code: Select all

cd /initrd/pup_rw
tar -cvzf pupsave.tgz *
Then send pupsave.tgz to the pupmainxxx.sfs file location and use an SFS editor (Edit-SFS is one) to open the pupmainxxx.sfs file. The editor will create a "working tree" which will be the top level where pupsave.tgz should be extracted. After installing pupsave.tgz, the new sfs file including the pupsave.tgz files will be built.

Cheers,
s

mikeb

#17 Post by mikeb »

Hmm all sounding familiar sunburnt
Puppy has a flag file for Xwin failure at boot, there may be others too.
This will show the [ Ignore ] [ Ram Boot ] options at each boot.
Indeed and that's way saving normally occurs after X has been killed. There is/was a live backup script that did deal with such problems.

Question that popped up in my head.... does pxe booting have the possibility of loading an sfs either within or outside the initrd.gz

I suppose the other way is to rewrite pxe in puppy to load files in a more conventional way ... ie establish network then load files as if on a local drive

mike

seaside

#18 Post by seaside »

mikeb wrote:Hmm all sounding familiar sunburnt
Puppy has a flag file for Xwin failure at boot, there may be others too.
This will show the [ Ignore ] [ Ram Boot ] options at each boot.
Indeed and that's way saving normally occurs after X has been killed. There is/was a live backup script that did deal with such problems.

mike
mikeb,

Yes, there are those "first boot" flag files which I think are saved in /var/local. I guess you could just copy these from an existing save file.

Regards,
s

sunburnt

#19 Post by sunburnt »

Yep, I`ll bet there`s boot variables that are being messed up.

As I suggested, you should try the Puppy menu remaster, and then look for others.

raffy

remaster

#20 Post by raffy »

A remaster with your new settings will give you a new pupXXX.sfs, which you then build into newinitrd.gz.

There is a stage in the remaster when you are asked to inspect /tmp/root (for the contents of the new /root) as well as /tmp/etc. In both cases, you should update /tmp/root and /tmp/etc with your new files - a radical approach is simply copy over /root to /tmp and /etc to /tmp when that question is asked.

In your pxelinux.cfg, you can add different initrd.gz and kernel builds, much like using grub entries (each set has a different label). For example, you may have an English build and a local language build.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Ted Dog

#21 Post by Ted Dog »

Benno_fra_DK wrote:BTW - I only want to save settings once. I just want to boot up the same session on every startup.
Oh, try my sloppy remaster,

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 327#690327

sunburnt

#22 Post by sunburnt »

Excellent Ted Dog; Thank you for coming forward.

Configuring Kiosk`s and the like is a common requirement for PXE booting.