Getting newest quickpet and best repositories.

For groups of packages that don't all fall under the same category
glore2002

Getting newest quickpet and best repositories.

#1 Post by glore2002 »

Hello! Since new to Puppy (and beginning to love it) I am trying to set a good configuration to keep updated.

I am running Puppy Linux Slacko 64 PAE.

Where can I find the latest QuickPet package and What are the best repositories for Puppy Package Manager?

In other words... What do you do and what do you use guys to keep your system updated and having access to the latest software packages?

Thanks for such a valuable help!

Glore2002.-

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Peeps usually expect waaay too much from Pup. Based on your requests, tell us which distro you're coming from?

glore2002

#3 Post by glore2002 »

Semme wrote:Peeps usually expect waaay too much from Pup. Based on your requests, tell us which distro you're coming from?
Right now I am coming from Win. Before that, I've tried Linux Mint, Ubuntu and long ago Slackware.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

First understand that Slacko 64 is in development.
So, there are not going to be many additional program packages available specifically for Slacko 64.
What are the best repositories for Puppy Package Manager?
The ones that have Puppy in their names

With Puppy, you need to stop thinking, I must have the latest and greatest version of some program.
In Puppy, it is more about, does a program work and give you all the function you need from it.
If yes be happy.

However, if it still must be a problem for you to have the newest version.

For the most part updating programs is a manual operation.
You find a newer version.
Download and install.

Additional Software section of this forum is the best place to look.

Some more common Linux programs, like browsers and such, have internal update ability. Firefox, etc...

Versions of Puppy get updated when the developer decides to release a newer version.
Some developers may offer some type of update program in their version of Puppy.
Example:
Slacko 5.7 has Update Manager.
Tahrpup 6.0 has Quickpet->iInfo->Tahrpup bug fixes

If using a version of Puppy that does not offer an update program.
Best to get stuff using the Puppy Package Manager (PPM) or using pet packages you get from this forum or other Puppy specific web sites.

Example:
Tahrpup 6.0's PPM can get programs from Ubuntu repositories.
It has option to check for dependencies to also download.
You will quickly find out that those Ubuntu programs will require many added dependencies to run in Puppy.
The thing is you can probably find a Puppy pet package for the same program and it will be smaller than the program package from the Ubuntu repository.
The Puppy way Shocked

Puppy is Linux, but it does do many things the Puppy way.
Programs packaged for other types of Linux operating systems or for Linux in general, basically may or may not work in Puppy.
Stuff you get specifically compiled in Puppy, for Puppy, is usually heavily modified for the Puppy way of doing things.

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

Upgrading from one version of a specific named Puppy, to the next version, really depends on how you have it installed.
Example:
Slacko 5.6 to Slacko 5.7.

There is info here on how to do the upgrade:
Various ways to install puppy
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60302
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

Newest quickpet cannot be

#6 Post by Pelo »

Qt will renew the apps menu a little bit. I agree on that developers should improve apps instead of improve distros. The final steps are the apps. Using a kernel or another to finish to the same apps as Lucid, where is the progress ?