Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 02:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
FatdogArm [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
mavrothal

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 16:24    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
My busybox is from git July 2013; patched with guess_fstype applet patch you can find from the Programming thread (from Ibidem);

I guess you are referring to the guess_fs applet.
If so do you also link guess_fstype to guess_fs for the puppy init to work or you change the init?

jamesbond

PostPosted: Mon 19 Aug 2013, 21:32    Post subject:  

Mav,

I don't do either, in fact I changed the patch to rename the applet to guess_fstype; the patches are attached.

This is the version of busybox that I use as the base for these patches; http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/?id=cd8eece88ed6da58209a18a8c3edac73eab27e1c ; they have moved on quite a bit after that (e.g the fixed the awk bug; they also included f2fs detection now, etc).

cheers!
bb-1.22-guess_fstype-applet.patch.gz
Description  guess-fstype applet patch
gz

Download 
Filename  bb-1.22-guess_fstype-applet.patch.gz 
Filesize  2.89 KB 
Downloaded  132 Time(s) 
bb-1.22-awk-bug.patch.gz
Description  fix function with empty body
gz

Download 
Filename  bb-1.22-awk-bug.patch.gz 
Filesize  318 Bytes 
Downloaded  128 Time(s) 

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 20 Aug 2013, 00:36    Post subject:  

jamesbond wrote:
Mav,

I don't do either, in fact I changed the patch to rename the applet to guess_fstype; the patches are attached.

This is the version of busybox that I use as the base for these patches; http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/?id=cd8eece88ed6da58209a18a8c3edac73eab27e1c ; they have moved on quite a bit after that (e.g the fixed the awk bug; they also included f2fs detection now, etc).

cheers!

Ah, OK.
You have to try to upstream it. With the current HEAD fails badly without it you miss the improvements.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 20 Aug 2013, 02:53    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Ah, OK.
You have to try to upstream it. With the current HEAD fails badly without it you miss the improvements.

Okay, Ibidem said the same thing too. I suppose I should do that Smile
I just tried to apply the guess_fstype patch to the latest busybox-git, it works --- all you need to do is take the "guess_fstype.c" diff itself, and delete the rest of the (now obsolete) diffs. Busybox built cleanly and I've got the guess_fstype applet working.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013, 13:30    Post subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
Got me thinking, you could solve the need of a keyboard / mouse pad if we could get the Mele remote control to function as the OneSwitch (it software has a onscreen keyboard and mouse 'radar') controlled by a single button.

I can confirm now that Mele's remote works as "keyboard" as far as the OS is concerned. The module to load is sun4ir (the name may change, linux-sunxi team is currently restructuring a lot of the kernel stuff). Once loaded, anything you press on the remote will show up as a key ("t", "3", etc) - including the directional arrows. So it's a matter of mapping the scancodes to keycodes using udev rules (keymap) and with the right software to intercept the input, it should be possible to use it for OneSwitch application that you're building.

cheers!

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013, 13:51    Post subject:  

Nice to confirm, now looking into text to speech software that would run on 32bit, 64bit and ARM. That would make the mele1000A the lowest cost entry to provide speech for extremely disabled and a way to get online. That the remote acts like a keyboard solves the remote oneClick idea for people with Cerebral palsy, cords like the oneSwitch uses causes entanglement issues.
Also My Mele1000A runs off of 5v 2A iPhone rechargeable charger, how did you get yours 'battery powered?'
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013, 06:19    Post subject:  

Which version of Aboriginal ARM is used for Mele ? also did you get distccd working with fatdog? If so could you add that host setup into dev.sfs next FD release, its small but VERY useful, I've used it before but am stuck in integrating it with FD.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 04:54    Post subject:  

More teasers. All screenshot taken from Mele connected to HDMI TV.
Of course, this post is posted from Seamonkey running in the Mele itself Smile

Ted Dog wrote:
Nice to confirm, now looking into text to speech software that would run on 32bit, 64bit and ARM.

I think espeak can do that. Its output quality is not the best but decent enough (you can understand 90% of what it says) and its small.

Quote:
That the remote acts like a keyboard solves the remote oneClick idea for people with Cerebral palsy, cords like the oneSwitch uses causes entanglement issues.

Yup, all you need is app like sven or xbindkeys.

Quote:
Also My Mele1000A runs off of 5v 2A iPhone rechargeable charger, how did you get yours 'battery powered?'
I still use the original power supply which is rated 5v 2A too.
The tablet that I put as teaser screenshot runs off 4000mAh battery - I didn't test how long it would last.

Ted Dog wrote:
Which version of Aboriginal ARM is used for Mele ?

I used Aboriginal only to bootstrap the development process - to get the static busybox for initrd and then to get the native compiler going; from then on it's my own toolchain (adapted from LFS 7.1). I used Aboriginal ARMv6 version 1.2.4 for that purpose (the cross-compiler to build the static busybox, and the native compiler to build my own toolchain). See the details in my blog/wiki.

Quote:
also did you get distccd working with fatdog?

I haven't tried that, it's on my TODO list because native compiling is oh so slow ... 18 hours to get Seamonkey built Smile But isn't Aboriginal supposed to help you to do that?
console.jpg
 Description   Boot to console, memory consumption is 13 MB.
 Filesize   63.15 KB
 Viewed   280 Time(s)

console.jpg

mounts.jpg
 Description   List of mounts - showing frugal install in operation (root / is mounted as aufs)
 Filesize   62.86 KB
 Viewed   275 Time(s)

mounts.jpg

xorg.jpg
 Description   Boot into Xorg, running one urxvt terminal, memory consumption: 79MB
 Filesize   115.38 KB
 Viewed   269 Time(s)

xorg.jpg

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 09:35    Post subject:  

When you get distccd setup you will be kicking yourself for not doing it earlier.

The last job I worked major linux based software company, all the computers ran distccd as hosts after work hours and rebuilt company's software overnight using the dozens of basic office PCs. Aboriginal linux has one machine setup. But distccd can run compile jobs on many hosts at the same time its only a few hundred K. But requires some tinkering with local netnames and making sure the originating compiler is enabled, as well as the many hosts. There was a distccd liveCD used in the past that made this easy but is out of date. Crying or Very sad
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 11:56    Post subject:  

current well written Setup

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc

and how to setup a cross compile.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distcc/Cross-Compiling
jamesbond

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 12:16    Post subject:  

Ted Dog, you definitely know a lot more than what you let out Smile

Anyway I though Aboriginal is a way to automate distcc installation too? It comes with matching native- and cross-compilers; a root filesystem that is distcc-ready; so all you need is configuration on the host end, either one or many. I have never used Aboriginal in this configuration (yet) so that's as far as I can say. The main problem with Aboriginal is that it's toolchain is dated (gcc 4.2.1) and many newer software (especially ARM) requires gcc 4.4 at least.

cheers!

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2013, 14:19    Post subject:  

Yes, I wish I could share more, but I have ADHD or whatever version a physically inactive handicapped person would have. So, many unfinished projects and websites not even related to computers.. Embarassed
mavrothal

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2013, 03:23    Post subject: FatDog ARM on XO-4  

Here is a teaser of my own.
Jamesbond's (pre)alpha build of FatDog-ARM running on the XO-4 OLPC laptop (with a modified kernel and initrd).
Needs some work (a lot of) work in the interphase, WiFi, clock, suspend etc, but is a good start.
Thanks jamesbond!
XO-4_ARMedDog.jpg
 Description   FatDog-ARM on XO-4
 Filesize   165.11 KB
 Viewed   207 Time(s)

XO-4_ARMedDog.jpg

jamesbond

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2013, 12:03    Post subject:  

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2013, 21:52    Post subject:  

Hey wait how did he get a copy of the pre-Alpha.... JB! Crying or Very sad I promise to not be too judgmental just want to compile the different speech engines before committing to one package...
Page 2 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: