Puppy VOIP communications extension

Using applications, configuring, problems
Smithy

Puppy VOIP communications extension

#1 Post by Smithy »

Well there is Puppy Phone, which has been worked on to perfection by Smokey and James Bond, and you need an account with a remote hard drive/server somewhere.

Has anyone tried Hamichi http://www.filehippo.com/download_hamachi/
I think that is a windows one, but there is a linux one somewhere?
There are loads of them..but which one...

And could this be used with Puppy Phone or I Hear U http://ihu.sourceforge.net/ as a quick and dirty
voip with no servers involved?

Looking to make a little comms suite that covers all bases i.e someone who has no knowledge or inclination to mess with their router, so a nat traversing ip to ip direct connection to talk.

The proposed sequence involved would be:
1. Boot Puppy
2. Connect
3. Load Hamichi
4. Load I Hear U or Puppy Phone
5. Enter IP number of recipient.
6. Start Conversation.

Before I start on it I wanted to know if anyone has been there and found it is a waste of time or doesn't work properly or that there is something that already exists in Puppy or can be petted up or subverted to do the same as above (ip to ip nat traversal simplicity).

EDIT: Just read u need some logmein account, so it probably isn't true serverless

http://www.marksanborn.net/howto/bypass ... sh-tunnel/
Last edited by Smithy on Sat 17 Aug 2013, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

One problem with direct peer-to-peer VOIP is finding out the correct IP addresses to use. For instance, depending on how I go about it I get two different results when I look for my IP address, with no idea which one will work for VOIP. Is the one I get when I google "what is my IP address" the right one? I think this is a good reason to use an intervening pass-through server.
So I would say that for a direct P2P VOIP application to be successful it needs to include a way to find the correct IP address of its computer, so that that IP address can be sent to the person you want to talk to.
Well, I guess there is another problem: finding someone I want to talk to badly enough to be worth this much trouble. :lol:

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Well, I guess there is another problem: finding someone I want to talk to badly enough to be worth this much trouble. :lol:
Good point Flash, but you never know :wink:

Yes, I think that multiple addresses thing is a problem, there are private ip and public ip and it is a source of problems for this type of communication.

Also there are still parts of the globe where connections (for whatever reason) are bandwidth limited, and these places have been served very well by little direct ip to ip apps.

I won't go into the dystopian utopia that is skype, but it was funny when I did use it and I could actually hear someone conversing faintly in the background. Maybe they have fixed that particular feature now, amazing to think that digital apparatus can emulate the old crossed line behaviour of analogue lines. Anyway it was breaking up as the person kept dropping down to gprs, so pretty rubbish.

So do these ekiga and similar severs store your conversations (in data)?
I don't really like the sound of that, even if I am only sharing cooking recipes, or demoing a song idea with someone.