Pet-based puppies

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
koulaxizis

Pet-based puppies

#1 Post by koulaxizis »

Are Wary & Racy the only recent originally pet-based Puppies?

Precise and Slacko (I LOVE Slacko) are really great - and i recently tried wheezy-3.5.2.7, very nice too - but i'd like to also use (and compile for) more "authentic" Puppies.

Maybe i'm wrong, i'm not even sure about the future of the pet-based versions, but i wanted to share this thought with you...
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

mini-jaguar

#2 Post by mini-jaguar »

I think you don't mean pet-based, but not using the binaries of other distros. Woof-based, you mean. All recent Puppies use .pet packages, Racy and Wary included.

Saluki and Carolina are based on Wary, by the way. And Quirky has experimental features.

koulaxizis

#3 Post by koulaxizis »

mini-jaguar wrote:I think you don't mean pet-based, but not using the binaries of other distros. Woof-based, you mean. All recent Puppies use .pet packages, Racy and Wary included.

Saluki and Carolina are based on Wary, by the way. And Quirky has experimental features.
That's exactly what i meant! :oops: Thank you for the information! :)
[b]Christos Koulaxizis[/b]
[i]Woof woof from Greece![/i]

[color=darkred][url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppystuff/][ Puppy Stuff Repository ][/url][/color]

Volhout

#4 Post by Volhout »

I think your question is "what is the main stream puppy". For me it is Lucid 5.28-005, but that is not the most recent puppy.

So I can't answer that one... Multiple flavors. There currently is an ubuntu based series (Precise 5.7.1 now) from Barry K himself. And there is Slacko 5.6 now from 01micko. These 2 are the ones that show up in Distrowatch release table when you look under puppy linux, so I assume they are main stream.

Then there is Pesamu'e UPUP series (and DPUP) but these are not officially released on distrowatch, and it may be that Pesamu does a lot of the "ground work" for Barry's Precise (and Raring) series.

AFAIK the older Wary and Racy products are being "replaced" by the Precise series from Barry K. I am not sure if they will be maintained although some people ask for maintenance.

Then there are puppy derivatives that also are at distrowatch, but these are pure derivatives.
i.e.
- Carolina
- Simplicity
- Macpup (nice, you should try that one).

And there may be more.

Regards,

Volhout

mini-jaguar

#5 Post by mini-jaguar »

I think I may not have expressed it correctly, the woof-based Puppies are the ones with binaries from other distros, so koulaxizis was actually looking for non-woof-based Puppies.

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

Kuolaxizis !

I would suggest to run woof self to see at least it's gui .
There are many options there .

It is possible to build a Puppy by pets IIRC .
It is possible to use local repos on your local machine .
If you have bandwidth restrictions using BroadBand , then up to 1GB download you should calculate .