Encrypted Pup save - Maximum password length

Booting, installing, newbie
puppyfan82

Encrypted Pup save - Maximum password length

#1 Post by puppyfan82 »

I'm trying to create an encrypted pup save file in Precise Puppy 5.7.1. I'm using a 33 character password(I know, overkill :)). But this does not work. Is there any limit for this?

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

What doesn't work, the passwd entry? Not visible aboard Linux.

Which file system did you choose? Anything but ext2- no good.

Karl Godt

Re: Encrypted Pup save - Maximum password length

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

puppyfan82 wrote:I'm trying to create an encrypted pup save file in Precise Puppy 5.7.1. I'm using a 33 character password(I know, overkill :)). But this does not work. Is there any limit for this?
likely 32bit : 0-31
but the kernel compiles name can be up 63 chars .
Otherwise needs to look into losetup source .

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Now I see.. There's no max. Sure, you see the passwd entry during creation- fine.

Whatcha gotta do when it's time to sign on is type blind.. Nix won't display chars.

puppyfan82

#5 Post by puppyfan82 »

Yes. The file system is ext2 and I'm aware of the characters not being displayed while entering the password. I also know I'm entering the right password. So I'm guessing only a part of the password is used as the key while creating the save file?

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

If you've created a passwd over 29 characters, say, as in my case, 35.. she'll appear to load with a 29 char minimum. Anything less fails. More but incomplete, she drops into a kernel panic. If it's 33, you'll need 33. In other words, regardless the chosen length, you'll need'm all for a successful boot. What you might be doing wrong?? Make a new passwd..