[FINISHED] CompizPup - an experiment

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
SFR

#31 Post by SFR »

Hey Peebee

Thanks for checking out those issues.
As for icons and trash I owe you an apology - I just re-checked and both work fine indeed. I think I screwed something up the other (late) night while I was toggling between your and mine builds (most likely I mixed your original SFS'es with my custom setup pet).
True, they don't work in Compiz-ROX mode, but this, of course, has nothing to do with your vanilla package. Sorry. :oops:
Well, it only proves that your build IS practically perfect. :D

Regarding network_tray - perhaps it takes so long in my case, because I have ethernet connection (SNS, not Frisbee)..?

PS. Since then no new problems have surfaced, everything runs smooth & beautiful!

Thanks again &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

peebee

More testing results

#32 Post by peebee »

Hi Sfr

More testing results....

Did a very quick check (created 3 files, then deleted them) using Rox from the menu under Compiz with Nimbus theme. I had no rox crashing problems - should I try a more "complicated" test?

If you want to make Rox the file manager instead of pcmanfm then the "clean" way to do it is:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/bin
mv rox lx-rox        (in case you need to revert back)
mv Rox rox
ln -s rox Rox
Then right click on the panel and edit the Application Launcher widget to replace pcmanfm with Rox.

Also tried the desktop_drive_icons-0.0.5-0-i686-slacko5.5 pet under both the OOTB LxPup+Compiz and also having made Rox the file manager as above - both worked as expected and hoped - icon on all 4 compiz desktops with no program shown in tray.

You're right about the difference between openbox and emerald - there is a tray program showing in openbox - I'll probably include a tailored version of desktop-drive-icons in the next iso with your fix - many thanks.

Screenie shows desktop icons in use on system modified to rox as above.

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(110.87 KiB) Downloaded 2280 times
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

SFR

#33 Post by SFR »

Hi Peebee
I had no rox crashing problems - should I try a more "complicated" test?
Well, ROX may crash even on 5-10th attempt. Interesting, that it happens only with Compiz (clean LXDE or e.g. JWM + Nimbus are fine).
I guess it may have something to do with "timings" - perhaps Compiz introduces some kind of delays what leads to "resource temporarily unavailable". It's only a speculation, but in VBox it happens every single time (see attached, short video), what seems to support the above thesis.
But like I said, it's a minor issue. :wink:
If you want to make Rox the file manager instead of pcmanfm[...]
Oh yeah, thanks - I've reverted the original "rox" script, but I'm keeping PCManFM on the panel, because in some situations it's lot more comfortable than ROX.

Have a nice day &
Greetings!
Attachments
vid.avi.gz
Please remove fake .gz extension.
(118.52 KiB) Downloaded 851 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

peebee

#34 Post by peebee »

I've posted a version of desktop-drive-icons modded with SFR's openbox changes on the LxPup13.10 thread.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stevielee

Response to peebee

#35 Post by stevielee »

I have only recently been playing with GUI modifications - after trying to learn more fundamentals on Linux - Puppy or otherwise. After learning how to manipulate pinboards/desktops, file managers, window managers, etc., I thought I had a nice setup, but I am totally blown away by peebee's and others' work on the LxPup-on-Slacko/Compiz union - this is truly beautiful and so easy to use! This is very much in the vein of what was described elsewhere on the forum such as here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75132. I can put this on my mum's computer without her longing for windows or - I shudder to even speak of this - her longing for APPLE! I say "NO" to the Apple Tax and the brainwashing of hundreds of millions who pay twice the price so they can use a computer made for stupid people! I salute you all, you Linux gearheads, who make such awesome interfaces for those of us who can't!

Steven

peebee

Update

#36 Post by peebee »

17-nov-2013

Updated to bring into line with LxPup13.11 ....

- the LxPup-by-SFS sfs (to version "04")
- the setup pet for LxPup-by-SFS (to version "041")
- the setup pet for LxPup13.11

@stevielee - many thanks for feedback

Cheers
peebee

stevielee

Hate to say this, but....

#37 Post by stevielee »

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I tried to get your updated version to work, but no luck. I followed the instructions in post #1 exactly using the newest (after Nov. 17) versions of the two sfs files and the setup pet. I used a new (RAM mode) load of Slacko 5.6 and did the sfs-load-on-the-fly in the order given in the five-step sequence in your post. When I ran the setup pet, it ran, but it gave the response that it failed to install. I tried several times with and without a savefile loaded, but I got the same result. What is odd is that this whole thing worked with the last version - around late October - and worked on the first try. I don't know what is wrong, but no one else has reported a problem. Am I doing something wrong?

Steven

peebee

Setup pet was somehow corrupted

#38 Post by peebee »

stevielee wrote: but it gave the response that it failed to install. Am I doing something wrong? Steven
Hi Steven

Sorry for this - the pet was corrupted - no idea how as it was also corrupted on my hard disk - anyway I've uploaded the latest version - and then downloaded and tested it this time.

Cheers
Peter

stevielee

Getting back to you...

#39 Post by stevielee »

Hi there -

Sorry for the delayed response, but I was away. Anyhoo, I tried the new setup pet and everything works fine now. I feel better now that I was not making a silly mistake. Thanks for your prompt attention and your work on adapting the LX/Compiz interface to Slacko.

Steven

peebee

Setup pet for LxPup14.02

#40 Post by peebee »

Updated 20-feb-2014

Download the setup pet for use with LxPup14.02 (Slacko 'flavour' only)

Install it onto LxPup after having installed the Compiz (with Python) sfs - md5sum= 4c20a5596e55ab401362c8f6aefb6922 - c.17Mb

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Thu 20 Feb 2014, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

wrayc

compiz slacko lx pup 1402

#41 Post by wrayc »

i got a message that my "intel" drivers are not supported

only amd/nvidia/ati drivers

is there work around?

thanks

p.s.

I have used compiz before on this computer with other distros
I fresh installed the lxpup-14.02-s-4G-190214.iso
then installed compiz pythonlxpup 8.8 sfs with on the fly
then installed lxpup 14.02 compiz setup pup
saved file and rebooted
initially i saw the ccsm menu
but no longer after reboot

peebee

Re: compiz slacko lx pup 1402

#42 Post by peebee »

wrayc wrote:i got a message that my "intel" drivers are not supported

only amd/nvidia/ati drivers

is there work around?

thanks

p.s.

I have used compiz before on this computer with other distros
I fresh installed the lxpup-14.02-s-4G-190214.iso
then installed compiz pythonlxpup 8.8 sfs with on the fly
then installed lxpup 14.02 compiz setup pup
saved file and rebooted
initially i saw the ccsm menu
but no longer after reboot
Hi

Just tested it on my HP laptop with Intel graphics and it all worked as expected.

I don't know where the message you mention would have come from as there is no driver checking in my sfs or pet - can you take a screen shot when it appears?

Your setup sequence all looks correct - can you check the md5's of the downloads:

LxPup-14.02-s-4g-190214.iso - 387bfe86d5a0466234e1ce4d10319220
compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs - 4c20a5596e55ab401362c8f6aefb6922
lxpup14.02_compiz_setup.pet - a66bcec9ca1651cd6c2dcf21167d417c

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest as it works OK for me....

Cheers
peebee

wrayc

#43 Post by wrayc »

thanks so much for your prompt reply

I reinstalled from live cd to usb

then it seemed to work fine

the first install was using unetbootin

so, now what i'm dealing with is wonky stuff happening to my panels?

namely, icons disappearing and occasionally the entire panel will vanish when I right click on it and I'm left with completely blank desktop
whatever windows that are open are fine
but i'm unable launch anything else as the menu is gone
so I do a forced shut down and restart
when it reboots my panels come back,
but most icons still missing,
particularly from the system tray

anyway
loving this distro
it has fit and finish as good as any distro
simply amazing

wrayc

thanks again
Hi

Just tested it on my HP laptop with Intel graphics and it all worked as expected.

I don't know where the message you mention would have come from as there is no driver checking in my sfs or pet - can you take a screen shot when it appears?

Your setup sequence all looks correct - can you check the md5's of the downloads:

LxPup-14.02-s-4g-190214.iso - 387bfe86d5a0466234e1ce4d10319220
compiz_python_lxpup-0.8.8.sfs - 4c20a5596e55ab401362c8f6aefb6922
lxpup14.02_compiz_setup.pet - a66bcec9ca1651cd6c2dcf21167d417c

Other than that I'm not sure what to suggest as it works OK for me....

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#44 Post by peebee »

wrayc wrote:so, now what i'm dealing with is wonky stuff happening to my panels?
namely, icons disappearing and occasionally the entire panel will vanish when I right click on it
Confirmed - you have identified a real problem - this seems to be a problem with the version R694 of LxPanelX in LxPup14.02 which is SegFaulting in this configuration - it can be fixed by reverting to the R606 version used in LxPup13.11.

I can upload the R606 pet but I should probably reissue the setup pet to include the fix.

Cheers
peebee

wrayc

#45 Post by wrayc »

Wow,

truly impressed

I have distro hopped for like 4 years now and have never seen such a helpful and dedicated forum

at least now I know its not just me and save me the trouble of trouble shooting this or that

thanks again

wrayc
Confirmed - you have identified a real problem - this seems to be a problem with the version R694 of LxPanelX in LxPup14.02 which is SegFaulting in this configuration - it can be fixed by reverting to the R606 version used in LxPup13.11.

I can upload the R606 pet but I should probably reissue the setup pet to include the fix.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

Updated setup pet for LxPup14.02

#46 Post by peebee »

Updated to revert to LxPanelx-r606

Download the setup pet for use with LxPup14.02 (Slacko 'flavour' only)

Suggest - preferably start again with a clean savefile if frugal install or uninstall the previous setup pet before installing this one. Reboot after installation.
Last edited by peebee on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 19:15, edited 2 times in total.

wrayc

re: Updated setup pet for LxPup14.02

#47 Post by wrayc »

Thanks peebee for that

still having issues with icons in the app launcher of lxpanel appearing as default icons after reboot with message "file not found"

i think its related to changing theme etc

another question (off topic sorry)

regarding compiz, I like to set up a hot corner or button to view all windows

I only see option of "expose" that shows workspace overview which I dont use

oh also, any pet to tie my hardware volume control into alsa?

thanks thanks
thanks again

wrayc

re: Updated setup pet for LxPup14.02

#48 Post by wrayc »

update

still having issue post revert to LxPanelx-r606

panels disappeared.

I rebooted without saving and all was well

but my system tray is now MIA

peebee

Re: re: Updated setup pet for LxPup14.02

#49 Post by peebee »

wrayc wrote:update - still having issue
Hi wrayc

Really sorry to hear that you are having problems....
I'm at a bit of a loss to suggest what you could do as I don't really understand your setup or what you are trying to do with Compiz - I'm not a Compiz user myself so I'm not the best person to advise when it comes to Compiz configuration and use.

I think the best I can suggest is that you start again with a clean system and download the previous version of LxPup (13.11) from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/LxPup13.11/
choosing either the s-4g or the s-pae flavours...

then add Compiz as per:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 463#730463

reboot and make a clean savefile and then see how you get on with that.

Quite a lot of things have changed between 13.11 and the pre-release 14.02 that you are using and it may be that something else besides the LxPanel-r694 change is affecting Compiz...

Hope this helps
Cheers
peebee

peebee

#50 Post by peebee »

Something else to try....

I think that maybe LxPanel plays better with Compiz than LxPanelX.

This pet:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... t/download

converts LxPup14.02 to LxPanel

It should be installed after the Compiz sfs has been installed but before this setup pet is installed:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/f ... t/download

Cheers
peebee