Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 01 Oct 2014, 22:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
FatdogArm Alpha [CLOSED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2013, 03:46    Post_subject: screen shot  

Sorry for the noob questions, how do we turn on speeellll checker in seamonkey fatAA, and how about those nice screen captures you'll are posting?

Was able to get 1080p60 working would like to show it off. Cool
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2013, 05:34    Post_subject: Re: screen shot  

Ted Dog wrote:
how about those nice screen captures you'll are posting?

Code:
fbdump > screen.ppm

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2013, 06:37    Post_subject:  

Thanks, for that and replying to my PM. found out how to add spell checker, now to change the search from UK to US and away from google.
I've been playing with this all day & night, its 5:40am local time may even see the sunrise twice without sleeping, the good place for breakfast tacos (its a TexMex thang, like I can't eat eggs without salsa any more, I have to take salsa packets with me, outside of TX,New Mexico, and south Arizona they do not have it available morning time ) opens in 20 minutes!
jamesbond

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2013, 08:20    Post_subject:  

01mick wrote:
Got Fatdog Arm booting on the Pandora Smile (600MHz TI omap3 model, 512MB RAM)

Mick, wow!!! That's a blazing progress !!!

Quote:
Good news, html5 video works perfectly, no noticeable lag, but the sound from those videos fails. My sound is working fine from aplay.
Probably because when I built seamonkey I haven't compiled the audio codecs yet. I have been trying to build Seamonkey 2.20 --- but boy oh boy oh boy 5 tries later and the !@#$$% thing still failed to link for lack of memory. If only I have 1GB on my Mele ...

Quote:
By the way, there are lots of references to "lib64" in /etc/profile, I think I'll replace those

Yes, I notice that too, and they are already done in alpha2 (not yet uploaded). Any more things ? Twisted Evil

starhawk wrote:
it's called a T004

This looks good. The fact it is A10-based and has an SD Card means that it will definitely bootable, and the spec isn't bad too. For FatdogArm to boot on it we only need to find the appropriate "script.bin" for it, which should be easy (if it is already rooted).

Ted Dog wrote:
Redownloaded img file and WOW booted right up this time

Congrats, glad you make it to work!

Quote:
Does wifi work, or the dailup (phone with data plan acts like modem)

I don't haven't included dial-up code yet, missing pppd and wvdial and the scripts, perhaps modeswitch too. I need feedback whether it is useful to include these, as I don't have any hardware to test them.

Quote:
Have a bunch of drives appear nand[a-d,f,g,i] some have lots of space (almost 3Gs) are those usable can I add folders, will it harm Android?

They are the internal NAND flash for your Mele; some contains boot loaders, kernel, android recovery partition, android OS, android data ... feel free to explore and look inside, but don't change unless you know what you're doing. The "data" partition (the one with the largest freespace) is probably safe to use - but if you Mele doesn't boot Android anymore don't come to me ... Smile

Quote:
how do we turn on speeellll checker in seamonkey fatAA

Seamonkey, when compiled with locale *other than en_US*, will not have spell-checker built-in. I discovered it way too late but I wasn't going to re-compile it again when each compile was an 18-hour stint on the Mele. On next seamonkey build I will do it using default en_US locale and then everyone can localise using the langpacks.

Quote:
I've been playing with this all day & night, its 5:40am local time may even see the sunrise twice without sleeping
Take care Ted, you don't want to fall ill because of this Smile But I'm glad that you like it.

cheers!

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Sep 2013, 09:18    Post_subject:  

jamesbond wrote:

Quote:
Good news, html5 video works perfectly, no noticeable lag, but the sound from those videos fails. My sound is working fine from aplay.
Probably because when I built seamonkey I haven't compiled the audio codecs yet.

On the XO-4 WebM/HTML5 video from youtube plays and sounds fine.
Interesting in the official Fedora build and Firefox the same video is like a "slide show". I do not know if it is the gtk3 overhead or somehing else but the difference is striking Very Happy

jamesbond wrote:
Quote:
Does wifi work, or the dailup (phone with data plan acts like modem)

I don't haven't included dial-up code yet, missing pppd and wvdial and the scripts, perhaps modeswitch too. I need feedback whether it is useful to include these, as I don't have any hardware to test them.

Talking about wifi, a connection manager if some short that will not need hard coding and auto connects would be a nice addition. net-setup.sh is almost doing it (no auto connect on boot) but is pretty cumbersome.

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 01:19    Post_subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
On the XO-4 WebM/HTML5 video from youtube plays and sounds fine.
Interesting in the official Fedora build and Firefox the same video is like a "slide show". I do not know if it is the gtk3 overhead or somehing else but the difference is striking Very Happy

I think you fare a lot better than mine (perhaps the dual core helps). Here youtube Webm plays, not quite like slideshow but definitely not watchable. And there is no sound - doesn't matter whether I choose HDMI or audio-out jack (both are fine when I tested with speaker-test).

Mick's shed video suffers the same fate. Interestingly if I downloaded the shed video and played it wifh xine, it played well even in fullscreen (with sound).

jamesbond wrote:
Talking about wifi, a connection manager if some short that will not need hard coding and auto connects would be a nice addition. net-setup.sh is almost doing it (no auto connect on boot) but is pretty cumbersome.

Agree, I have incorporated tinycore's wifi.sh for easy wireless setup and autoconnect at next boot. I have also included ifplugstatus in the main SFS, if it detects that eth0 is plugged it will automatically connect it through udhcpc. Anything more complicated than that (static IP etc) will still require manual configuration at the moment.

cheers.

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 02:16    Post_subject:  

Yep still playing with this during waking hours, I have the mele1000 hooked into my main HDMI HDTV and with my remote keyboard touchpad controller that also doubles as a TV remote can control everything (got HDTV and DishNetwork on one side) and keyboard/touchpad on the other side. Sometime while deciding to bathe or just drive up to window for my breakfast tacos, I fell asleep,
Awoke in the late afternoon making breakfast tacos choice moot. Ended up bathing then going to Sonic, which luckily had a 1/2 price all day sale on 'anglo style' breakfast taco (called a breakfast burrito, by the Sonic menu, but same-old-same) The person who made them folded them correctly so the goodies inside does not plop out, which is how they fold them for breakfast tacos here, not like the sloppy mess they show on the sonic menu. I feel sorry for the rest of the country if made like the menu, half the inside would be dropping out the other side. Razz

OK, sorry about that diversion, back to FatARM

Tried to get the sata harddrive to be shown like the icons for USB but nothing ever appears, I understand they patched that a year ago for MeLe 1000 soI was shocked it was not supported.

Also here is my boot string, I saw that other ideas where given before, is there a setting to not have a multisession loaded into memory, but remain loopmounted on the SD second part. I'm eating up memory fast and never had to worry about it due to the max RAM I install in my other hardware. What changes do I need to do?

Code:
console=tty0
kernel=uImage
initrd=uInitrd
loglevel=3
audio=hdmi.audio=EDID:0
video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60
#root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
#rootwait=rootwait
rootwait=waitdev=3
panicargs=panic=10
#coldplug=
basesfs=basesfs=local
savefile=savefile=direct:multi:mmcblk0p2
extras=sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve sunxi_fb_mem_reserve=8

Yes I dropped back to 1280x720 to much eye strain with the top HD setting, plus need all the RAM. Not sure if changing the last number to 16 used a bunch.

Good work, miss my solitaire game, wonder if it would compile easily for ARM.
also while snooping in the NAND I found dialup and modeswitch tools, wonder if they can just be 'borrowed' back from android.
jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 03:03    Post_subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
I feel sorry for the rest of the country if made like the menu, half the inside would be dropping out the other side. Razz

Well I don't eat tacos that often - but I do remember the last time I did it ended up in a big mess Laughing

Quote:
Tried to get the sata harddrive to be shown like the icons for USB but nothing ever appears, I understand they patched that a year ago for MeLe 1000 soI was shocked it was not supported.
Try modprobing sw_ahci_platform module. See if your SATA drive gets detected after that.

Quote:
Also here is my boot string, I saw that other ideas where given before, is there a setting to not have a multisession loaded into memory, but remain loopmounted on the SD second part. I'm eating up memory fast and never had to worry about it due to the max RAM I install in my other hardware. What changes do I need to do?

Code:
console=tty0
kernel=uImage
initrd=uInitrd
loglevel=3
audio=hdmi.audio=EDID:0
video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60
#root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
#rootwait=rootwait
rootwait=waitdev=3
panicargs=panic=10
#coldplug=
basesfs=basesfs=local
savefile=savefile=direct:multi:mmcblk0p2
extras=sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve sunxi_fb_mem_reserve=8

That setting is for direct savefile access in your SD card, not multisession, this is already the second best in terms of memory usage. If you want to do any better: unsquashfs the fd-arm.sfs to mmcblk0p2 (make sure it is formattted as ext2/3/4) and then comment out the "basesfs" line --- you're basically running (almost) full-install in that mode but still using layers; in this mode there is no difference between your savefile and the fd-arm files anymore, if you delete a file then it will be deleted for good (you can't recover from the basesfs because there is no more basesfs).

Quote:
Yes I dropped back to 1280x720 to much eye strain with the top HD setting, plus need all the RAM. Not sure if changing the last number to 16 used a bunch.
Well 8 means 8MB and 16 means 16MB reserved for framebuffer Smile

Quote:
Good work, miss my solitaire game, wonder if it would compile easily for ARM.
which solitaire game? There are so many variants out there ...
Quote:
also while snooping in the NAND I found dialup and modeswitch tools, wonder if they can just be 'borrowed' back from android.
Unlikely unless you can confirm that android is compiled as hardfloats ... do "readelf -A " on these binaries, if you don't see "Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers" then you're out of luck.

cheers!

Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 03:25    Post_subject:  

here is my multisession ls results from FatdogArm, works fine:

Code:

total 82904
drwxrwx---  2 root root     4096 Sep  4 02:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root       60 Jan  1  2010 ..
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   798554 Aug 22 23:25 hosts
-rwxrwx---  1 root root     4096 Sep  2 19:41 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T19-41+0000-base.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  2 19:41 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T19-41+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root  1077248 Sep  2 19:46 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T19-45+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root  7802880 Sep  2 20:33 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T20-32+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root  9781248 Sep  2 20:53 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T20-52+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root 25686016 Sep  3 00:13 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T00-12+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   196608 Sep  3 00:39 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T00-39+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root 12681216 Sep  3 04:19 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-19+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  3 04:20 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-20+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  3 04:22 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-22+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  3 04:24 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-24+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root 26136576 Sep  3 23:33 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T23-32+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root        0 Sep  4 02:28 test.txt
-rwxrwx---  1 root root      240 Sep  2 10:25 wpa_supplicant.conf

also the name on the fatdog64.pet is AceOfPenguins-1.4.pet and that is my favorite version Wink
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 03:31    Post_subject:  

confirm the modprobe given above works, so would I be able to save/load used this like the unsquash idea above, how do I add this module to the boot loader?
01micko

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 04:22    Post_subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
confirm the modprobe given above works, so would I be able to save/load used this like the unsquash idea above, how do I add this module to the boot loader?

init wrote:
# loadmodules - list of modules to be loaded, comma-separated (default none)

so something like
Code:
loadmodules=loadmodules=first-mod,another-mod
in uEnv.txt

then I guess put in your boot.scr $loadmodules then compile it into boot.cmd

jamesbond

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 06:06    Post_subject:  

Ted Dog wrote:
here is my multisession ls results from FatdogArm, works fine:

Oh, yes I had to miss that "multi" part ... so yeah in multisession all the SFSes are loaded to RAM, there no way to avoid that at the time being (the kernel as compiled has 127 branch limit which will easily be passed if you load all the multisession files directly).

What I said about "second-best" memory usage is that if you use a savefile/savedir directly, that is, savefile=direct:device:xxxx.

01micko wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:

init wrote:
# loadmodules - list of modules to be loaded, comma-separated (default none)

so something like
Code:
loadmodules=loadmodules=first-mod,another-mod
in uEnv.txt

then I guess put in your boot.scr $loadmodules then compile it into boot.cmd
Or you can add the loadmodules parameter as Micko said above to the end of the "extras" line in uEnv.txt (that's a very long line, make sure you don't accidentally break it with a newline) and avoid compiling boot.cmd.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 15:43    Post_subject:  

Any thoughts on this chip set looks right,
http://www.onda-tablet.com/review/product/list/id/380/?p=2

like the price Wink
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 04 Sep 2013, 19:35    Post_subject:  

jamesbond, if I order one of those T004 Android sticks, per my previous post, how would I make FatdogARM work on it? Please bear in mind that I have the sort of programming experience and knowledge that causes make to construct a magic fireworks display when I ask for an application... meaning, of course, a spectacular show that actually accomplishes very little Wink

...oh, and the T004 is almost certainly *not* rooted and I can find out very little info about it -- all the existing 'documentation' seems to be poorly-written sales pitches...

01micko

PostPosted: Thu 05 Sep 2013, 08:43    Post_subject:  

@ starhawk (and Ted Dog)

These are just my thoughts... bear in mind I can compile and hack stuffs..

You need to know certain things about the thing (technical term <--"thing").. that you want to boot FD-A on, such as:

• armv7 arch? .. should go without saying
  • is it sunxi? (if so, good, if not, you definitely need to build a kernel and maybe userspace extras)
  • what wireless/ethernet does it have? (as in chipset, you really need to know what linux module the thing uses, likely need to build a kernel)
  • how does it boot? (uBoot? some other way? likely hacking involved here)
  • is there special drivers the "thing" needs? (touch, other input, etc, likely need to build a kernel/userspace stuffs)
  • firmware, as in proprietary crap that the "thing" depends upon.. these things need to be loaded when the thing boots.
  • probably much more that escapes me ATM

If the answer to any or all of these is "too hard basket", get a mele-A1000 as jamesbond has, else you are pretty much on your own.

I do not want to damper things, just point out the reality.

HTH

Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 5 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum