FatdogArm Alpha [CLOSED]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

screen shot

#31 Post by Ted Dog »

Sorry for the noob questions, how do we turn on speeellll checker in seamonkey fatAA, and how about those nice screen captures you'll are posting?

Was able to get 1080p60 working would like to show it off. 8)

mavrothal

Re: screen shot

#32 Post by mavrothal »

Ted Dog wrote:how about those nice screen captures you'll are posting?

Code: Select all

fbdump > screen.ppm
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

Thanks, for that and replying to my PM. found out how to add spell checker, now to change the search from UK to US and away from google.
I've been playing with this all day & night, its 5:40am local time may even see the sunrise twice without sleeping, the good place for breakfast tacos (its a TexMex thang, like I can't eat eggs without salsa any more, I have to take salsa packets with me, outside of TX,New Mexico, and south Arizona they do not have it available morning time ) opens in 20 minutes!

jamesbond

#34 Post by jamesbond »

01mick wrote:Got Fatdog Arm booting on the Pandora Smile (600MHz TI omap3 model, 512MB RAM)
Mick, wow!!! That's a blazing progress !!! Image
Good news, html5 video works perfectly, no noticeable lag, but the sound from those videos fails. My sound is working fine from aplay.
Probably because when I built seamonkey I haven't compiled the audio codecs yet. I have been trying to build Seamonkey 2.20 --- but boy oh boy oh boy 5 tries later and the !@#$$% thing still failed to link for lack of memory. If only I have 1GB on my Mele ...
By the way, there are lots of references to "lib64" in /etc/profile, I think I'll replace those
Yes, I notice that too, and they are already done in alpha2 (not yet uploaded). Any more things ? :twisted:
starhawk wrote: it's called a T004
This looks good. The fact it is A10-based and has an SD Card means that it will definitely bootable, and the spec isn't bad too. For FatdogArm to boot on it we only need to find the appropriate "script.bin" for it, which should be easy (if it is already rooted).
Ted Dog wrote:Redownloaded img file and WOW booted right up this time
Congrats, glad you make it to work!
Does wifi work, or the dailup (phone with data plan acts like modem)
I don't haven't included dial-up code yet, missing pppd and wvdial and the scripts, perhaps modeswitch too. I need feedback whether it is useful to include these, as I don't have any hardware to test them.
Have a bunch of drives appear nand[a-d,f,g,i] some have lots of space (almost 3Gs) are those usable can I add folders, will it harm Android?
They are the internal NAND flash for your Mele; some contains boot loaders, kernel, android recovery partition, android OS, android data ... feel free to explore and look inside, but don't change unless you know what you're doing. The "data" partition (the one with the largest freespace) is probably safe to use - but if you Mele doesn't boot Android anymore don't come to me ... :)
how do we turn on speeellll checker in seamonkey fatAA
Seamonkey, when compiled with locale *other than en_US*, will not have spell-checker built-in. I discovered it way too late but I wasn't going to re-compile it again when each compile was an 18-hour stint on the Mele. On next seamonkey build I will do it using default en_US locale and then everyone can localise using the langpacks.
I've been playing with this all day & night, its 5:40am local time may even see the sunrise twice without sleeping
Take care Ted, you don't want to fall ill because of this :) But I'm glad that you like it.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

mavrothal

#35 Post by mavrothal »

jamesbond wrote:
Good news, html5 video works perfectly, no noticeable lag, but the sound from those videos fails. My sound is working fine from aplay.
Probably because when I built seamonkey I haven't compiled the audio codecs yet.
On the XO-4 WebM/HTML5 video from youtube plays and sounds fine.
Interesting in the official Fedora build and Firefox the same video is like a "slide show". I do not know if it is the gtk3 overhead or somehing else but the difference is striking :D
jamesbond wrote:
Does wifi work, or the dailup (phone with data plan acts like modem)
I don't haven't included dial-up code yet, missing pppd and wvdial and the scripts, perhaps modeswitch too. I need feedback whether it is useful to include these, as I don't have any hardware to test them.
Talking about wifi, a connection manager if some short that will not need hard coding and auto connects would be a nice addition. net-setup.sh is almost doing it (no auto connect on boot) but is pretty cumbersome.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jamesbond

#36 Post by jamesbond »

mavrothal wrote:On the XO-4 WebM/HTML5 video from youtube plays and sounds fine.
Interesting in the official Fedora build and Firefox the same video is like a "slide show". I do not know if it is the gtk3 overhead or somehing else but the difference is striking :D
I think you fare a lot better than mine (perhaps the dual core helps). Here youtube Webm plays, not quite like slideshow but definitely not watchable. And there is no sound - doesn't matter whether I choose HDMI or audio-out jack (both are fine when I tested with speaker-test).

Mick's shed video suffers the same fate. Interestingly if I downloaded the shed video and played it wifh xine, it played well even in fullscreen (with sound).
jamesbond wrote:Talking about wifi, a connection manager if some short that will not need hard coding and auto connects would be a nice addition. net-setup.sh is almost doing it (no auto connect on boot) but is pretty cumbersome.
Agree, I have incorporated tinycore's wifi.sh for easy wireless setup and autoconnect at next boot. I have also included ifplugstatus in the main SFS, if it detects that eth0 is plugged it will automatically connect it through udhcpc. Anything more complicated than that (static IP etc) will still require manual configuration at the moment.

cheers.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

#37 Post by Ted Dog »

Yep still playing with this during waking hours, I have the mele1000 hooked into my main HDMI HDTV and with my remote keyboard touchpad controller that also doubles as a TV remote can control everything (got HDTV and DishNetwork on one side) and keyboard/touchpad on the other side. Sometime while deciding to bathe or just drive up to window for my breakfast tacos, I fell asleep,
Awoke in the late afternoon making breakfast tacos choice moot. Ended up bathing then going to Sonic, which luckily had a 1/2 price all day sale on 'anglo style' breakfast taco (called a breakfast burrito, by the Sonic menu, but same-old-same) The person who made them folded them correctly so the goodies inside does not plop out, which is how they fold them for breakfast tacos here, not like the sloppy mess they show on the sonic menu. I feel sorry for the rest of the country if made like the menu, half the inside would be dropping out the other side. :P

OK, sorry about that diversion, back to FatARM

Tried to get the sata harddrive to be shown like the icons for USB but nothing ever appears, I understand they patched that a year ago for MeLe 1000 soI was shocked it was not supported.

Also here is my boot string, I saw that other ideas where given before, is there a setting to not have a multisession loaded into memory, but remain loopmounted on the SD second part. I'm eating up memory fast and never had to worry about it due to the max RAM I install in my other hardware. What changes do I need to do?

console=tty0
kernel=uImage
initrd=uInitrd
loglevel=3
audio=hdmi.audio=EDID:0
video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60
#root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
#rootwait=rootwait
rootwait=waitdev=3
panicargs=panic=10
#coldplug=
basesfs=basesfs=local
savefile=savefile=direct:multi:mmcblk0p2
extras=sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve sunxi_fb_mem_reserve=8

Yes I dropped back to 1280x720 to much eye strain with the top HD setting, plus need all the RAM. Not sure if changing the last number to 16 used a bunch.

Good work, miss my solitaire game, wonder if it would compile easily for ARM.
also while snooping in the NAND I found dialup and modeswitch tools, wonder if they can just be 'borrowed' back from android.

jamesbond

#38 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:I feel sorry for the rest of the country if made like the menu, half the inside would be dropping out the other side. :P
Well I don't eat tacos that often - but I do remember the last time I did it ended up in a big mess :lol:
Tried to get the sata harddrive to be shown like the icons for USB but nothing ever appears, I understand they patched that a year ago for MeLe 1000 soI was shocked it was not supported.
Try modprobing sw_ahci_platform module. See if your SATA drive gets detected after that.
Also here is my boot string, I saw that other ideas where given before, is there a setting to not have a multisession loaded into memory, but remain loopmounted on the SD second part. I'm eating up memory fast and never had to worry about it due to the max RAM I install in my other hardware. What changes do I need to do?

console=tty0
kernel=uImage
initrd=uInitrd
loglevel=3
audio=hdmi.audio=EDID:0
video=disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1280x720p60
#root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
#rootwait=rootwait
rootwait=waitdev=3
panicargs=panic=10
#coldplug=
basesfs=basesfs=local
savefile=savefile=direct:multi:mmcblk0p2
extras=sunxi_ve_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_g2d_mem_reserve=0 sunxi_no_mali_mem_reserve sunxi_fb_mem_reserve=8

That setting is for direct savefile access in your SD card, not multisession, this is already the second best in terms of memory usage. If you want to do any better: unsquashfs the fd-arm.sfs to mmcblk0p2 (make sure it is formattted as ext2/3/4) and then comment out the "basesfs" line --- you're basically running (almost) full-install in that mode but still using layers; in this mode there is no difference between your savefile and the fd-arm files anymore, if you delete a file then it will be deleted for good (you can't recover from the basesfs because there is no more basesfs).
Yes I dropped back to 1280x720 to much eye strain with the top HD setting, plus need all the RAM. Not sure if changing the last number to 16 used a bunch.
Well 8 means 8MB and 16 means 16MB reserved for framebuffer :)
Good work, miss my solitaire game, wonder if it would compile easily for ARM.
which solitaire game? There are so many variants out there ...
also while snooping in the NAND I found dialup and modeswitch tools, wonder if they can just be 'borrowed' back from android.
Unlikely unless you can confirm that android is compiled as hardfloats ... do "readelf -A " on these binaries, if you don't see "Tag_ABI_VFP_args: VFP registers" then you're out of luck.

cheers!

Ted Dog

#39 Post by Ted Dog »

here is my multisession ls results from FatdogArm, works fine:

total 82904
drwxrwx---  2 root root     4096 Sep  4 02:28 .
drwxr-xr-x 13 root root       60 Jan  1  2010 ..
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   798554 Aug 22 23:25 hosts
-rwxrwx---  1 root root     4096 Sep  2 19:41 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T19-41+0000-base.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  2 19:41 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T19-41+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root  1077248 Sep  2 19:46 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T19-45+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root  7802880 Sep  2 20:33 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T20-32+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root  9781248 Sep  2 20:53 multi-fdsave-2013-09-02T20-52+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root 25686016 Sep  3 00:13 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T00-12+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   196608 Sep  3 00:39 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T00-39+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root 12681216 Sep  3 04:19 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-19+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  3 04:20 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-20+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  3 04:22 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-22+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root   180224 Sep  3 04:24 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T04-24+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root 26136576 Sep  3 23:33 multi-fdsave-2013-09-03T23-32+0000-save.sfs
-rwxrwx---  1 root root        0 Sep  4 02:28 test.txt
-rwxrwx---  1 root root      240 Sep  2 10:25 wpa_supplicant.conf

also the name on the fatdog64.pet is AceOfPenguins-1.4.pet and that is my favorite version :wink:

Ted Dog

#40 Post by Ted Dog »

confirm the modprobe given above works, so would I be able to save/load used this like the unsquash idea above, how do I add this module to the boot loader?

01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Ted Dog wrote:confirm the modprobe given above works, so would I be able to save/load used this like the unsquash idea above, how do I add this module to the boot loader?
init wrote:# loadmodules - list of modules to be loaded, comma-separated (default none)
so something like

loadmodules=loadmodules=first-mod,another-mod
in uEnv.txt

then I guess put in your boot.scr $loadmodules then compile it into boot.cmd
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jamesbond

#42 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:here is my multisession ls results from FatdogArm, works fine:
Oh, yes I had to miss that "multi" part ... so yeah in multisession all the SFSes are loaded to RAM, there no way to avoid that at the time being (the kernel as compiled has 127 branch limit which will easily be passed if you load all the multisession files directly).

What I said about "second-best" memory usage is that if you use a savefile/savedir directly, that is, savefile=direct:device:xxxx.
01micko wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:confirm the modprobe given above works, so would I be able to save/load used this like the unsquash idea above, how do I add this module to the boot loader?
init wrote:# loadmodules - list of modules to be loaded, comma-separated (default none)
so something like

loadmodules=loadmodules=first-mod,another-mod
in uEnv.txt

then I guess put in your boot.scr $loadmodules then compile it into boot.cmd
Or you can add the loadmodules parameter as Micko said above to the end of the "extras" line in uEnv.txt (that's a very long line, make sure you don't accidentally break it with a newline) and avoid compiling boot.cmd.

Ted Dog

#43 Post by Ted Dog »

Any thoughts on this chip set looks right,
http://www.onda-tablet.com/review/produ ... d/380/?p=2

like the price :wink:

starhawk

#44 Post by starhawk »

jamesbond, if I order one of those T004 Android sticks, per my previous post, how would I make FatdogARM work on it? Please bear in mind that I have the sort of programming experience and knowledge that causes make to construct a magic fireworks display when I ask for an application... meaning, of course, a spectacular show that actually accomplishes very little ;)

...oh, and the T004 is almost certainly *not* rooted and I can find out very little info about it -- all the existing 'documentation' seems to be poorly-written sales pitches...

01micko

#45 Post by 01micko »

@ starhawk (and Ted Dog)

These are just my thoughts... bear in mind I can compile and hack stuffs..

You need to know certain things about the thing (technical term <--"thing").. that you want to boot FD-A on, such as:
  • armv7 arch? .. should go without saying
  • is it sunxi? (if so, good, if not, you definitely need to build a kernel and maybe userspace extras)
  • what wireless/ethernet does it have? (as in chipset, you really need to know what linux module the thing uses, likely need to build a kernel)
  • how does it boot? (uBoot? some other way? likely hacking involved here)
  • is there special drivers the "thing" needs? (touch, other input, etc, likely need to build a kernel/userspace stuffs)
  • firmware, as in proprietary crap that the "thing" depends upon.. these things need to be loaded when the thing boots.
  • probably much more that escapes me ATM
If the answer to any or all of these is "too hard basket", get a mele-A1000 as jamesbond has, else you are pretty much on your own.

I do not want to damper things, just point out the reality.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Ted Dog

#46 Post by Ted Dog »

But I already have a Mele1000A and I do not see it much available anymore with all the extra (computer like goodies VGA etc ) being dropped in later versions.

BTW this is being typed on a MeLe 1000A, have not even turned on my other computers in days! It took the wall plug for my Apple iPhone charger so the Mele is doing double duty as a charger!

Strange that it does not see the iPhone as a USB file like standard puppylinux (I do not recall trying the iPhone with regular FD64, so may not be a bug per-say)

Im looking for an cheap usable tablet for the one switch project effort.

starhawk

#47 Post by starhawk »

...and a Mele is well beyond outside of my price range. I can barely afford the T004...

jamesbond

#48 Post by jamesbond »

Starhawk, unfortunately, 01micko is right :shock:

Compared to the ARM world, x86 world suddenly looks very homogenous. PAE or non-PAE discussions suddenly feels like kid's talk.

ARM world is very different from x86. In ARM world, every ARM device is different - it has different CPUs (with different capabilities which can't even be probed by software), different chip features (which can't be probed by software), different peripherals (which can't be probed by software) ... in x86 world, every laptop or desktop may be different but *almost all* of them have PCI busses and these features can be probed by software - thus enabling auto-configuration. There is no such thing on ARM :shock:

Case in point - a few posts earlier Ted Dog asked how to access his SATA disk and I said, load the sw_ahci_platform module. But FD-Arm already comes with udev, and udev is supposed to automatically load modules when a particular is detected, right? Right? Yes --- except that udev on ARM can't probe that the platform has SATA support to begin with :( thus it must be loaded manually.

Thus every single device will need work. FD-Arm is currently configured for Mele A1000 but it will definitely needs re-configuration for Mele M5. Have you seen this link: Adopting FatdogArm?

How about others? Look here: Official Fedora Arm 19 release notes and here: Fedora Arm 19 remixes. As you can see, almost every other ARM platform gets its own distribution ... Same story with Debian too.

Coming nearer to home, Mavrothal is currently adapting FD-Arm for OLPC. No, not for OLPC, for XO laptop. No, not for XO laptop, it is for XO-4 laptop. When done, he will probably come out with a specific image for XO-4 laptop. This makes it easier for people to get the image, dd it into a USB stick and boots it up on XO-4. But someone has to prepare for it. And so that it is noted, the image for XO-4 will not work on XO-1.75 although both are ARM platforms and both are using Marvell CPU (different model though). It is that specific. (I will be the one working on XO-1.75 laptop). 01micko did the same for Pandora - without his work FD-Arm *will not boot* on it. He may release his own adapted version of FD-Arm sooner or later.

To conclude: the only sure fire way to get FD-Arm (or any other ARM distro out there) to work on a specific ARM device is to get someone to test, adapt and package FD-ARM for that device. Only then you can just get a downloadable image with a few easy steps to follow (dd to SD card, etc).

If not, then one must take the path less travelled. I can be your guide and tell you pointers and perhaps some generic steps, but since I do not own the specific device you have in mind I will not be able to tell you exactly the steps to do or why certain things won't or can't work (well, this is true in Fatdog64 too); but before we even being the path, as Micko pointed out above, one must be equipped with certain skills which can be learned along the way. The only consolation I can offer is that the journey will be fun (if you like that sort of fun :twisted: ).

====

@Ted Dog,
From the spec, the Onda looks like it uses standard A10, so that's quite identical to what Mele A1000. The only thing to worry about is the "script.bin", the touchscreen driver, and the wireless driver.

@Starhawk,
The T004 is based on A10s (which is sun5i, not sun4i like A10), so it will require a different boot loader, a different kernel, and its "script.bin". It's a stick so we can forget about the touchscreen, but still beware of the wireless driver.

----

To know what driver is being used for these devices, install Android "Terminal" app, launch it, and from there do "ls /sys/modules". You will get an indication of all the drivers being used. If looking for touchscreen, do "cat /proc/bus/input/devices" and peruse it.

To copy the script.bin, look at here: http://linux-sunxi.org/Submitting_Boards, the easiest is the second from the bottom ("script.bin from nanda mount"), but it requires that your device is rooted (only root can mount /dev/block/nanda for good reasons). If it is not rooted you must use other (much more) convoluted way, unfortunately.

And without the right script.bin, the chance that FD-Arm will work on the device is approximately zero.

----

@Starhawk, no I'm not advocating you to get Mele A1000. It is an old device, as Ted Dog pointed out it may not even be avalable anymore; nor do I want to tell you to get anything outside your purchasing power.

But I do hope you understand the issues - whatever device you choose, it's going to be complicated (and devices like CX-01 multiply the complications by many times to the point that it isn't worth it anymore).

cheers!

Ted Dog

#49 Post by Ted Dog »

The BeagleBone Black is like the device you stated for the same general price range, and is designed from the ground up as a hacker playground, while I like the price points for cheap china crap,especially hackabl3 ones, they come with a host of nagging problems that can't be solved without lot effort, and a technical friend that speak Chinese.
http://beagleboard.org/

It's from Texas so there may still be a language problem, for you foreigners :twisted: Doesn't affect me... I just wish I could pick one up in person. :P

starhawk

#50 Post by starhawk »

Beaglebone Black is $45. Plus I'd have to get a 5v 2a wall wart somewhere -- I don't have one here. eBay wall warts are bad for one's health, of course, so it will be a little expensive. I could get the MicroHDMI->HDMI cable on eBay tho...

I'll think about it but I'm not enthusiastic.