Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 27 Nov 2014, 13:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
root login
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
logos

PostPosted: Tue 27 Aug 2013, 20:59    Post subject:  root login
Subject description: How to create a root login/password without losing hotkey for screen lock

Hey there,

I've spent quite some time on the subject described above --i.e. I edited /etc/inittab to remove the autologin (Slacko Puppy 5.5), otherwise leaving it the same. I started with:

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

and ended up with:

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
tty3::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

Then I changed the password (actually created one), and after restarting got a login screen where user: root and password: my password worked just fine.

However, for some reason, the hotkey combo I had configured earlier for the screen lock stopped working. I could still invoke by clicking on the icon, etc. I forgot how I configured the hotkey before, so I checked the JWM window manager settings and did not see it. (I think I initially set the hotkey in a different way...).

In any case, when I put inittab back to its original form and restarted, the screen lock hot key worked again, even though when I checked the window manager savings, it was the same as before, as expected

It would be really nice if I could solve this problem for the present case, and also for any other hotkeys I create in the future.

Best,

logos
L18L

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 05:35    Post subject: Re: root login
Subject description: How to create a root login/password without losing hotkey for screen lock

Hi logos,

I have also spent some time trying to reproduce your problem
...without success Rolling Eyes

I am using Puppy RasPi (nothing other available at the moment).

Let us hope that others will follow and confirm you or me Wink
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 05:53    Post subject:  

Hmm curious

I have no answer and I dont use screen lock but my multiuser pups have
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
instead of mingetty
tty1::respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1

Not sure if that makes any significant difference
The older pups used
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/autologinroot 38400 tty1
for autologin.

There are other changes... indeed the tty's are not even logged into unless X is closed.

mike
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 07:41    Post subject:  

Quote:
Let us hope that others will follow and confirm you or me Wink

Screenlock, Thrash and Xarchiver Icons are the first ones that are getting removed on my side .

But have put a flag file in my brain's HD for the future to check for this .

For the hotkey I have no idea but xbindkeys or jwmconfig commands .
logos

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 17:06    Post subject: "Fixed"
Subject description: Second restart

Thank you for the replies. Yes, it must have been something else besides jwm that I used (based on a blog) to set my hotkey.

In any case (and I checked this twice), after making the change to inittab, and restarting, the hotkey did not work *the first time*. However, on the second restart and thereafter, it began working. Now that is strange.

It may have been that a second, hard shutdown was needed (or two soft restarts) for it to take, but that makes no sense to me.

...and thinks need to make sense in Linux!

logos
npierce

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 17:32    Post subject:  

Hi logos,

Welcome to the forum.

This is a strange one. I too have failed to reproduce it (and I am also using Slacko 5.5 at the moment). I cannot begin to guess why switching from autologin to a manual login could affect the configuration of a hotkey. But I've seen stranger things.

What key, or combination of keys, are you using for the hotkey? It could make a difference, so the answer to that could provide a clue.

Are you able to reproduce the problem consistently?

If so, it might be helpful if you could run the following three commands in a terminal window. Run them once when the hotkey is working, and then again when it is not. Then post the output in your next post.
Code:
echo $HOME
grep -i Xlock $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
grep -ir Xlock $HOME/.jwm* | grep key
logos

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 17:39    Post subject: "Fixed"
Subject description: Edit Item

I just realized that I used "Edit Item" in the context menu for the keyboard icon for xlock to set the hotkey. Funny, I did not see it in either the jwm settings or xbindkeys -v.

Perhaps the type of binding I used, combined with the removal of auto root login, somehow resulted in the binding taking only on the second restart.

best,

logos
logos

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 17:42    Post subject: "Fixed"
Subject description: Hyper+l

I used the key combo Hyper + l, the latter being the "ell" key. The Hyper key has the Windows logo on it on PC keyboards.

thanks
logos

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 18:06    Post subject: "Fixed"
Subject description: Delayed "take"

I get the same result with or without autologin, after restart:

# echo $HOME
/root
# grep -i Xlock $HOME/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin
<icon x="992" y="72" label="lock" shortcut="Hyper+l">/usr/local/apps/Xlock</icon>
# grep -ir Xlock $HOME/.jwm* | grep key
#

However, this time even with the autologin (default Puppy 5.5), there was a delay after restart for the hotkey to work. I probably got the desktop before all the settings file were read.

Also, this time around without the autologin, the hotkey worked, and without delay.

I think it just depends when the appropriate settings fille is read. Still, it appears to be spurious behavior. Earlier, without the autologin, the hotkey did not work even after a while...

logos
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:12    Post subject:  

Probably the contacts inside the keyboard are getting a bit rusty . Sometimes I need to hit the key that toggles the keyboard attached to my machines from us to de layout several times .
But that began after i disassembled the keyboard to clean up inside . Many metal spring supported large keys like shift or backspace behave the same spurious now .
npierce

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2013, 16:11    Post subject:  

Thanks for providing the output from those commands. As you have probably guessed, since the output was the same both times, this doesn't give us a clue. It does verify that, as you eventually remembered, you used ROX-Filer to set the hotkey.

logos wrote:
However, this time even with the autologin (default Puppy 5.5), there was a delay after restart for the hotkey to work. I probably got the desktop before all the settings file were read.

This could be. Starting things immediately after X loads has often been a problem. Sometimes it takes awhile to "let the dust settle first", as Barry says in his delayedrun script. This is usually more noticeable on slower PCs.

On my PC, running Slacko 5.5, I repeatedly ran xwin and hit Hyper+l as soon as the desktop appeared. My PC had no problem doing that, but other PCs might. (If I hit it too early, just before the desktop appeared, and kept the Hyper key down, it wouldn't work after the desktop appeared until I first released the Hyper key and pressed it again -- but I assume you aren't pressing keys that early.) Anyway, there doesn't see to be any unique problem with this particular key combination.

logos wrote:
Also, this time around without the autologin, the hotkey worked, and without delay.

So it appears that autologin may not be involved here.

If, now that you have rebooted a couple of times, the hotkey seems to be working OK for you, great.

If you are still having problems, I am running out of ideas.

In Slacko 5.5, one of the programs started soon after X and ROX-Filer load is xbindkeys. You could try:
Code:
xbindkeys -s

to see if there is a conflicting entry for Hyper+l, but even if there was, I don't think that there would be a problem because ROX-Filer grabs the key before xbindkeys gets a chance to grab it. And even if xbindkeys did grab the key first, I would expect that the hotkey you set with ROX-Filer would stop working after a delay, not start working. So I would say that it is very unlikely that the answer lies there.

And, as Karl suggested, it could even be a flaky hardware problem.

I wish I could shed more light on this.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: